Verbatim DVD-R Made in India?

vbimport

I was reading the newegg reviews for the Verbatim DVD-R discs, and people said to make sure to get the ones in the blue/purple wrapping (made in Taiwan) and to avoid the ones in the orange/blue wrapping (made in India). I noticed amazon showed the blue/purple wrapping so I ordered it, and they sent me the orange/blue India discs. :frowning:

I’m new to DVD burning… if the Verbatim Taiwan discs are good, then is any brand made in Taiwan good? I’m going to go to the store to try to find good quality media - what should I look for? And does it matter if I get DVD-R or DVD+R discs?

Did you try one of those MII Verbatims or are you just sending them back. Unfortunately not all discs made in Taiwan are good. The two most recommended brands of blank media would be Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, the latter being impossible to find in stores, so therefore you have to buy them online. The only TYs I have found in a store were Sony 8X Dvd+R, 50 pack spindle, made in Japan. Of course when you buy online you don’t know which TYs you are getting either. Nowadays it really doesn’t matter if you buy Dvd-R or Dvd+R, but with Dvd+R, if your drive supports it, they can be booktyped to Dvd-Rom, which is the profile of a commercial Dvd.

The blue/purple packaging is for DVD+R media while the orange/blue packaging is for DVD-R media - it has nothing to do with country of origin.

Some of my best stuff is Verbatim Made in India - don’t assume it’s bad just because someone said so at Newegg.

I’ve had no problems thus far with the MII’s.

I’ve only had a few of them because i typically use TY’s; but i’ve got a stash of Verbatims. One spindle is MIT and the other MII.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2052496]The blue/purple packaging is for DVD+R media while the orange/blue packaging is for DVD-R media - it has nothing to do with country of origin.

Some of my best stuff is Verbatim Made in India - don’t assume it’s bad just because someone said so at Newegg.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more, my experience is the same. :iagree:

I have two 100 packs of MII Verbatims which I’m happily working my way through, not a coaster or crappy burn yet.

Using Verbatim Dvd+R/Dvd+R DL, MIT & MII, so far have encountered no unusual problems.

I haven’t had any problems with Indian made Verbs. In fact, the only problem i’ve had recently with Verbatims has been on a pack of MIT MCC004’s. I’m not saying that there isn’t a quality difference, it’s just that I haven’t seen it yet.

I recently bought a 100-pak of Verb 16x -R MII. So far it’s one of the best Verb 100-paks I ever got. :smiley:

ok i have been using verbatim -R made in India with no problems, however i just bought a 100 cake that is made in Taiwan, what is all the talk about india and taiwan all about, also i ran the -R that were manufactured in India and this is the results through the identifier, they are verbatims can anyone offer any insight thank you

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

[quote=thomm;2054187]ok i have been using verbatim -R made in India with no problems, however i just bought a 100 cake that is made in Taiwan, what is all the talk about india and taiwan all about, also i ran the -R that were manufactured in India and this is the results through the identifier, they are verbatims can anyone offer any insight thank you

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[/quote]I’m not quite sure I understand what your question is, but 16x -R Verbatims MIT (made in Taiwan) and MII (made in India) will show as the same in Disc Identifier since they’re both made to the same specifications using MCC dyes. They are both MCC 03RG20 just as MIT and MII 16x +R Verbatims are both MCC 004.

it appears that everyone says get the taiwan disc over the disc made in india if you have the choice, is there any reason for this

Some people say there is, that Taiwan is higher quality…but, obviously, based on the people’s reports in this thread, you don’t have to worry about it. It should all be good. And there are as many bad batches from Taiwan as from India, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

Once you see “MCC” in disc information description, you know you’ve probably got some nice, quality media. Most of what verbatim sells is MCC or Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation.

I couldn’t agree more Albert. The 100 spindles from Taiwan are as bad as they get, it totally hit or miss. Some are actually unplayable. So where they are made has no influence when it comes to Verbatim 16X+ or dash media.

Just to add, MII Verbatim MCC is good quality stuff. Here in europe, a lot of our Verbies that are not made by Taiyo Yuden are MII, and I’ve had good experience with 2 MII Verbatim DVD+R purchases.

My Sammy has been coastering discs lately (which is a shame because it automatically bit-sets DVD+R media to DVD-ROM book type with stock firmware, making it very nice) but every Verb that burned properly, did so with the best results I have ever seen with a DVD R. By that I mean relatively few PI Errors, Maximum of usually 2, in rare cases 4, PI Failures, and passing full speed through a TRT.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2052496]The blue/purple packaging is for DVD+R media while the orange/blue packaging is for DVD-R media - it has nothing to do with country of origin.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’ve been seeing the kind of nonsense the OP posted on other forums. Not sure how that kind of inanity got passed around, but then, that horrendous media quality FAQ still exists, so there’s no accounting for logic.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2063673]My Sammy has been coastering discs lately (which is a shame because it automatically bit-sets DVD+R media to DVD-ROM book type with stock firmware, making it very nice…)[/QUOTE]

I didn’t realize there were any burners that didn’t do auto-bitsetting. Maybe I’ve just been ignoring those barbaric heathenous devices. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2052581]I have two 100 packs of MII Verbatims which I’m happily working my way through, not a coaster or crappy burn yet.[/QUOTE]

And just to be clear, you’re trusting them for archiving the same as you would for a CMC or a Prodisc, correct?

[QUOTE=negritude;2065020]And just to be clear, you’re trusting them for archiving the same as you would for a CMC or a Prodisc, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yup. Mind you, no plan is fool proof, which is why I also keep another backup set, aside from the Verbies (CMC/Prodisc/MBIL). :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2065036]no plan is fool proof, which is why I also keep another backup set[/QUOTE]Twice agreed :iagree: :iagree:, thrice applaused. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good archival habits always include at least two sets on different media.