Verbatim pi55e5 me off!

Hi folks!

Get this one:

I bought a 40pcs package of “Verbatim DataLife” 40x cert. CDRs
a couple of days ago. The CDRs are made by CMC, which means
IMHO “Crappy Media Company”!!

I used two writers:

LiteOn LTR-48125W / VS02 / NERO 5.5.9.9. (allows 48x max!)
Cyberdrive CW058D / 140D / NERO 5.5.9.9

Now please take a look at this screenshot.
The CDR was burned @ 12x!!! :a

I think you can imagine how bad the results are when I use
higher recording speeds.
I used both writers for testing + various writing speeds +
various firmare.
But the truth is that Verbatim is selling pure 5|-|17!!! :Z

IMHO they should cross out “DataLife” on the package…

-Hombre

Hombre is me. I rule. You don’t.

thats pretty dodgy :eek:

this was a lesson i also had to learn the hard way. remember that datalife=crap and datalife plus= excellence. anyway you said that burning at a higher speed would make them even worse. this isnt true. liteons are designed for high speed so try burning at 24, 32 or even 40x if you havent already done so. one last thing, liteon are not compatible with the proper verbatims either.

The CDRs are that good, that sometimes (well, often!) this happens…

The drive is spinning the CDR up an down and in the end it
stops with a power calibration error. (same behaviour with the
Cyberdrive)

Originally posted by cd pirate
this was a lesson i also had to learn the hard way. remember that datalife=crap and datalife plus= excellence. anyway you said that burning at a higher speed would make them even worse. this isnt true. liteons are designed for high speed so try burning at 24, 32 or even 40x if you havent already done so. one last thing, liteon are not compatible with the proper verbatims either.

Hmm, so you admit verbatim is not always fantastic :slight_smile:

I believe any and all companies that sell crap (and I am talking about cd media here) should be shut down (sued).

There are many well known companies that sell good discs, mediocre disks, and crap disks, and you take pot luck - this should not happen, they should be shut down plain and simple.

In essence, they are selling stuff not fit for the purpose intended and that should be illegal - legalised extortion comes to mind.

Whats supposed to be wrong with Verbatims and Liteons . I,ve just bought an 40125S and used it to make a backup of MOHAA and burnt it onto a Datalife plus fresh out of a 50 tub that I got before I changed my burner with standard game settings on CloneCD 4 and thete doesn’t seem anything wrong with it to me . Will I start having problems with these verb disks or not .

LiteOn’s have some issues they need to sort out before i will ever consider buying a product of theirs.

This is one of them. They don’t like anything with AZO Dye in it - especially the SuperAzo verbatims or Mitsubishi’s, but even older Metal AZO ones can fail easily in LiteOn’s.

W00t?

My 12101B has always burned Verbatims without complaining!
I guess it is starting to get so old that noone remembers it anymore? :slight_smile:

Maybe the problem was when they changed the chipset supplier to Mediatek.

gee that’s funny Lite on have some issues

What issues beside being the best burner out there dollar for dollar

verbatim or Mitsubishi’s, these run fine on my burner

When you buy verbatim buy datalife plus or do not buy verbatim

Buy ,Media made in JAPAN and you will be ok

The system
antec mid tower case
300 watt powerman power supply
AMD Althon XP 1800 1533 MHZ
mother board Asus A7V266 Socket A DDR
REV 266
Bios version 1002C
Coolmaster heat sink
RAM DDR SDram 512 meg,266 MHZ,PC 2100
Hard drive IBM 40 U100/7200RPM
CD burner Plextor 12/10/32A
CD burner Lite-on 40125S black
CDROM asus 52x CD-ROM
GEforce 3 driver 2942
Sound blaster live Xgamer
Speakers KLIPSCH/THX
Modem USA PCi V90/FAX
Network card Intel EtherExpress PRO 10/100 9460CS
Windows XP Home edition
Key board microsoft natural key board PRO
Mouse Mircrosoft Intellimouse Explore
3D mark 6884

Also a 733 Coppermine pent3
But that is another story

Originally posted by Fallen
Maybe the problem was when they changed the chipset supplier to Mediatek.

