Verbatim DVD-R 16x writting speed problem

vbimport

hi, so i bought lots of these Verbatim DVD-R 16x blank media for my PS2 backups.

after reading a lot about it, they recommended me to burn these media at 2x or even at 1x for better results on the PS2… but it turns out that in Nero, DVDDecrypter, Alcohol 120% and a few others i can only burn them at 4x minimum.

now i wonder, is this caused by the Optical Disk Drive (Plextor PX-716AL) or by the blank media?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

any help is appreciated. thanks.

Yeah that sounds right the programs not letting you go below X4. I have’nt really used 16 speed media but nearly everyone here that has will say to burn them at X12 or X16. I use X8 media for ps2 backups burnt at X8 and they work just fine.

ah well, so you mean that blank media labeled as 16x can’t go below 4x.

i thought about changing of Optical Disk Drive but it should happen the same i think too.
on the other side, do you think a new pstwo (v14) will tolerate Verbatim media burnt at 4x and not at 1x/2x as the rest of the world seems to say?

datil, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

There is a persistent myth that burning media at the slowest speed makes it more compatible with consoles and/or gives the best burn quality.

This myth is in general not true, and for modern high-speed media on high-speed burners can actually in some cases lead directly to completely unreadable discs!

Your Plextor PX-716 should be able to burn these DVDs at all supported burning speeds with good quality. I suggest you try burning at 6x which often gives the best quality on Plextor drives for such media, but the compatibility with your console will probably be the same whether you burn at 4x, 6x, 8x or 12x on that burner with that media.

No software can force a drive to burn media at a speed that the drive isn’t capable of, and your high-speed Plextor burner cannot burn that media slower than 4x.

Try it out and let us know how it works.

I have brnt these discs at 12x for backing up console games for friends and not had a problem. I still can’t believe that myth about slower burning still exists, though I suppose given some people use crap media I am not suprised if it might help, especially in older burners.

I think it is probably your drive. The fact is, most recently released DVD writers do not support write speeds below 4x. They are made that way because 2x media doesn’t really exist anymore unless you love hoarding old blank media as a hobby (hey, this is CDFreaks after all :)). So there is little reason to support such low write speeds.

As others have mentioned, burning discs at 2x or 1x for consoles seems to be a persistent myth. That aside, have you actually tried burning at 12x or 16x to see if the backups work on your console? Because that is the ultimate way to settle this debate and solve your burning speed issues. Quite a few people here have done so and have not encountered problems, particularly with Verbatim or TY. If it works fine for you, then who cares what people say about burning at lower speeds?

I do know that Verbatim’s 16x DVD-R discs seem to burn with good quality at various speeds, pretty much like the +R version. I’ve burned at both 8x and 12x and got good scans out of these discs.

With random unbranded media on a random OEM writer such concerns might come into play, but even then chances are that burning at the lowest speeds could produce worse burns. These days the whole “burn slow” thing is more or less an internet legend that is no longer relevent to quality modern disks and burners.

If you have bad results at 12x, try going down to 8x. I guess it’s possible that you would get better results at 4x, but far from guaranteed. It really depends on your burners write strategy for those disks. High-speed dyes are generaly designed for high speed burns, but may produce better results at one notch under it’s rated speed. Again, it may not!

Welcome to the world of uncertainty that we have all come to know and love. Or not.

thanks for the replys guys.

actually i tried my old NEC DVDRW drive on these same blank media and surprise, Nero was able to burn them ONLY at 2x, so did Alcohol 120%, DVDDecrypter, etc.

i burnt one of my old backups at 2x and tried it on the pstwo and, honestly, i couldn’t spot any differences with the 4x one. the loading times were actually the same, fast. the lens wasn’t doing any strange or different noise with both media either.

so i think, given that both 2x/4x actually feel the same on my pstwo, i’m sticking with my new Plextor drive with blank media burnt at 4x, it’s obviously a better burner.

I have no clue about PS2 but a girl asked me to make a copy of some karaoke discs and TYG03 @ 16x, MCC004 @ 12x, CMC AF1 @ 4x and TDK02 @ 2x all worked fine - burned with LG 4163. Again, i never tried it before but knew it could be complicated… which it wasn’t at all :smiley:

Here’s a MCC004 MII @ 2,4x. Just kidding, i’m aware this is probably just an exception and a bad disc or burner/fw issue. I set the 1640 to 12x as usual, but didn’t notice there was only 2,4 and 16x to choose from and it chose lower speed - look what it made. (And the girl still loves me for the above mentioned discs) :wink:

Nice Jitter, WOW!

Was that really burned at 2.4x?

I don’t expect much better results from MII discs.
No, seriously, I would still avoid MII discs although some say that they would be very good.

Yeah, it was burned @ 2,4 so i thought i’d see how it looked in a scan and i was surprised :eek: I have MIT (MCC004) as well and they are fantastic compared to the MII i’ve had :wink: