Verbatim DVD+R 16x MCC 004 Made in China

vbimport

I have recently bought 10pcs spindles of Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs that have been ‘Made in China’… I have bought them by mistake, thinking they were taiwanese CMC PAPA discs… You can read the whole story + take a look at snapshots here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/verbatim-new-packaging-221980/index4.html#post1997201

These discs have PAPN code, so it is very close to PAPA… Still, does anyone know what factory is actually make these discs in China ? Is it hopefully CMC Magnetics as well ? Any feedback would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Prodisc and CMC have factories in China and have made / are making CD-R media for Verbatim.

The PAPN… serial suggests that this is made by CMC.

I’m sure I’m not the oly one here looking forward to hearing and seeing how those new Verbies burn.

The fourth character is the location where these have been made so it may well be that production is now shifting to Mainland China.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1997210]Prodisc and CMC have factories in China and have made / are making CD-R media for Verbatim.

The PAPN… serial suggests that this is made by CMC.

I’m sure I’m not the oly one here looking forward to hearing and seeing how those new Verbies burn.[/QUOTE]

Just got some of those PAPN… ones. I’ll post my test results here since this is a thread specifically for MIC MCC004 :wink:

Hmmmm.

Pioneer 115D (1.06) at 8x.

Let’s hope my Sammy or LG looks better scan-wise. Although I can’t fault the TRT, apart from one tiny dip.

Even though it dropped to 4x at the 3GB mark, the Sammy SH-S182D seems OK with these at “8x”. Another good TRT and a better looking scan :slight_smile:

Not too shabby. :disagree: I do believe that those discs are still better than one of my batches of MIT, LOL.

[quote=Arachne;1997361]Hmmmm.

Pioneer 115D (1.06) at 8x.

Let’s hope my Sammy or LG looks better scan-wise. Although I can’t fault the TRT, apart from one tiny dip.[/quote] That doesn’t look good. Any tiny scratches, scuff marks or dirt near the edge on that disc?

[quote=Arachne;1997392]Even though it dropped to 4x at the 3GB mark, the Sammy SH-S182D seems OK with these at “8x”. Another good TRT and a better looking scan :)[/quote] Looks OK, although the dip to 4x is worrisome.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1997400]That doesn’t look good. Any tiny scratches, scuff marks or dirt near the edge on that disc?

Looks OK, although the dip to 4x is worrisome.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Looks clear enough. To the naked eye, of course. :wink:

Yeah, I think since the Sammy seems to like them (even if it does drop the speed), next test is da playback test :wink:

If that fails…it’s data only for these discs. :wink:

Might burn one each on the LG E10N and Optiarc 5170S tomorrow for giggles. :slight_smile:

Is this a European thing, or has anyone in the states seen them?

I don’t know … I have “something” against any thing that is Made In China

Good bye Verbatim (for me) :frowning:

Arachne, have you tried and faster burns like 12x and 16x?

I suppose they would be pretty ugly?

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;1997736]Arachne, have you tried and faster burns like 12x and 16x?

I suppose they would be pretty ugly?[/QUOTE]

I can’t on the Pioneer, as it’s in an external enclosure (connected to the PC with the ATi chipset, which is crappy for USB anyway).

But I can run a couple of higher speed burns on my Sammy or Optiarc for giggles, if you like. :wink:

Edited:

Optiarc AD-5170S @ 18x.

Not terrible for an 18x burn, again good TRT with the one tiny dip :slight_smile:

LOL Better at 18x than 8x :slight_smile:

Except for that one area it’s a pretty darn good burn. Speaking of that area did you look at the bottom after the burn?

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;1997793]LOL Better at 18x than 8x :slight_smile:

Except for that one area it’s a pretty darn good burn. Speaking of that area did you look at the bottom after the burn?[/QUOTE]

They’re all like that scan wise at the edge of the disc, every one I’ve burned, at whatever speed :eek:

Bottoms of the discs are good as far as the naked eye can see (no doubt if I examined them under the proper light I’d find something…).

Hehehe, they’re obviously fine if you don’t burn to the edge of the disc - I used a prepared image file that I use for reviewing, which uses the whole disc, give or take a meg or so.

My Optiarc is actually a very good burner, but since it’s my primary TRT drive I don’t like to burn with it too much. :slight_smile:

I just bought the ones at Office Max that are on sale for 19.99USD for a 100 spindle and I got another 10,00 off with a coupon so they only cost me 11.74 for 100 discs, they are not that bad or that great. Just fine is how I would discribe them. They are CMC Made PAPA MIT.

Alan…no MIC MCC004 media yet then? :wink:

None, I searched the whole store and couldnt find any, all Prodisc and CMC, for some reason I dont think North America or at least the East Coast get the MIC ones. The had the D/L MKM003 MIS but no MIC under the Verbatim brand. I just noticed that this thread is about the MIC Verbs, I am sorry Arachne.:o:o Happy Birthday :flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;1997870]None, I searched the whole store and couldnt find any, all Prodisc and CMC, for some reason I dont think North America or at least the East Coast get the MIC ones. The had the D/L MKM003 MIS but no MIC under the Verbatim brand. I just noticed that this thread is about the MIC Verbs, I am sorry Arachne.:o:o Happy Birthday :flower:[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, seems it could well be an EMEA only thing, at least at the moment then :eek:…and I can’t even find MKM 003 in a B&M store, since we’re on the subject, just MKM 001. Had my MKM 003s from Verbatim UK.

Oh well, you guys aren’t missing much from my tests so far (of the MIC MCC004) ROTFL :wink:

Hehehe, I’m evil, I was wondering how long it would take you to notice the thread title proper :bigsmile:

Damn, and I was cracking jokes at Verbatim’s “secret Chinese plant” just a month or two ago. Serves me right. I just hope it’s a while before they start showing up in my town. Probably jinxed myself. :rolleyes: