Verbatim DVD+R at buy.com

vbimport

Does anyone know if this media sold at buy.com is made in Singapore? Based on what I’ve read, Singapore-made Verbatims are quite good. I’ve seen those at Office Depot the other day for $30, they were made in Sngapore. They also had 25-packs, and those were made in Taiwan. :confused:

There’s no certain way to tell from the online store listing where it’s made. You might just want to save the shipping charge and get it in-store so you know what you’re getting.

You can also go to www.accaproducts.com and get TY DVD+Rs as well.

The 25 packs made in Taiwan are probably from CMC magnetics, which means you should avoid them at all costs.

There’s nothing wrong with CMC DVD’s, in fact in some burners they are better than MCC.
Office Depot also sells the Maxell DVD+R 4x that’s made in Japan, and somethimes they are on sale 2 for 1. The Maxell is better than the MCC in most drives.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
There’s nothing wrong with CMC DVD’s, in fact in some burners they are better than MCC.

What? I always thought that CMC was the worst! :confused: :confused:

CMC = “Coaster Manufacturing Company” and all that…

Has CMC had a turnaround in recent days?

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
[B]What? I always thought that CMC was the worst! :confused: :confused:

CMC = “Coaster Manufacturing Company” and all that…

Has CMC had a turnaround in recent days? [/B]

CMC 4x DVD+R burned at 4x in NEC 2500A:

My experience with CMC thus far has been that they make pretty consistant DVD’s. This is not true of their CDR’s, but the DVD’s seem to be more consistant than Ritek/Ricoh are. YMMV.

There’s no certain way to tell from the online store listing where it’s made. You might just want to save the shipping charge and get it in-store so you know what you’re getting.

Well, the shipping is free, it’s $10 less then at Office Depot, and no sales tax. I was wondering if perhaps anyone purchased these recently from buy.com, and chances are I would get the same exact thing…

My experience with CMC thus far has been that they make pretty consistant DVD’s. This is not true of their CDR’s, but the DVD’s seem to be more consistant than Ritek/Ricoh are. YMMV.

Interesting - I always thought CMC was absolutely the worst, but I may be thinking of CDR’s, not DVD’s. I also heard that CMC uses the dye supplied by Verbatim/Mitsubishi to manufacture their DVD’s, not sure if it’s true or not. I’d still prefer the “original” though, which in case of Verbatim is made in Singapore.

[B]There’s no certain way to tell from the online store listing where it’s made. You might just want to save the shipping charge and get it in-store so you know what you’re getting.

You can also go to www.accaproducts.com and get TY DVD+Rs as well.

The 25 packs made in Taiwan are probably from CMC magnetics, which means you should avoid them at all costs. [/B]

Actually I’ve noticed that the majority of the DVD+Rs made in Taiwan are manufacturered by MCC. Luckly the LiteOn 851s’ new firmware now supports this media and I’m burning it fine at 8x!!

Originally posted by rdgrimes

I plan on trying my 4x CMC DVD+Rs tonight when I get home. They were crap before w/ my 851s but since I’ve upgraded the firmware, I’m hoping that I get a better burn rate.

I recently stocked up on a ton of Verbatim writable media at www.buy.com. Media includes 100 52x CD-R, 10-pack 24x CD-RW, 20-pack 8x DVD+R, 10-pack 4x DVD+RW.

Looking at the back of the box and the back of the cases:

52x CD-R - Made in Taiwan
24x CD-RW - Made in Taiwan
8x DVD+R - Made in Singapore
4x DVD+RW - Made in Singapore

Buy.com ships fast too, if your in California =p

Oh and here’s the price I got them for if anyone’s wondering:

100 52x CD-R - $30.65
10 24x CD-RW - $10.79
20 8x DVD+R - $34.62
10 4x DVD+RW - $32.92

Originally posted by GKnight

Interesting - I always thought CMC was absolutely the worst, but I may be thinking of CDR’s, not DVD’s. I also heard that CMC uses the dye supplied by Verbatim/Mitsubishi to manufacture their DVD’s, not sure if it’s true or not. I’d still prefer the “original” though, which in case of Verbatim is made in Singapore.

Depends on what drive you have. Pioneer 107’s love MCC and CMCs just as much if not more than brands with better reputations.

To answer my own question, these are indeed made in Singapore, and buy.com dropped the price to $18 - sounds like a good deal for genuine Mitsubishi!

-GK