Verbatim PhotoSave DVD: a quick look

vbimport

Today September 23, 2008, Verbatim just launched its new product: PhotoSave DVD.

Full press release: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f94/verbatima-s-new-photosave-dvd-253094/

Surprisingly, FEDEX is now as fast as email. :stuck_out_tongue: Look what’s in the mail today:

oOo

Front package:

oOo

Back package. As you can see it says Made in Taiwan. :wink:

oOo

The disc

oOo

To be continue with checking the MID and some more features. :wink:

So let’s pop in a disc. There’s a pre-recorded data burned on the disc already.

oOo

Now lets check the ID with Nero CDSpeed (DiscSpeed).
MID = MCC02RG20, a well known good quality 8x DVD-R.

Hmm, the first 2MB was pre-recorded by Pioneer DVR-112 drive. :wink:

To be continue…

Now lets check the features.

When you insert a disc, we are welcome by the Verbatim PhotoSave software.

We can choose to copy pictures automatically from the pull down menu, or manual copy.

If we choose Manual Copy, here’s the screen:

After pressing “Record”, the software will begin copying…

Next time you insert a disc, this screen will pop up:

I think that’s about it. It’s a very nice feature in my opinion. :wink:

Seems to be more of a gimmick to me. Kinda seems like a disc for lazy people, backing up photos is easy, create a data disc in nero and drag your files over and then burn, my guess is probably every one here can do that.

Nice gimmick though

$3 a piece… no thanks

For dvd burning experts in this forum, it might be a gimmick but for newbies to burning I think this feature will be welcomed.

As for the price, yes I agree $3 per is too much given you can get the “normal” Verbatim DVD for a few cents. But hey… it’s still new… and it’s in single packs.

What happens if you copy the PhotoSave.exe program to your desktop, remove the PhotoSave DVD, insert a regular DVD, then run the PhotoSave.exe program manually? If the program works with regular DVDs while being run from a hard drive, you only need to buy someone 1 of these, have them copy the software to their drive, then they can use it with cheaper media.

Also, why can’t we simply take the software and make pre-recorded PhotoSave DVDs for family and friends, using cheaper media? Yeah, I know, that would be “stealing,” but I’m just curious if it would work.

Also, is anyone going to do a comparison between this and these:

Never mind, CDRLabs already has a review:

Thanks for the quick look, zevia! :slight_smile:

[quote=negritude;2131466]What happens if you copy the PhotoSave.exe program…

… Yeah, I know, that would be “stealing,” but I’m just curious if it would work.[/quote] Be curious all you want, but please don’t discuss ways of illegally copying software here.

If you can show me a license agreement which says copying of the software is allowed, then you can discuss it here.

[QUOTE=negritude;2131466]Also, why can’t we simply take the software and make pre-recorded PhotoSave DVDs for family and friends, using cheaper media? [B]Yeah, I know, that would be “stealing,[/B]” but I’m just curious if it would work.
[/QUOTE]

Stealing? Stealing is charging 3$ for a single DVD just because some small piece of software.

Very nice test, thanks.

The software actually looks quite similar to the one on “orlogix AutoMagic CD-R” (I have some of these)

[QUOTE=memberix;2131506]Stealing? Stealing is charging 3$ for a single DVD just because some small piece of software.[/QUOTE]

Amen. :clap:

The Self Recordable Media ™ technology appears to be developed by Soft-R Research LLC.

I don’t know if these are available in Europe yet, but I just sent off an email to Verbatim UK to find out. Fingers crossed. :wink:

I’d still rather get a free app and burn from there. Oh, I already have ImgBurn and a free Nero with my burner, not to mention Toast for my Mac.

Absolutely worthless for me. And being stingy doesn’t help.

…Although it seems worth it for yer mom and pops who don’t know jack about authoring programs and who’ll burn a total of ~25 DVDs in their whole lives.

But not for me.

[QUOTE=evo69;2131641]
…Although it seems worth it for yer mom and pops who don’t know jack about authoring programs and who’ll burn a total of ~25 DVDs in their whole lives.[/QUOTE]

You just described my mum :bigsmile:…she’s never burned a DVD, but burns plenty of CDs (with CloneCD…that and Burrrn are the only burning proggies she knows how to use). :wink:

She’d love these discs :iagree: (edit: so it’s a pity they don’t come in CDR flavour)…I wouldn’t mind testing some out, though. :slight_smile:

One more thing I’d like to point at for Verbatim… Isn’t this a typo? :eek: If I needed to span discs after 4.5MB I’d rather get any el cheapo dime CD-R at the local grocer. :stuck_out_tongue:

They probably meant GB. Now pay up Verbatim! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=evo69;2131664]One more thing I’d like to point at for Verbatim… Isn’t this a typo? :eek: If I needed to span discs after 4.5MB I’d rather get any el cheapo dime CD-R at the local grocer. :stuck_out_tongue:

They probably meant GB. Now pay up Verbatim! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

ROTFL!! Well spotted :bigsmile:

Edit: spotted another one - “Its Effortless” should be “Its Effortless” :wink:

Marketing = A+
Packaging = C-

Although I’d give disc design an A-, there’s something about wavy grids and plant curvilinearity that doesn’t mix. :stuck_out_tongue:

(I spend too much time in this board :eek:) Need to get back to real life responsibilities.

[QUOTE=memberix;2131506]Stealing? Stealing is charging 3$ for a single DVD just because some small piece of software.[/QUOTE]

Not stealing.

Your paying for
A - Small market. So less production, making it more expensive.
B - extra marketing
C - Software licenses.

For us folks this product is totally uninteresting, however for some other folks I clearly see a market.