I think that could have an influence on it - quite frankly, LiteOn’s just aren’t good enough qualitywise to warrant spending more on one than on an LG, or Asus (in NZ they are all around the same price).

For NZ$150 i can buy a 40x LG, or a 40x ASUS. The 40x LiteOn costs $180.

Best bang for buck? i think not.

i also have to question the quality of liteon. why do plextor, ricoh, sony, yamaha and other companies have their drives a prices twice as much as liteon?? its great that liteon can do all these protections and whatever but whats the use if it cant burn a cd properly. most of the time you will get what you paid for. ive seen 40x liteons for less that $120. thats dirt cheap.

@cd pirate: you’re obviously confused. This post shows that you want to take down liteons without having any argument: Sonys are made by LiteOn! Its impossible that Sonys are better or worse than LiteOns!

@Hombre: Verbatim DataLife is crap media made by CMC or Multimedia Masters & Machinery! You shouldn’t use this!

So you don’t like lite-on burner

Then buy a Sony or a TDK maybe a Memorex. How about buying a new Dell custom build with a burner installed .
In all of the following cases you just bought a lite-on. You may have one and don’t even know it.
There are other companies that also use lite-on and just slap there own name on the box :slight_smile:

You bought a good burner ,now give it some good media !

Seems simple enough to me.

Verbatim Data Life Plus are great cdrs (with which I agree).

Verbatim Data Life are absolute c**p (and should be avoided at all costs).

Here less than 1% of burners are LiteOns OR LiteOn rebrands :slight_smile:
They’re expensive as hell, and not worth it. I guess the prices here are just really odd…

LG, Samsung, CyberDrive, Optorite, ALL have more market share than LiteOn here, because the drives are not really worth it.

Of course, there are Sonys here. 24x Sonys run for US$200, 32x LGs run for US$65. You do the math of which one people buy.
Not to say LiteOn are bad, but their burn quality isn’t stellar. Good, for sure, but not the highest.

Also, I’ve seen some Sonys that were AOpen (A2/E2) and BTC (A3/E3) models. But that’s out of the topic.

The truth is, 24x or more DLP doesn’t work well with Liteys. Burn, but C2 appear. I’m not sure about the other MTK burners, as those discs are VERY expensive around here.

Hey Fallen… I understand that if Liteons sell for more in your area, that they’re not a best buy. Where I am, Liteon’s and LG’s and Asus are all the same price. I chose the Liteon since it seems to have the best media compatibility and one of the best track records. LG is apparently very good as well, but just because more people have said good things about the Liteon, I’ll keep buying them until I hear bad things about them.

Liteon’s may not have the absolute best burn quality, but I think only Plextor and Yamaha can beat it. Both drives cost twice as much and media compatibility with those 2 brands is definately not as good as Liteons.

Overall I still see the Liteon as best buy. At least in areas where prices are good.

I just bought a Lite-On 40125S

When burning on Verbatim DataLifePlus 48x:

[CDR Media Code Identifier 1.63]
ATIP: 97m 34s 23f
Disc Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemicals Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

[SMART-Burn]
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 34s 23f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = Mistubishi,Colombo
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

I get this result in WSES:

Is this normal??? When burning with a TDK48x:

[CDR Media Code Identifier 1.63]
ATIP: 97m 15s 05f
Disc Manufacturer: TDK Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

[SMART-Burn]
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 05f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = TDK M-dye
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

I get this result:

Now, are these results normal? Are the Verbatim DataLifePLus really this bad?? Or what am I doing wrong.

My 40125W doesn’t like Mitsubishi super azo discs either.

My LG burns Verbs Super Azo 32x @ 16x, but they burn nicely and low C1.