Verbatim DVD+R DL not recognised

vbimport

I just burnt my first DL disc with CopyToDVD on a Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x disc with a Plextor PX-760A. I thereafter ran a TA test and a PI/PO test with Plextools and all results were OK. However, when I try to play the DVD on a Philips DVD640 desktop player, the disc isn’t recognised, the player says “No Disc”.

The booktype is set to DVD-ROM. The disc plays OK with PowerDVD in two PC drives. I’m at a loss to understand what is wrong.

Any clues?

TIA,
Lou

Hi there,

I assume you burned a movie, since you tried to play it in your DVD player.

What did you burn on it ?

A DVD Rip ?
A ConvertXtoDVD converted file ?

Did you need NTSC and you have a PAL video ?

Did you burn it as a [B]VideoDVD[/B] or DATA ?

The media needs to be CLOSED (Finalised) to be able to play in a DVD Player.

Have the latest firmware on your Plextor-760a ? ([B]v1.06[/B])

http://plextor.jp/download/firmware/px760_106.exe

Hi Cougar, thanks for responding.

It is an edited PAL home movie. I burnt it as a VideoDVD with CopyToDVD as I normally do, the only difference is the DL media. I do have the latest V1.06 firmware. And, as I said, the disc plays OK in two different PC drives.

I now start wondering if there is something wrong with the DVD player as I recently did have some difficulties playing +RW discs that also played normally in the PC. I’ll try the disc today in a different player and report back.

Lou

Well, it was the DVD player all right. I went to the neighbours to try the disc on their machine and it played OK. The neighbour’s wife then gave me a cleaning disc (never knew these existed!) and said I should try that. And Bingo, the disc plays flawlessly! :slight_smile:

One is never to old to learn…

Lou

Hi,

Well thanks for keeping us updated.

I never heard of anybody using a DVD Player Cleaner Disk.

The neighbour’s wife then gave me a…

…cleaning disc :bow:

Ohhhhhhh, I was expecting something else :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I never heard of anybody using a DVD Player Cleaner Disk.
I had never seen one before. It looks like a regular DVD and has spoken instructions in chapter 1 and six minuscule bursts that come into operation when you switch to chapter 2. Here is a picture of one. Anyway, it solved my problem. :slight_smile:

The neighbour’s wife then gave me a…
…cleaning disc

Ohhhhhhh, I was expecting something else
Well, a cleaning disc was one thing she gave me. :doh:

Lou