Verbatim DVD+RWs don't want to be written

Okey doke, I recently bought some DVD+RWs. They’re Verbatim 4x, in a pack of 5 - multi coloured ones (one of red, one of orange, etc).

I had a few problems with them burning so I made sure that the stuff to be burned was an image file so that Decrypter could verify it for me afterwards, but after 4 or 5 burns now they just won’t finish a burn process, let alone verify successfully.

One of them after 1 or maybe 2 successful burns is no good at all and the drive won’t even register it as existing.

In fact I’ve just this second tried 2 more, and after the most recent burns, my drive doesn’t want to know either.

Surely this isn’t normal? I mean - they’re Verbs for crip’s sake!

Can anyone clear up this mystery for me?

My drive is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S and this is what I got with DVD Identifier, if it helps:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RW:MKM-A02-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+RW] - [DVD+RW]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Kagaku Media]
Manufacturer ID : [MKM]
Media Type ID : [A02]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 1.6x-4x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Try to update the firmware.

Try a full erase with ImgBurn or DVDInfo Pro or similar.

Thanks gys.

Ah, I did a quick erase with Alcohol but I’ll try a full erase with that.

Um… what about the ones that won’t even register? Bar the firmware of course, if that doesn’t work (seeing as I have o probs with DVD-R media).

What about cross flashing to the 1653, many here seem to have done it successfully & by all accounts it’s a worthwhile exercise.

All you need is on codeguys website, found here .

Right, firmware did nothing for the discs that don’t register - which at present is 3/5 of them. Has anyone got any idea how this even happened?

TimC: can I ask what these firmwares might do exactly? I don’t see how they would fix the current problem.

Don’t have one myself so I’m not entirely sure of the advantages but I think it’s faster burning speeds (of -R media??) & more media matching.

Ah I see. Well, ATM I’m just concerened with getting this emdia to work like it did - tyo my knowledge, Verbs shouldn’t have any problems, and they certainly didn’t the first couple of times.

So is anyone aware of how this could at all happen? How they just don’t register after a failed burn?

I have had good luck with the free IMGBURN application in terms of doing full formats with DVD RW media (plus or minus). Seems to revitalize those “stuck” disks.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Hope that helps.

Thanks - when I try to erase the 2 discs that could still be read I get “Potential ‘WaitImmediateIO’ Deferred Error - (0/4) - Session Fixation Error”. Alcohol gets to 3% then just resets.

If I try to burn one of them, I’m told that they need to be formatted - so it goes to do that but then says: “Potential ‘WaitImmediateIO’ Deferred Error - (0/4) - Session Fixation Error” again, every time. If I try to burn one of the remaining readable two, I’m told that it’s an unrecognised medium.

It still won’t even recognise the other ones though, so it claims that there’s no disc to erase. It goes in, just ‘chugs’ away for a good minute or so, then decides that there’s no disc present.

But still no probs with DVD-R.

Hi,

maybe Alcohol is the source of problems. See here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=195781

Michael

Alcohol is ALWAYS a source of problems…

Oh - wait - you didn’t mean Jim Bean real bourbon whiskey, did you?

Doh! :smiley:

Sometimes such is the solution :bigsmile:

Oh - wait - you didn’t mean Jim Bean real bourbon whiskey, did you?
Hmm. “[I]Jim Bean[/I]” - fake stuff, MIC? :bigsmile:

I prefer the real stuff: http://www.flens.de :iagree: Of yourse “Made in Germany” :smiley: :bigsmile: :smiley:

Michael

Sorry for Off Topic, but I couldn’t resist :slight_smile:

Lots of folks seem to feel that Jack Daniels Tennessee Old Number 7 (charcoal filtered whiskey) is superior to Jim Bean over here in the US.

Ironically, I do not drink, but could not resist the joke/pun/whatever. :slight_smile:

Couldn’t read your site, by the way. I only know English.

[B]groovemeister[/B], you could try performing a full erase in another DVD drive, if you have access to another drive.

I don’t. :frowning:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, uh… as in the other threads, I tried fully removing Alcohol but no luck, it still persists. I noticed smething about ‘bitsettings’ - could that help me?

AHA - DVD Identifier tried to retreive info from database but said: “ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Logical unit not ready [02/04/01]” - but it actually ADMITTED that a disc exists (this is obviously one of the 3 that don’t register at all). Does this get me anywhere?

bad batch of Discs ???

Yes, also a possibility. Luckily enough, I’ve contacted the people I bought them from and they say I can send them back. Should I ask for straight replacements or should I find an alternative… they are Verbs after all?