Verbatim Professional Optical Media

vbimport

This has already discussed partly in other threads, but can anyone guess why Verbatim only markets DVD-R discs as their Professional Optical Media? Why not also DVD+R? And also why only printable discs? I was under the impression that DVD+R being newer had some advantages over DVD-R. I have been using mostly DVD+R media for years. Was I wrong all this time?

Where do you see that their “professional optical media” is only DVD-R & not DVD+R?

The following product codes exist in USA: 95052, 94889, 94812

I looked around and I can’t find any matching product codes (starting with 4) for the EU region on the Verbatim Europe website nor in EU retailers. I’m guessing they don’t consider the EU market lucrative enough to invest in so they only have DVD-R professional media there. But they do sell regular Verbatim DVD+R discs there which is the same stuff anyway.

And no you were not wrong, DVD+R does feature better defect management during recording among other benefits which you can read more about here.

[QUOTE=Albert;2787092]Where do you see that their “professional optical media” is only DVD-R & not DVD+R?[/QUOTE]

http://www.verbatim-marcom.com/image_Verbatim-_storage-and-accessories-brochure-2016-high-res_375595.pdf

[QUOTE=aztekk;2787093]The following product codes exist in USA: 95052, 94889, 94812[/QUOTE]

The above product codes are for DVD+R 4.7GB 8X discs that do not exist as “regular” optical media in Europe.

[QUOTE=aztekk;2787093]But they do sell regular Verbatim DVD+R discs there which is the same stuff anyway.[/QUOTE]

It’s difficult for me to accept that they market the same discs as both Professional and “regular” optical media.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2787094]
The above product codes are for DVD+R 4.7GB 8X discs that do not exist as “regular” optical media in Europe.[/QUOTE]

You didn’t specify you were looking for any specific speed rating. There is no 16x DataLifePlus DVD+R available from Verbatim anywhere. And I couldn’t even find those 8x discs in European online stores.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2787094]
It’s difficult for me to accept that they market the same discs as both Professional and “regular” optical media.[/QUOTE]

Quality-wise they are the same. Just different branding for different market segments. If they had better quality they would cost more, but they are priced about the same.

[QUOTE=aztekk;2787095]You didn’t specify you were looking for any specific speed rating. There is no 16x DataLifePlus DVD+R available from Verbatim anywhere. And I couldn’t even find those 8x discs in European online stores.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that they are indeed the same media, it’s strange why there is no 16x DataLifePlus DVD+R available. If the 8x discs were available in Europe I would get them as they are probably better than the 16x discs, but unfortunately they are not.

The entirety of that catalog you linked to shows a bias toward DVD-R. There are many more options for DVD-R than for DVD+R. I’m guessing this is a response to market demand, and/or their way of streamlining operations.

I’m of the thought that MCC 003 and MCC 004 generally scan better than MCC 02RG20 and MCC 03RG20, with performance being roughly equal.

But yeah, the “professional” title means just that – for professional/prosumer use. No guaranteed quality difference (maybe there’s tighter quality regulation or a different kind of warranty). And since many businesses want unbranded, printable media, that’s what they provide.

That it gets branded as DataLifePlus is just a guarantee that it’s AZO (which, for the most part, means MCC/MKM codes). Compare to having to make sure you get AZO discs when ordering regular consumer media, where the packaging and naming is very similar across variants.

I don’t think DVD+R advantages over DVD-R.

That why M-Disc used DVD-R and not DVD+R.

^ I think you mean M-Disc uses DVD+R, not DVD-R.

@kyrcy: It seems you’ve been interested in this topic for a while. http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-dvd-r-16x-datalifeplus-wide-inkjet-professional-322413/ :wink:

[QUOTE=Albert;2787124]@kyrcy: It seems you’ve been interested in this topic for a while. http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-dvd-r-16x-datalifeplus-wide-inkjet-professional-322413/ ;)[/QUOTE]

I forgot about that thread. It’s sometimes scary how time flies.

[QUOTE=Albert;2787124]^ I think you mean M-Disc uses DVD+R, not DVD-R.

@kyrcy: It seems you’ve been interested in this topic for a while. http://club.myce.com/f33/verbatim-dvd-r-16x-datalifeplus-wide-inkjet-professional-322413/ ;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry I though M-Disc used DVD-R.

If M-Disc used DVD+R it would mean DVD+R advantages over DVD-R.