Verbatim & the new Liteon 52X burner?

I read about Liteon burners and incompatibility with Verbatim CDR disc ?

Does anyone know if this problem is solved in the new Liteon 52X CDR burner or is it still there ?

I’m a big fan of Verbatim CDR disc - but I think I might just get this new Liteon 52X burner for my birthday - so I hope I’ll be able to burn Verbatim disc in it :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dr.ralph
[B]I read about Liteon burners and incompatibility with Verbatim CDR disc ?

Does anyone know if this problem is solved in the new Liteon 52X CDR burner or is it still there ?

I’m a big fan of Verbatim CDR disc - but I think I might just get this new Liteon 52X burner for my birthday - so I hope I’ll be able to burn Verbatim disc in it :rolleyes: [/B]

I don’t have any problems, even when I burn 40x certified Verbatim at 52x…

Verbatim DataLifePlus Super Azo 40x
Burned at 52x with Smartburn off. No errors.

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 34s 23f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Mitsubishi,Colombo
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

Jovo…did you use the 52 cdrw to read for errors on these verbatim datalife plus Super Azo???

I have some 40x cdr from TY and they show no errors in my LTD 163 but in the 52246S (non overclocked) I get about 2% errors

the 52246S is one very sensitive reader…these errors are seen at max read speed if I slow down to 24x therre are none…I have not tried a 40-48x read speed

I should note I wrote 2 40x TY cdrs with about 500mg…one at 40x and one at max speed with smartburn enabled…there were more errors in 52xcdrw with the disc written at 40x than max speed

Originally posted by nealh
Jovo…did you use the 52 cdrw to read for errors on these verbatim datalife plus Super Azo???

Nealh, the read check was done on the 52246S. Sometime ago I also posted the results using 32x TY burned at 52x without errors. Since your message, I also read the disc in my Pioneer 106S DVD-Rom and no errors were encountered, but the average read speed was only 20.2x.

The TY disk also averaged error free at 20.2x, so perhaps my Pioneer is on the way out!

incompatibility with Verbatim CDR disc

Dr.Ralph
Suggest you have a look at the posted media tests linked below. It’s not so much a compatability problem as it is that Verbatim media are not all entirely adequate for high speed burning, their quality control seems to vary quite a bit. Neither of my drives, (48x and 52x) will reliably burn them above 40x.

On my 52/24 they work exellent. i’ve already burned about 15 things with the 48x Verbs at 48x and no problems or errors.

It is interresting to me how varied the media is…my 40x TY will not burn error free to the 52246S but are error free if I slow the read speed from max on the 52 to 24x…I will do a few more tests it is possible my 52x is a bad drive too

It could be clonecd as well …maybe the burn quality is off…I did notice when i first got the 48x cdrw that with some versions of Nero the burn quality seem less than winoncd and clonecd

it is possible my 52x is a bad drive

I also questioned my 52 drive’s reading ability, due to the speed. but I double checked all the read tests using my 48x drive, (which has always been a great reader), and the results were the same.
I believe that the 52x drive is just exceeding the ability of the media. At these speeds, the tolerance for irregularity in the dye or even the disc itself are very low. I also double check the media in the 52x drive by burning it at 48x, and the results almost exactly match the 48x burner.

rdgrimes…the funny thing is the cdr I burn in the 52x cdrw when read for errors in my LTD 163 are error free…except for protection related errors …

My ltd 163 was more sensitive reader than my old 48125W(o/ced 40125W)…so i get a perfect read from the LTD 163 but errors with the 52246S so not sure if this 52x reading being a problem, fw not up to par or media…more likely a combo…24x reading I get no errors with 52246S

I have found the LTD 163 is better with newer fw…I really thought early on it was reading too many errors off the 48x cdrw but with newer fw to support discs I think this got better…also the VS08 was a very good fw for 48125W drives IMHO

I also have a 163D drive, F/W GHR5. I used to use it for reading cause it showed far fewer errors than my burners. Then I got lucky with my 48x burner, it shows about the same errors as the 163D on a given CDR. The 52x drive is also about the same.

