Verbatim help

I went to my local PC world to buy some verbatim DVD blank discs, however there were LOADS of verbatim discs in various tubs and packs and labels! How do I know which are the real good quality ones!

Usually all verbatim branded discs are excellent quality media.

If you can find some Made in Japan discs, these are the first choice.

However, also made in India and made in Taiwan discs are excellent.

Another thing you should be aware is the speed of your burner. If you have an old drive, you should select discs certified for a lower speed (old drive’ firmwares are not more updated and it’s possible that high speed certified discs cannot be burned correctly).

In my experience, the 16x DVD+R Made in Japan media from Verbatim is not quite as good as the Made in Taiwan or Made in India Verbatim DVD+R media.

If you have an older 8x rated DVD burner, I’d buy some Verbatim 8x DVD-R media (8x DVD+R is very hard to find).

If you have a newer 16x/18x/20x rated DVD burner, I’d get some Verbatim 16x DVD+R as first choice and Verbatim 16x DVD-R or 8x DVD-R as second choice.

I generally prefer 25px cakeboxes which are cheaper than buying in jewel-cases (and I don’t use the jewe-cases), and the 25pc cakeboxes are handier than the 50pc and 100pc cakeboxes, and there are less problems with scuffed discs.

For the expensive stuff such as Double Layer media, Archival Grade, MediDisc, HardCoat Protection etc. I prefer the jewel-cases because the price difference is not as significant as for the “normal” media and I like the added protection.

[QUOTE=geno888;1962732]Usually all verbatim branded discs are excellent quality media.

If you can find some Made in Japan discs, these are the first choice.

However, also made in India and made in Taiwan discs are excellent.

Another thing you should be aware is the speed of your burner. If you have an old drive, you should select discs certified for a lower speed (old drive’ firmwares are not more updated and it’s possible that high speed certified discs cannot be burned correctly).[/QUOTE]

Ones from India are crap.

[quote=THE C.;1962783]Ones from India are crap.[/quote] Perhaps more variable than those Made in Taiwan, but in general the Verbatim DVD+R Single Layer Made in India are very good in my experience.

I’ve had crappy Verbatim 8x/16x DVD+R Made in India, but I’ve also had crappy discs of many other types of media such as Verbatim DVD+R/DVD-R Made in Taiwan, Fuji branded Taiyo Yuden DVD+R, and several others.

Unless you buy the really expensive stuff with better quality control, there’s always a risk of getting bad media now and then. Some brands are worse than others.

In short, my advice would be look for Made in Taiwan or Made in India (before I get lynched, the MII ones have been excellent for me on several drives). DVD+R would be my preference.

My opinion of the Made in Japan ones mirrors Drage’s. :slight_smile:

Drive info (make and model) would be great. :wink:

Since no one has mentioned it yet DL dvd+r verbs MIS ( singapore ) seem to be more consistant than MII ( india)

Thx for the replies everybody, much appreciated. My burner is a few years old now BENQ DW1620. I read somewhere that taiyo yuden make discs for verbatim, do any other manufactures make verbatim too, and is there any way to tell?

Also id like to ask, on here

http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/Taiyo-Yuden-Genuine-DVD-R-8-X-White-Inkjet-Printable-100-Tub-pr-42236.html

Why is it that they state dye info on these but not on other media, is there something special about it?

[QUOTE=THE C.;1962783]Ones from India are crap.[/QUOTE]

In your posts you have proved that you don’t know much about this stuff, your comments just serve to confuse people who have questions and expect reliable advice. I, for one, will ignore your posts.

[quote=britlifter;1963021]Thx for the replies everybody, much appreciated. My burner is a few years old now BENQ DW1620. I read somewhere that taiyo yuden make discs for verbatim, do any other manufactures make verbatim too, and is there any way to tell?[/QUOTE]In Europe, you can get Verbatim 16x DVD±R using Mitsubishi technology and media codes (MCC004 / MCC 03RG20) made by three different outsourcing companies: Made in Taiwan by CMC, Made in Taiwan by Prodisc, Made in India by Moser Baer.

In Europe you can also get Verbatim 16x DVD±R using Taiyo Yuden technology and media codes Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden.

So you can tell the different versions apart by looking at Country of Origin. To tell CMC and Prodisc ones apart, you need to also look at chape of cakebox, font used on cakebox and sometimes other things. There’s a thread about that.

In other parts of the world the Taiyo Yuden Verbatims are not available, but there might be other manufacturers and media codes hiding under the Verbatim packaging such as e.g. RiTEK in South America.

Also id like to ask, on here

http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/Taiyo-Yuden-Genuine-DVD-R-8-X-White-Inkjet-Printable-100-Tub-pr-42236.html

Why is it that they state dye info on these but not on other media, is there something special about it?
They probably list the media code because they know that some customers specifically look for genuine Taiyo Yuden media.