Verbatim DVD-R fresh burn not good?

i’m trying to backup the photos that i have on my hard drive but have a couple of issues.

first off, i’m burning to Verbatim DVD-R media (16x) at 12x burn speen using a Pioneer DVR-115D 1.18.

i have attached the results. i’m a bit miffed that the burn ‘fails’ towards the end. the burner is pretty new (i have only used it a handful of times and it is a less than a year old).

what can i do to improve the burn?

also, i’m a bit concerned about the degradation of the media. i thought that backing up to CD/DVD would be a simple one time procedure, but now i’m reading that i have to scan once in a while and re-backup when scans start to fail - so what’s the point? shouldn’t i backup to a hard drive (or even two of them) and do away with DVD media?

using hard drives is a lot quicker (back everything up in one go) and if the drive fails i can back up again from the 2nd drive.

is there an advantage backing up to DVD over hard drive taking into account the time it takes and the need to scan periodically?

is there a failsafe (and cost effective) backup system?

While being an excellent burner, your Pioneer DVR-115D is useless for disc quality scans and you are only hurting yourself by trying to make sense of the meanigless disc quality scans produced by that drive.

You can use the Read Transfer Test on the Benchmark tab with your Pioneer driving for testing how well your discs can be read, and you can use another drive for disc quality scanning if you have a suitable drive (e.g. LiteOn).

Your Read Transfer Test could be better; the Pioneer drives almost never produce a 100% smooth graph in my experience, but the dip around 1.9 GB is worth investigating - if it happens every time you run your test, then there’s a media or burning flaw at that point, in other words a readable but less than perfect result.

thanks for the quick reply DrageMester.

i tried the tests on a different player and have attached the results. much better but overall quality is only at 90.

should i be worried about getting a better score or is this ok?

The Read Transfer Test looks good.

The Disc Quality scan looks acceptable, but I’m not familiar with the Sony DDU1615 drive.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2199559]The Disc Quality scan looks acceptable, but I’m not familiar with the Sony DDU1615 drive.[/QUOTE]

It is a rebadged LiteOn SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROM drive, which [IMHO] was one of the “better” DVD-ROM drives to use for scanning if you had nothing else. It more closely matched the results of the LiteOn DVDRW drives than the LiteOn DVD-ROM drives that came before it. It’s still a little more “sensitive” than a LiteOn DVDRW drive, though.

I’d probably equate the disc quality scan done with it to be about average for a Verbie. [Though scanning speed is only at 2x].

Do you have any burn logs to post if your burns are failing at the end?

Have you tried burning at 8x?

Do you have a DvD-RW? It’s nice to have one especially if your trying to diagnose burning issues. There is no sense in wasting a bunch of blank media.

:cool::cool:

same equipment used to burn on Tesco (supermarket own brand) DVD-RW.

quality score is very low (57). should i re-burn and bin the Tescos?

what is the minimum score that i should accept? the benchmark data shows a smooth read - what does a low ‘quality’ score actually mean? why is the score low but the benchmark test is ok (or is it?)?

Last two scans done at [B]2x[/B] :confused:

I am not asking for scans and scanning a DvD-RW is irrelevant.

You are saying that your burns are failing at the end, Nero creates a burn log when you burn that shows errors and this is what we need to see.

:cool::cool:

Well maybe you should switch media. I also have a 115D and use Taiyo Yuden TYG02s (-R 8X). TY’s are said to be some of the best for quality, longevity and consistancy. On special they are pretty cheap at about 28¢.

These were burned at [B]12X[/B] and scanned in my BenQ (2 different speeds).

thanks for the advice guys - i think i’ll get some decent media and a new hard drive just in case.

a few things strike me reading your comments:

all this is very technical. burn, burner, scan, burners that you can and can’t scan, storage technique, labels on cds, ink on dvds to name a few and i’ve only read a handful of posts! what if i hadn’t bothered doing any research? i would have bought some basic media, burned my photos and personal data (incl. work data) and returned several years later only to find that the media is (possibly) no longer readable.

shouldn’t there be some sort of description on the media itself giving me at least an indication that burning to cd/dvd is NOT a long term solution?

from a non technical perspective (i.e. from my point of view), data is data. i’m always told how simple digital (binary) data is so in my head, burning data is a simple ONE TIME process (much like saving to hard drive).

rant over