Verbatim Lifetime Archival (Millenniata/M-Disc) 4x BD-R 25Gb

vbimport

Hi Guys,

Just managed to get my hands on some M-Disc BD-R’s under the new Verbatim branding and gave one a spin.

I suppose the biggest issue was the lack of information surrounding the discs and their longevity testing - and from my research, it doesn’t seem likely that M-Disc BD-Rs are actually that special at all.

Hope you enjoy the review.

• Gough

Good review and your conclusion is similar to my own opinion of these discs.

At least they gave you a pretty scan when used with the right hardware. :wink:

Top notch reporting, Gough. It’s always a blast to read your articles. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the feedback and support!

Glad I’m not the only one with suspicions and a slight disappointment. Indeed, I am actually fairly pleased about the scan, especially compared with some scans posted >1yr ago by others in the Media section here.

It seems the Pioneer BDR-209DBK is the star, as the LG burns posted there were consistently elevated for error levels - which seems to be another bit of evidence that the M-Disc BD-R isn’t a real M-Disc as such because the original M-Disc was marketed as a collaboration with Hitachi-LG Data Storage, and so you would expect the best burns to be with LG equipment if that were still the case.

• Gough

The real problem with Millenniata or indeed any other archival grade disc is that we won’t know the products true worth for many years.

What I want to know about M-Disc is what [B]else[/B] have they done. Okay, the data layer is inorganic, it won’t degrade much with UV… great.

But what about the polycarbonate? Is it something special to justify the 10x cost increase? Will it last many times longer than the polycarbonate in a standard disc? What about the adhesive, have Millenniata used some special formulation that will last 1000 years? What about the manufacture and QA process, is it something special to ensure every disc is perfect quality?

They don’t boast about any of this in their literature which leads me to suspect they have not addressed them in any way.

I suppose that is true, although in the case of M-Disc DVDs, they did test the whole assembly and proved that it was outlasting their competitors. I suppose my bigger issue has to do with the statistics around accelerated age testing and how relevant that might be. Polycarbonate is probably quite stable at the intended archival conditions, but the adhesive and reflective layer of the BD-R may be just as vulnerable as before in regards to moisture and oxidation.

Regardless, I think the even bigger issue is obsolescence - we’re seeing less and less optical drives being shipped with computers, and the media is falling out of favour with most users. Even if the discs last 20 years, I highly doubt that reading the media would be easy as drives will be rare, and interfaces may have changed by then. As a result, I suspect they’re selling these discs with the knowledge that it may not be relevant in the near future (and nobody would know even if it failed before they said it would). Also, it seems peculiar to me that none of these discs are sold with any warranty - occasionally, lesser commodity discs are supplied with a limited warranty of disc replacement for defects but these have no such statement at all.

• Gough

In the Navy test? They didn’t. None of the discs delaminated. None of them even oxidized. The before and after photos simply showed some fading of the dye layers.

The test showed the first expected failure mechanism of dye based DVDs - the data layer failed or degraded due to UV exposure. It’s a valid result, but no great surprise, we know that already.

So, you’ve got a data layer that is not much affected by UV. Great. Now tell me what [I]else[/I] you have done to give this “1000 year” life that is heavily used to advertise the discs.

So are these discs actually the same as the DVD version? Eg. Made of that stone stuff or whatever it was? Or is it just a total gimmick and the disc is just a well constructed BD-R that is physically identical to any other BD-R?

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2762186]So are these discs actually the same as the DVD version? Eg. Made of that stone stuff or whatever it was? Or is it just a total gimmick and the disc is just a well constructed BD-R that is physically identical to any other BD-R?[/QUOTE]
Their DVD uses a Carbon Tellurium Carbon sandwich.
http://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3359&context=etd
It’s substantially different from a regular DVD+R. This is the reason why a standard burner cannot burn it, and also why it lasts much longer.

But if you apply this to a BD-R then what you get is not substantially different from any regular HTL disc. That’s why a standard burner can burn it.

Yes, they use their own particular materials and processes but that’s normal; everybody uses slightly different alloys and processes.

It’s worth noting that the Navy did not test the M-Disc DVD of their own accord. The test was commissioned by Millenniata. Their BD-R has been on the market for over a year and yet they do not appear to have commissioned a similar test versus various brands of BD-R HTL. You can read into that what you like.

Very Nice Benchmark , I Love That , But You Must Also Consider How Much Did You Pay For This Media , You Know When They Get Reputation They Must Not To Abuse From Their Brand Reputation To Get More Money From The Loyal Customers , But That’s Exactly They Do, If You Look Carefully You Will Understand That.