One thing I have noticed wth the 52x drive is that when Smartburn engages during the late part of the burn, and slows the speed, there is often an unreadable error at that point. This occurs with a variety of media, and only at 52x speed, not at 48x speed.

that is interesting about the unreadable sector…I burned a clonecd image…it had a late unreadable sector image is about 400-500mg as I recall…I burned on the 40x media(TY)…at 52 x and at 40x…got and unreadable sector in the same place at both speeds…the LTD 163 had this unreadable sector but no other errors for both discs…smart burn did not kick in at 40x but did at 52x and the end of the burn slowed down

with the 52x as reader I got damaged sectors and the unreadable in the same place…so it maybe my clonecd image has an unreadable sector late…I need ot check the orginial…very strange

I alos think that various cdrs on my TY spindle have varying quality…unusually IMO for TY not in the case of some CMC 40x cdr I had

these same TY 40x cdr burned without a hitch at 48x on my old 48125W with VS08 with no errors as read by the LTD 163 which as I said was more sensitive than my 48125W for reading errors

I need to check a NOLF2 BWA with the 52x cdrw and see how it reads vs BWA imade off my old 48125…still have the bwa…might be interesting to read the read quality differrences

Rdgrimes
I noticed you said the results were the same for 48x burning in 52x cdrw as with your 48x writer…I have not found this to be the case using clonecd 4.0.1.11…I keep getting unreadable sector late in the burn

I just used the include 48x prodisc that came with burner and it burned 690 mg in 2:25 with no errors at all and no slowdowns…finally speed was 51x using the 52x cdrw as the reader

Clearly the media is key I need to try and find more 48x prodisc

I don`t know about problems with faster Verbatim media on this drive, but I had no problems burning at 24x on 16x Verbatim DatalifePlus Azo yesterday (first attempt at burning on a new drive)

Quick question - can someone mention if the faster burn speeds unlock when you use decent media ? (mine only listed up to 24x but im using 16x media at best) - this is a replacement drive to a 4x ive been using for the last 2 years !

Incidentally, the new drive also burned happily at 8x on cheap nasty unrated speed 80min LeadData CDRs (I didnt want to risk higher), but my previous drive couldnt do a thing with them.

Hello rdgrimes!

One thing I have noticed wth the 52x drive is that when Smartburn engages during the late part of the burn, and slows the speed, there is often an unreadable error at that point. This occurs with a variety of media, and only at 52x speed, not at 48x speed.

I don’t think it is the burners fault. This could be a motherboard / IDE problem. Because my burner had the same symptoms like yours. I thought that it was the burners fault. But it wasn’t. I found out that it was a IDE issue.

To minimize the problem I uninstalled the VIA IDE drivers. And BANG it works great. Even if I got hundreds of bufferunderrun and the Smartburn kicks in, I still get 100 % working CD. I tested the CD in Nero CD Speed. 0 errors. hmm, inpressive! :slight_smile:

I got another problem before I even have burned a bount of CD’s. I got a strange error in the middle of the burning when I burned in RAW-DAO. I change the IDE cable from ultra 100 cable to a old fasion ultra 33 cable. And I got ridd of the problem. That was clearly a motherboard issue.

So my statement is… Don’t allways blame the burner. It could be you computer that’s having some issues. Maybe some lake of IDE performance??? I don’t know…

/Dyzan

which IDE drivers did you remove…VIA 4n1’s???

without the 4-in-1 drivers, my system performs MUCH slower, the IDE drives in particular.
The error only occurs on certain media, it may be a firmware issue with the drive, or even Nero causing it. It rarely occurs at 48x speed. Whether the unrecoverable sector is a result of the SmartBurn pause, or the cause of it, is anybody’s guess.

@ nealh

• Yes, It was 4in1 drivers i mean. and only the IDE-drivers.

@ rdgrimes

• Well, it maybe depends on what chipset you have on the motherboard. I have Via KT133 chipsets with 686A. And I don’t cry if I remove the Via IDE drivers because I have a Highpoint RAID that my HD’s are running on. And I can not se any performance lack in my system. Maybe there is, if I run HD’s on the Via controller.

And I think. smartburn is not the cause of the bad burn you have. It’s more probebly coruption in the data that being sent to the burner. ( Note! coruption can hapend when smartburn is kicking in if you have IDE problems) I have seen it before.

If you found what that couse is and fix it, you maybe can get it to work without errors. Maybe Motherboard bios upgrade??? And of course. We maybe not say for shure that the burners firmware is the couse.

And one thing more… I have seen this errors on intel systems to. Not only on AMD systems.

/Dyzan

http://liteon.notrix.net

I also have perfect burns with my 52246S and Verbatim 48x media. They are great, even with my 48125W.

Also they burn fast, 2:24 for 703MB.