Verbatim MCC004 Separating

Media: 16x

Verbatim 16x DVD+R MCC004
Hub Code: PAPA16KE05072788

I have a few discs that have started to separate on me damaging the dye/data layer within the disc.

Looking at the side profile of the disc the epoxy used to seal the two halves together is very sparse compared to a few other brands i’ve used.

Just posting this for others. Hope the info helps.

http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=verbimcc004ci2.png

Thanks for posting this Reconn. In chat you mentioned these were 2005 vintage I believe.

Any comments to add about your storage practices? Have these been subjected to much heat?

Yes, it would be interesting to know more about this. :eek:

I’ve had Maxell and TY discs doing that when falling onto their edge, but never just “on their own” without actual physical constraints. :confused:

[quote=Reconn;2199333]http://img129.imageshack.us/my.php?image=verbimcc004ci2.png[/quote] Clicky clicky … “Congratulations You Won! Write your name below [Click to claim]”

What did I win? Apparently not the right to see a picture of a bad Verbatim DVD!?! :confused:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2199490]Clicky clicky … “Congratulations You Won! Write your name below [Click to claim]”

What did I win? Apparently not the right to see a picture of a bad Verbatim DVD!?! :confused:[/QUOTE]
Maybe we won a fried spam sandwhich.:confused:

There seems to be some damage on the left of the bottom disc, under the blurred out writing.

[quote=DrageMester;2199490]Clicky clicky … “Congratulations You Won! Write your name below [Click to claim]”

What did I win? Apparently not the right to see a picture of a bad Verbatim DVD!?! :confused:[/quote] After lots more clicking on tabs on that page (and having “won” more prizes), I finally got to see the picture.

The DVD looks seriously damaged with a thumb-sized area having separated; I doubt this DVD is fully readable. :frowning:

I haven’t experienced anything like this with any of my Verbatims.

SH*T

With cmc/verbatims also encountering these problems. Looks that buying media might become even harder.

I had Problems with bad bonded TY’s, which was my main reason to avoid them and switch for most back ups to verbatim. (MCC) However it might seem that some of there partners might be screwing up things. Let’s hope that the problem is related to one batch( or a part of it.) Still this is quite bad.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2199531]Looks that buying media might become even harder.[/quote]According to Kerry56, the OP would have stated that these discs are from 2005. But the OP didn’t confirm or infirm this.

For everyone’s convenience, since IMGShack has turned into a nest of annoying javascript and ads, here is the original poster’s image. :slight_smile:

I also had one that did the samething 2 days ago. It was a Verbatim 16x DVD+R MCC004 too. I don’t remember the full hub code but it started with PAPA. Anyway i’m pretty sure it was bought at Officemax about a year ago.

Rusty

Looks that I just became unlucky with my Maxell Proteks as well.
Is there no reliable media ???

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/warning-maxell-protek-seperating-262815/#post2199873

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2199874]Is there no reliable media ???[/quote]At these prices, maybe not. We’re spoiled, and we forgot that only five years ago, DVD blanks costed 12 to 15 times what they cost now. And don’t start me on the comparison with VHS tapes. :bigsmile:

We can’t have everyting, extremely cheap, extremely convenient, AND fully reliable at the same time. People who want best reliability should go to more expensive media (like Verbatim archival grade discs - these are incredibly tough). :slight_smile:

This said, I never, ever, experienced a disc splitting “on its own”, and I’ve burnt Verbatims in the hundreds, and countless cheaper discs. I experienced splitting only with a couple of MXLRG02 and one TYG02, and this was from discs falling on their edge onto a hard surface.

Le’s not start a collective psychosis about discs splitting, now… :cool:

Sorry about imageshack folks. It’s been a long time since I’ve used that site and was unaware of it turning into a ad spamming site. doh…

Kerry, you are correct. The discs are 2005 vintage with the old Verbatim style labels.

As for specifics, all my discs are stored in discgear units.
http://www.discgear.com/Products/DiscGear/PID-S100(DiscGearStaging).aspx

They are kept in Seattle area temp/humidity. Which is cooler area with about 60-80% humidity depending on time of year.

However, the “failure” occurred not there but at a family’s house. Which was warm and dry in the room they were being stored. The discs probably didn’t get above 95-100degF (there is a wood-stove in the room that really gets the room hot at times.

Anyway, that the scoop. I try to take good care of my media.

[QUOTE=Reconn;2200610]However, the “failure” occurred not there but at a family’s house. [/QUOTE]Could it be possible that someone, while you were not there, made some of the discs fall by accident, like, say, during housework? And then put the discs back in the cases and in place? This could explain that. You found no fingerprints/smudges on the disc at all?

The discs would have to have been removed from the discgear storage units and then mishandled. No fingerprints found.

That disc I posted was not the only disc that had the same issue. But all the discs that did have separation problems were from the same batch of Verbi’s.

What about the discs in your direct possession, at your house? See, the minute you said that they were not your personally watched over disks, I tuned out. Anything could have happened to those disks.

[QUOTE=Reconn;2200990]discgear storage units[/QUOTE]Mmmh. Which model? I looked at the demos, and the The “Browser 100LE” model definitly violates my book for secure media handling methods.

[QUOTE=Reconn;2200610]The discs are 2005 vintage with the old Verbatim style labels.[/quote]Talking of which, this design is back with recent production. All my newer discs (I’d say from ~Q3 2008) have it.

[QUOTE=Wizzu;2201120]Talking of which, this design is back with recent production. All my newer discs (I’d say from ~Q3 2008) have it.[/QUOTE]

Why would they switch back to the old design now :confused: