Verbatim RITEK F16 001

vbimport

Hello Everybody. I recently purchased a bulk of Verbatim DVD +R 16X Verbatim, but I found these discs have a media code named RITEK F16 001 according to DVD Identifier.

My doubt is about these discs. Can I Trust on them to store my files for a long term like two or maybe three years?. I need your opinions and recommendations cause I’m from Argentina and here is really hard to find good quality discs like SONY and unfortunately brands like Taiyo Yuden are not sold in this country. :sad:

Others discs that I can buy are these :rolleyes:

PHILIPS -R 16x with media code CMC MAG. AM3
SONY +R 16x with media code SONY D21
IMATION -R 16x with media code MBI 01RG40

Sorry if the information is wrong or replied already. I’m new here and this is my first post. :slight_smile:

Thanks and Greetings From Argentina. :bigsmile:

Hello Arctic-Dragon,
welcome to the forum! :bigsmile:
RITEK F16s are not the highest quality media available, but they are pretty stable and reliable and definitely should last for at least 3-4 years.
By the way, what burner do you have?

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2492667]Hello Everybody. I recently purchased a bulk of Verbatim DVD +R 16X Verbatim, but I found these discs have a media code named RITEK F16 001 according to DVD Identifier.

My doubt is about these discs. Can I Trust on them to store my files for a long term like two or maybe three years?. I need your opinions and recommendations cause I’m from Argentina and here is really hard to find good quality discs like SONY and unfortunately brands like Taiyo Yuden are not sold in this country. :sad:

Others discs that I can buy are these :rolleyes:

PHILIPS -R 16x with media code CMC MAG. AM3
SONY +R 16x with media code SONY D21
IMATION -R 16x with media code MBI 01RG40

Sorry if the information is wrong or replied already. I’m new here and this is my first post. :slight_smile:

Thanks and Greetings From Argentina. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Hi pepst, thanks for the answer and for the welcome :bigsmile:, is good to know that about these discs :). It was very disappointing when I saw that they were not Verbatim. :eek:

I think I cannot trust anymore on Verbatim, so I will have to purchase SONY discs maybe. :confused:

My burner is a LG GH20NS15. By the way what strategy is better for the RITEK F16? 4x or 8x?. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Out of your media choices, I would select the Sony, and then the Philips as a second choice.

I would suggest a burn speed of 8 or 12x for the RITEK’s you have now.

There has been a few discussions on here in the past about South America getting second rate Verbatim discs.

See here:

http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-mbi-01rg40-worst-dvd-220847/

http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-dvd-r-ritek-r05-01-a-229287/

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2492819]Out of your media choices, I would select the Sony, and then the Philips as a second choice.

I would suggest a burn speed of 8 or 12x for the RITEK’s you have now.

There has been a few discussions on here in the past about South America getting second rate Verbatim discs.

See here:

http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-mbi-01rg40-worst-dvd-220847/

http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-dvd-r-ritek-r05-01-a-229287/[/QUOTE]

Thanks jubjubbird for the info. :wink: Everything is more clear for me now and its seems that other brands are selling fake discs too. The worst for me is that you can’t see the media code until you put the disc in the burner. :frowning:

Why 8x or 12x.? Its not better to burn more slowly than faster?

Thank you :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2492824]Why 8x or 12x.? Its not better to burn more slowly than faster?[/QUOTE]

With todays burners and media slower than 8x isn’t always better. :disagree:
8x or 12x is a good speed to burn at for any brand of 16x media. :iagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2492937]With todays burners and media slower than 8x isn’t always better. :disagree:
8x or 12x is a good speed to burn at for any brand of 16x media. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Thanks getit29, I didn’t know that.:slight_smile: I will burn at 8x or 12x then.:iagree: You know in many places of internet there are much people saying that “burn slow at 4x is better than others speeds and it will be more accurate and with less errors.”

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2492946]Thanks getit29, I didn’t know that.:slight_smile: I will burn at 8x or 12x then.:iagree: You know in many places of internet there are much people saying that “burn slow at 4x is better than others speeds and it will be more accurate and with less errors.”[/QUOTE]
Your welcome Arctic-Dragon glad to help

Have a look at this post about slower burns posted by Albert

[QUOTE=getit29;2492953]Your welcome Arctic-Dragon glad to help

Have a look at this post about slower burns posted by Albert

Thanks again friend. I readed the whole post and it was very useful. Just a few times I burned a DVD with 4x but the burn was successful and with no errors.:bigsmile: Even then I scanned the discs with CDCheck, a Free tool for testing CD and DVD and it couldnt find any errors. :disagree:

Anyway I will not take the same risk again. I will burn at 8x or 12x as well. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2492946]…in many places of internet there are much people saying…[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard a similar saying before: “…in many places of hell there are much people saying…”

I consider them both to be equivalent.

[QUOTE=negritude;2493129]I’ve heard a similar saying before: “…in many places of hell there are much people saying…”

I consider them both to be equivalent.[/QUOTE]

Well, I never heard something like that before, I just told that but I didn’t know that quote. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2493265]Well, I never heard something like that before, I just told that but I didn’t know that quote. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I was only joking. :bigsmile:

The point is, the opinions of people on other boards count for little compared to the expertise found here. :cool:

[QUOTE=negritude;2493327]I was only joking. :bigsmile:

The point is, the opinions of people on other boards count for little compared to the expertise found here. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Hehe well I didn’t know you was joking, sometimes is hard to understand some emotions through a forum. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2492824]Everything is more clear for me now and its seems that other brands are selling fake discs too. The worst for me is that you can’t see the media code until you put the disc in the burner. :([/QUOTE]

Actually, the big name brands subcontract the manufacture of their blank optical media to other companies these days. While Sony still provides its own stampers and dye technology to the manufacturer(s) of its choice, many of the other companies now actually let the actual manufacturers use their own OEM technology because the brand-name contracts of those companies now involve only the branding of the discs.

In other words, these are essentially all legitimate “branded” discs. It’s just that nowadays hardly any of the big brand-name companies manufacture their own blank optical media any more.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2493833]In other words, these are essentially all legitimate “branded” discs. It’s just that nowadays hardly any of the big brand-name companies manufacture their own blank optical media any more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, is like that. :iagree: Unfortunately many people do not know this and they purchase a Brand thinking “This is Brand X, a quality brand, I’m sure its good”.

So I intentionally bought a 100pk of Verbatim’s cheapo non-AZO DVD+R media in tape wrap to see what sort of low cost media Verbatim was willing to put their name to. These are not their Life Series or Value Series discs. The discs have a MID of RITEK F16 001. Here are some scans…

Pioneer DVR-217L 1.10
Verbatim 16x branded DVD+R (non AZO)
MID: RITEK F16 001
16x burn

Pioneer DVR-217L 1.10
12x burn

Pioneer DVR-217L 1.10
8x burn