Verbatim DVD+R DL Max Write Speed?

vbimport

This is probably a stupid question but this is my first time burning dual layer disks. Why are these disks labeled at 2.4X write speed when I seem to be able to burn them at 8X with Nero and my Pioneer 116d ? What is the recommended burn speed for best quality ?

ThanX:bow:

Gary

2.4x is the lowest possible speed they are rated for.
8x is the max.

Chef, you could have spent an extra 15 seconds saying what speed is optimal, but I guess you wouldn’t have 24,000 posts if you did.

4x is most likely the sweet spot. I find that it is with my writers. Btw many of Verbatims DVD+DL media say 2.4x but they are safe to write much faster, that’s why you are allowed to burn faster.

I would personally stick with 4x for best quality (6x as a maximum). 2.4x is bad as it is too slow to use in a really new writer like the Pioneer 116 (can produce lower quality).

I guess times have changed ? Instead of manufacturers listing the maximum speed a disk is rated at they now list the minimun speed :confused:

4X it is :slight_smile:

ThanX for the quick replies :slight_smile:

Well some Verbatim DL media actually says 2.4x on the front but also says “up to 6x on some writers” also. It’s not the first time a disc could be written much higher than it is rated for.

Good luck with the burning, I’m sure you will be fine as Pioneers are very good writers.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2170772]Chef, you could have spent an extra 15 seconds saying what speed is optimal, but I guess you wouldn’t have 24,000 posts if you did.

4x is most likely the sweet spot. I find that it is with my writers. Btw many of Verbatims DVD+DL media say 2.4x but they are safe to write much faster, that’s why you are allowed to burn faster.

I would personally stick with 4x for best quality (6x as a maximum). 2.4x is bad as it is too slow to use in a really new writer like the Pioneer 116 (can produce lower quality).[/QUOTE]

Well, you know, i dislike redundancy. means repeating stuff… :wink:

Anyway, the “optimal speed” depends mostly on the used burner, with the 116 here I’d choose 6x, or even 4x.

[B]I would personally stick with 4x for best quality (6x as a maximum). 2.4x is bad as it is too slow to use in a really new writer like the Pioneer 116 (can produce lower quality).[/B]

I’ve always used 2.4x for Verbatim DVD+R DL and have not had any problems. In fact, I have seen 2.4x mentioned as the recommended DL burn speed in many threads on this and other forums. My burner is the LG GSA E40L purchased last June.

Note: I originally tried using 4x for Verbatim DVD+RW which is rated at 4x and it took my stand-alone DVD player over a minute for it to be loaded. I then redid it at 2.4x and it loaded quickly just like a commercial DVD.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2171867]I’ve always used 2.4x for Verbatim DVD+R DL and have not had any problems. In fact, I have seen 2.4x mentioned as the recommended DL burn speed in many threads on this and other forums. My burner is the LG GSA E40L purchased last June.

Note: I originally tried using 4x for Verbatim DVD+RW which is rated at 4x and it took my stand-alone DVD player over a minute for it to be loaded. I then redid it at 2.4x and it loaded quickly just like a commercial DVD.[/QUOTE]

You might want to take a gander at this thread which debunks the slower is better myth with modern drives. The media in question are DL/Dual-Layer discs which are known to yield better burns at 4x even if they are rated at 2.4x - DVD+RW rated at 4x and burned at 2.4x is a different matter altogether, although your experience may also be entirely due to media<->writer interaction (I burn 4x DVD+RW discs at 4x with my drives and in my case they are a lot better than 2.4x).

[QUOTE=evo69;2172074]You might want to take a gander at this thread which debunks the slower is better myth with modern drives. The media in question are DL/Dual-Layer discs which are known to yield better burns at 4x even if they are rated at 2.4x - DVD+RW rated at 4x and burned at 2.4x is a different matter altogether, although your experience may also be entirely due to media<->writer interaction (I burn 4x DVD+RW discs at 4x with my drives and in my case they are a lot better than 2.4x).[/QUOTE]

Please explain what you mean by “a lot better” and “better burns”. My DL burns at 2.4x are recognized by both my dvd players and they play through fine. What could be better if I burned at 4x?

Thank you.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2172426]Please explain what you mean by “a lot better” and “better burns”. My DL burns at 2.4x are recognized by both my dvd players and they play through fine. What could be better if I burned at 4x?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot more involved in the resulting “quality” of burned DVD media aside from just being “readable”. Unless you’re one of those who don’t believe in quality scans, I won’t press the matter if readability on those two players is the only thing that matters to you. But there are a lot of people in CD Freaks who also believe that the results gathered from testing drive<->“burned media” interaction is also important. I would leave it to the following threads to explain it since the people who have gathered information through years of experience are more credible in explaining this matter:

[ul]
[li]Media FAQ[/li][li]CD-DVD Speed Disc Quality (PI/PIF) Test[/li][li]Quality Scan vs Transfer Rate Test[/li][li]Precision, accuracy, and reliability of disc quality (PI/PO/jitter) tests[/li]…and most importantly:
[li]Did you know: Slow write speeds + modern drives + modern media = no good[/li][/ul]

By the way, these are all marked “Read first” so I was assuming you’ve already gone through these since even for experienced people it is still a good read. I’m too tired (just came home from freelance/filming work :() to repeat what has already been discussed a million times before, so sorry for the lack of enthusiasm to explain.