Verbatim MCC 03RG20 died in the tub

vbimport

I just started burning dvd’s again after a couple of months (no time). To my surprise, my almost full 25 piece tub of Verbatim 16x DVD-R Glossy Printables (MCC 03RG20) has turned ‘bad’ during that period.

I have tried burning them with Benq 1655, Samsung SH-S182M and my brand new Optiarc AD-7203A (best drive I ever owned), at different speeds including 8x, 12x and Max, with disasterous results (from PIF spikes in the thousands to lots of POFs or even incomplete burns with errors).

The latest Optiarc burns seemed OK at first (Discspeed gave them scores of 98), but deteriorated within a few days to a point where I could only just copy them with my Benq (except for one disc). My Optiarc could not read any of them back.

These are MIT with hubcode MAP701KA02104482 B2. I did not even try printing on them.

How did you store them?

[QUOTE=Homeless;2044730]How did you store them?[/QUOTE]

In the tub on a shelve in an airconditioned office and not in direct sunlight.

I just tried another one, this time from a box of 10 jewel cases. Also Verbatim 16x DVD-R MIT Glossy Printable, but this batch is full face printable (the others are not full face) and the hub code is different, starting with MAPA.

Look at the result, burned with Optiarc and scanned with Benq 1655.

/edit
The bad part starts after 3.5 GB on most discs, so I decided to use these only for smaller burns. The results of my second scanning round showed that this was a bad idea as they were almost unreadable.

Can you run TRT tests on your Optiarc? They’re terrific drives for that.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2044902]Can you run TRT tests on your Optiarc? They’re terrific drives for that.[/QUOTE]

Will do tomorrow.

I wouldn’t use an optiarc for scanning, let alone @ 16x.

Use your BenQ only @ 8x.

It does seem that there are problems at the outer edge of the discs though. Notice any defects in the dye or something like that near the edge of your discs? You may have to look at them under a very strong light to see anything.

@arachne
Here are TRT’s of the two discs I scanned above.

@cd pirate
As you may notice, there is little difference between the two scans above, one of which is a standard 8x Benq scan.

There are no visible defects in the dye, and the problems occur well before the edge. Also, notice the two discs I show here are from two totally different batches of MCC 03RG20 and probably from different production or at least coating lines.

These discs should be yummy for all your drives. They could be damaged at anytime from production to quality scan. Before i doom the discs i would [B]try them in another pc[/B] and judge afterwards. If discs are bad i hope you can return them :wink:

I have tried burning one of them in my notebook but that didnt work either.

My worry is that these Verbatims degraded in storage without any cause. I have lots of other media stored next to them and they all work fine.

I can imagine how one disc could be damaged by inapropriate handling during or after burning, but that is clearly not the case here. I have done thousands of burns and scans before and this has never happened, certainly not with quality media.

I have also done al lot of burns on MCC004, TYG03 and MKM001 DL discs during the past days and they all turned out excellent. My setup is state of the art and I know how to do a proper burn.

The problem may be related to printable media only, but as I said before, these are from two different batches (full face in jewel case versus non full face printable in tub).

Returning them is no option for me. I can’t even remember where I ordered them (I have used suppliers in 4 different countries) and even then, the postage would probably exceed a refund.

I wonder if anyone else has tested this type of media that has been stored (before or after burning) for many months. Fortunately, I always used Taiyo Yuden DVD-R media before I bought these Verbatims. The rest of my burned dvd’s are all +R.

I have had a box of the Verbatim Glossy printable for 1-2 years (since they appeared on the market) and every disc i burn is still excellent both in DVD players and quality scans. I may have mentioned it 100 times here but the FF printable Verbatims 03RG20 are all i use for backup these days and i have used 1000’s and they are only matched by the +R version (the 004’s) imo. I have seen a little variation in behavior (small differences from tub to tub) but nothing unacceptable. Here’s a quality scan i made less than an hour ago. Disc was burned at 6x :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Xterminator;2045450]@arachne
Here are TRT’s of the two discs I scanned above.

@cd pirate
As you may notice, there is little difference between the two scans above, one of which is a standard 8x Benq scan.

There are no visible defects in the dye, and the problems occur well before the edge. Also, notice the two discs I show here are from two totally different batches of MCC 03RG20 and probably from different production or at least coating lines.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear. Those TRTs pretty much say it all IMO. :frowning:

I’ve found printable MCC 03RG20 to burn a little less “prettier” than their non-printable counterparts, but nothing on that scale.

Edit: I actually have some Verbie printables that have been stored for the best part of a year, perhaps I’ll burn one or two over the weekend to see how they’re holding up.

[quote=Xterminator;2044784]In the tub on a shelve in an airconditioned office and not in direct sunlight.

I just tried another one, this time from a box of 10 jewel cases. Also Verbatim 16x DVD-R MIT Glossy Printable, but this batch is full face printable (the others are not full face) and the hub code is different, starting with MAPA.

Look at the result, burned with Optiarc and scanned with Benq 1655.[/quote]I’ve run into batches exactly like this from time to time. They’ll be good and then suddenly turn bad. But I think it usually has more to do with the production run than with storage problems. Have you tried a disc near the bottom of the spindle yet?

In the meantime, suggest you limit your burns on that batch to about 3.5GB of data or less. That’s what I’m having to do now with a batch of MCC 004.

Probably mediore/bad bonding, the outer edge allowing air, impurities and humidity inside the disc, or impacting focus.

Sadly there is no end-user methodology to detect poor tilt, and bad bonding can be tricky to pinpoint with certitude.

No one asked where those were made? I wouldn’t be surprised that they’re Moser Baer made. I’ve seen stuff like that happening with other MIDS as well, that were manufactured by the MB factories… (MBIPG101 R04 mainly).

There is no inherent MCC 03RG20 unstability, printable or not. I think I would have known by now. :bigsmile: - I’m 99,9% sure that it’s a manufacturing quality issue.

EDIT Just noticed “[I]These are MIT with hubcode MAP701KA02104482 B2[/I]”, so sorry for the MII nonsens. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2045219]Use your BenQ only @ 8x. [/quote]Uh…? :confused: Tired of being an outsider? Joined the gang then? I, for one, still have no problems whatsoever to use, abuse and recommend additional @16X scanning in Benq/Nexperia drives (1640, 1650, 1655) to get a better idea of the disc’s potential behaviour. Not to replace slower scans, but to compliment them.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2045994]Uh…? :confused: Tired of being an outsider? Joined the gang then? I, for one, still have no problems whatsoever to use, abuse and recommend additional @16X scanning in Benq/Nexperia drives (1640, 1650, 1655) to get a better idea of the disc’s potential behaviour. Not to replace slower scans, but to compliment them.[/QUOTE]

Lol, no no, it’s just that he was using an Optiarc @ 16x and most people don’t know how to look @ 16x scans. If he used the BenQ @ 16x, there would be no complaint from me, only a warning about 16x scanning. The discs are bad either way, but in some cases, there could be elevated levels with 16x scans, maybe not enough to make a disc a coaster but enough for someone to develop the wrong opinion about the discs.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2046269]Lol, no no,[/quote]Heaving a sigh with ease (a.k.a [I]heaving a sigh of relief[/I]) :slight_smile:

The discs are bad either way, but in some cases, there could be elevated levels with 16x scans, maybe not enough to make a disc a coaster but enough for someone to develop the wrong opinion about the discs.
:iagree: