Verbatim DVD-R 16x (MCC 03RG20) Overall Quality?

I’ve been reading a few posts regarding this media, and I was curious about the overall quality some would say it produces.

I’ve even posted a few scans of my own MCC 03RG20’s and have been told there somewhat high, but still in the norm for good media.

Just curious, as I’ve got 2 more spindles around here, unopened, and if need be, I’d like to return them before it’s too late.

Just looking for some feedback on everyone’s MCC 03RG20 experience.

Thanks.

They’re OK. I’d reserve them for drives that have stronger -R performance like Pioneer or LG drives though.

I am going to get some from the local Office Max just for those who need -R, but as said above, I have only seen good scans from LG drives.

I also was under the impression that Pioneer drives were better with -R but after a lot of different media tested on the 109, I have come to the conclusion that they are now a +R drive. The only one I have found that does a great job with MCC -R is LG.

It should burn very well at 8x or even 12x in most drives. LG will not burn at 12x on -R, here it is at 8x:

(No drives I know of will burn this stuff well at 16x)

Looks like I need to correct myself. Here’s one burned at 16x in my nice new 1635s. This is the first MCC03 this drive has seen.

Here is a good example of a 16X with LG on the MCC 03RG20:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=969709&postcount=52

That is 03RG20.

Sorry, I see where the media ID was truncated. I should have known you wouldn’t make such a simple mistake. :o

Well, you already corrected yourself, but I’d like to chip in and say that this media burns with excellent quality at 16x in my NEC ND-3500AG drive with 2.TG firmware.

Here’s a PxScan performed at maximum speed (!!!) in my Plextor PX-712 drive of an MCC 03RG20 burned at 16x in the NEC 3500. Only the best burns scan this well at maximum speed in my PX-712. The second scan was perfomed at the normal 2x speed. Read Transfers are perfect in all tested drives.

My NEC burns it well at 16x, but it doesn’t actually complete the burn at 16x, it never gets past 13x, then downshifts to 12x.

No such problem on my NEC 3500 with the Made in Taiwan (by CMC) Verbatim 16x DVD-R that I have.

Here is a Nero CD-DVD Speed Create Data Disc on my NEC 3500, using the slightly older 2.TE firmware (I don’t have a Create Data Disc with 2.TG formware):

As good as the Verbatim 16x DVD-R (MCC 03RG20) media is when burned at 16x in my NEC 3500 drive, it is even better when burned at 8x in my Plextor PX-712A or in the NEC drive. Scans are available if anyone is interested.

IMHO this is the best media I have ever had, although it is not better than the Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC 004) Made in India media I have, but it’s just as good.

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R media (YUDEN000 T02) is just barely able to compete with this when burned at 6x in my Plextor PX-712A drive, but it cannot compete when burned at 8x or 12x in the Plextor or at any speed in the NEC 3500.

Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R media (TY G02) can just barely compete when burned at 6x in my NEC 3500 drive, it’s lagging a little when burned at 8x, and cannot compete when burned at 12x.

So far I have only burned a single Taiyo Yuden 16x disc, so I’m not ready to comment about those yet. They are Plextor 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) BTW.

So at least with the right drive and firmware the Verbatims are great media, or at least the batches I have bought have been great. I definitely recommend them.

I am glad you have had luck with Verbatim. While I have also found it quality media, I have found TY YUDEN000 T02 is better. I get scans such as this one on burns from BenQ, NEC, Pioneer, as well as Liteon.

That AZO dye is interesting, so I still get MCC from time to time, and I certainly can’t fault the results it gets at 12X and 16X.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1185288&postcount=13

NEC-3500 here and the MCC’s and TYG02’s are fine here. The MCC’s do 16x no problem and the TY’s 12x no problem.

Don’t dare use this on a Nec 3520 (doesnt matter which firmware), out of the 20 i’ve burned, 19 of them get a huge pi spike in them.

My Nec 4550 and Benq 1640 have problems @16X with MCC03RG20, but Nec 3540A and Pioneer 109 burn them flawlessly and do reach 16X.

I saw the same problem with MCC 02RG20 as well at 8X, on both the 3520 and the 3500.

I have bought a 25 spindle of these at a local Media Markt here in Germany. They had a huge stack of them in their store.

It’s a total desaster! Some parts on the disc weren’t even written and are still dark.

With my ND-3500A I got one coaster after another at 16x. The media code is MCC 03RG20 and the serial in the ring is ZD9471-DVR-J47F4, I’ll bring them back right after the holiday.

[QUOTE=Zottel;1960811]I have bought a 25 spindle of these at a local Media Markt here in Germany. They had a huge stack of them in their store.

It’s a total desaster! Some parts on the disc weren’t even written and are still dark.

With my ND-3500A I got one coaster after another at 16x. The media code is MCC 03RG20 and the serial in the ring is ZD9471-DVR-J47F4, I’ll bring them back right after the holiday.[/QUOTE]

Got any pictures or scans of these discs/bad burns? Btw, I’d try 8x writing. My new style Verbatim are not so great at high speeds but at lower speeds they produce quite acceptable burns. My LG 4167B likes them @ 4x the best :eek:

Mistake: I bought them at Saturn, not Media Markt. For those of you might find it useful. I bought some Verbatim DVD+R (MCC-004-00) before at Media Markt, I got it mixed up. Those still burn fine, btw.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1960814]Btw, I’d try 8x writing. My new style Verbatim are not so great at high speeds but at lower speeds they produce quite acceptable burns. My LG 4167B likes them @ 4x the best :eek:[/QUOTE]WOW! 4x!

Nah, I will get my money back. And order some Tayo Yuden instead. Which will be the first time ever for me to buy TY, FYI. It’s almost impossible to get TY discs here in Germany in a store.

Luckily I found this German online dealer: http://www.iwonatec.de/product_info.php?products_id=1580

Of course, just wait a few more minutes…

Here they are: