Verbatim DVD discs

vbimport

I have been using Verbatim DVD discs very successfully for two years on the information I received from myce.com but with the last purchase I made I have had disastrous results. Two out of three discs show error on the machine when I try to start the recording. I contacted the company I purchased them from and Their response was my machine must be faulty. The problem with that response is that I have two identical Panasonic DVD recorders and the disc problem is occurring on both of them. That doesn’t sound like a machine problem to me. Has anyone had similar problems or any advice as to how I should proceed?

I do not understand “status” of message - what am I suppose to change

Verbatim has recently changed one line of their dvds. Their new “Life Series” disks do not use the Mitsubishi/Verbatim AZO dye. They are simply CMC Magnetics disks, and don’t even use the Verbatim id codes.

Did you get these Life Series disks, or does the packaging show AZO on the side? If they are the newer series, your recorders may not recognize them properly and thus give poor results.

Thank you for answering - It shows AZO on the wrapper of the spindle
I take it from your message it means these Should work then, correct. And if so what is my next step?

How do I change Status of my question?

I’ve put the status of your question at “Unresolved”. So no need for you to worry with that.

I’m not sure what is going on with your recorders and these disks. To make sure that the recorders are not completely malfunctioning, get a small package of Sony DVD -R disks locally at Walmart, Best Buy, or whoever else might stock them. Don’t get Memorex or TDK or any of the Imation group.

See if the Sony disks will wok. If they do, you may have some bad disks from Verbatim, though that is fairly rare. Verbatim has a lifetime guarantee on their optical disks and you can contact them directly once you establish that your recorders are still working properly.

Kerry 56 - you have my gratitude for giving me something positive to do to help solve this problem. I have lost so many great movies from TCM because of this problem - my hobby which gives great pleasure. I will set about trying what you advise and let you know the result. Thank you.

I have seen the old data life packaging (AZO) contain the CMC media. The UPC was a sticker over the original UPC. I would guess they wanted to use up the packaging? Kinda dumb if you ask me because the media was CMC MAG 001 crap and surely not AZO!

I wish that was the answer but this AZO is part of the original plastic wrap that comes around the spindle. There are no stickers anywhere applied. I checked the discs themselves but there is no identification on the disc to indicate
AZO or CMC. Looking at the disc I don’t know how you are suppose to know what you have

If you have a dvd drive in your computer, you can use DVDIdentifier or ImgBurn to find out the mid code of the disks. True Verbatim 16x +R will be MCC 004. 16x -R will be MCC 03RG20

My computer is an ibook G4 - Nice little computer but no DVD drive
CD only

The problem with that response is that I have two identical[B] Panasonic DVD recorders[/B] and the disc problem is occurring on both of them.

Perhaps the Panasonic recorder(s) don’t play nice with the verbies…IOW, compatibility issue…Just a thought!..

I want to thank everyone out there who has tried to be so helpful - I really do appreciate it. It turns out that I can’t point an accusing finger at the Verbatim
discs because my Panasonic DVD recorder is at fault. Apparently there is some internal device that reads the disc when you insert it which has gone kaput - new machine for me apparently. Thanks a lot guys.Tuppeny

[QUOTE=Tuppenny;2526027]I want to thank everyone out there who has tried to be so helpful - I really do appreciate it. It turns out that I can’t point an accusing finger at the Verbatim
discs because my Panasonic DVD recorder is at fault. Apparently there is some internal device that reads the disc when you insert it which has gone kaput - new machine for me apparently. Thanks a lot guys.Tuppeny[/QUOTE]

Seems odd to me how two recorders fail at the same time. You did day you have two of the same recorders correct?

Yo-

As a suggestion-

Before you replace the recorder(s) - why don’t you check and see if there is new firmware available-

If there is - it may just correct your problems with the recorder(s)-eh

When I first started having trouble with recording I tried a disc in Machine 1 and did get the error message - since then with Machine 2 on the blink, giving me constant error messages, I have been recording my movies on Machine 1 with no more aberrations - so I am hoping that one disc really was faulty, got to get a bad one once in awhile, right. And Machine 1 will continue to function as suppose to. Yes both machines are identical but in replacing Machine 2 I was forced to get a new Model - after all it has been two years. I just hope it functions as well. I do know it was more expensive!

big Mike - you sent a message which I would like to keep in case of future troubles except I don’t understand it
Please what is “firmware”

^Firmware is a type of software that is saved on a read only chip in your machine. It tells the dvd drive how to recognize the various types of disks you might use in it, whether that might be a music cd, dvd movie, or blank media of various kinds. It will also contain a list of known types of blank media and set a specific type of strategy to burn each one.

If you put in a disk it cannot recognize, usually because it has a new id code not found in the current firmware, then the machine may try to burn the disk using a generic strategy. These generic burning strategies sometimes work, but often produce poor burns, or even failed burns.

Firmware updates should be available at the Panasonic website for your particular recorder. Look for instructions on how to flash a new firmware while at their site, or read in the manual for your recorder.

To be honest i’m having the same problem with my lot of Verbatim DVD-R’s.out of 10 so far 3 are showing that they are not empty.weird since the next one i try works…always had perfect success with Verbatim up till now…

To both big mike 7 [17-06-2010] Post 8,318 and Kerry 56 [18-06-2010.
Because of you two gentleman you just saved me another $250.00. Believe it or not I am on my 4th Panasonic DVD recorder. At the time we had our previous conversation I felt I didn’t have the time to try to figure out if I could get the above mentioned firmware- send for it and then try to figure out what to do with it. In the intervening months while machine after machine let me down I did contact Panasonic and without any difficulty bought the firmware. I thought it was something that would involve opening the machine and installing a new part. My technological savvy son has just visited me on leave from Germany; so I handed machine and package to him and - please fix it!
Imagine my surprise when he opened the package to find a CD. All that had to be done was insert and follow on screen instructions and the machine updated the software and is now acting fine. I sincerely hope that means my purchasing days are over for a while and if the necessity arises I can use the disk again. You have my most heartfelt gratitude for being out there to reach out a helping hand. Thank you. In case you are curious why this is so important to me I will respond but I thought I had taken up enough space for now. Thank you gentlemen. Cherry Micalizio