Verbatim MediDisc?!?!?!

vbimport

I like verbatims like most people here, I was looking around the web and Verbs come in a configuration called a Medidisc, I was wondering what the difference was, has anyone here ever used them? and what does “DVD-R for authoring” mean? I have authored a few discs without using these? what am I missing out on?

Medidisc means that they were made for a specific market (ie Medical use for backup of records and files). They use a metal azo dye that is supposed to have a longer shelf life and produce high quality burns.

I’ve seen several different brands advertising “medical grade” and/or “archival grade” discs.

Medical records stored on optical discs, now there’s a scarey thought. :eek:
I wonder who teaches the minimum wage records clerks to handle and store discs?

“I wonder who teaches the minimum wage records clerks to handle and store discs?”

I so get your point. Really scary :eek: Brrrrrrr…

In this PDF file about Verbatim - DVD-R 8X MEDIDISC:
http://www.hardwaresend.de/redirect.php?action=url&goto=ec.ingrammicro.de%2Fpdf%2F2990958.pdf

you can read this:

DVD-R MediDisc 8x
There are txo DVD-R categories : general and authoring

General : . . . .

Authoring: . . . .
These discs kann be be read by all DVD drives bur can only be written by the Pioneer DVT-S201
. . . .

So does anybody know:
1°) if these Verbatim Medidisc are sold in 2 categories « General und Authoring », or only one: « Authoring »
2°) in case they are only sold in « Authoring » can they be written

• only by the Pioneer DVT-S201
  • or by any burner that is supporting their MID code ?

[QUOTE=franz99;2240760]So does anybody know:
1°) if these Verbatim Medidisc are sold in 2 categories « General und Authoring », or only one: « Authoring »
2°) in case they are only sold in « Authoring » can they be written

• only by the Pioneer DVT-S201
  • or by any burner that is supporting their MID code ?[/QUOTE]
  1. I have never heard about Medidisc for authoring media. AFAIK the only type of authoring media that Verbatim is still selling is Inkjet Printable DVD-R.
  2. only by the professional autthoring DVD-R drives (DVR-S201, DVT-S201)

My Verbatim MediDisc 8x DVD-R are normal General Purpose DVD-R and they can be burned by any drive that accepts MCC 02RG20.

…so pretty much in any DVD burner except my Matshita drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

I cannot think of a reason to make medical grade DVDs for authoring, so I don’t think such discs exist.

[B]Thanks a lot for your answers ![/B]

So in order to try this ‘Medidiscs’ I may buy some here:
http://www.hardwaresend.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=medidisc&x=0&y=8

and this only because the place where they sell them (HardwareSend at 79677 Schönau) is not far at all from where I usually go hiking in the Black Forest