Verbatim DLs at buy.com

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201752095&adid=17070&dcaid=17070

Not a bad price…

Yeah, but once you factor in shipping costs, it ends up being more expensive than the 10 packs for $20 in-store specials that are becoming so common these days. Also, I don’t know if the rebate is instant or MIR, but if it is MIR then the whole deal is a waste when you can get them for $20+tax at the counter on those in-store specials.

I still can’t see spending $1.80 per disk even for double layered disks. It seems absurd.
It reminds me of blank videotape in the late seventies when VCR’s were first mass marketed. One would consider it a good buy if they got a box of 10 blank TDK’s for $180.00! (That’s right - one hundred and eighty dollars). A plain, no frills Panasonic or RCA VHS at the time was $700 and that was only one show programming, an analog tuner and wired remote control.

Anyone here remember those days?

I wasn’t old enough to buy them myself, but we had two VCRs in the early 80s - one Betamax, and one VHS because no one else had Beta. Neither had a remote. A friend had a VHS w/wired remote, though. You could actually sit up to 8ft away from the TV!

I know this off-topic, but I just gottta chime in. We’re dating ourselves here, Wilton. :bigsmile: I remember my brother spending over $1000 :eek: on an RCA VHS player that doubled as camera recorder. The unit split in half, and if you bought an RCA camcorder, you can take the half-VHS and plug the camcorder to it to take video. I remember the battery unit weight about 3 or 4 lbs! :frowning:

I had one of those, though I did not have the camera. I used it until 91 or 92 when it died.

Back on topic, I would rather go to my local micro center or comp usa and get them for twenty bucks. For me it’s easier, faster (since I am just down the street from most of these places), cheaper when you factor in shipping costs and you can take them back if you have a bad batch or anything else wrong.

I remember seeing them and thinking that I wouldn’t mind having one at the time. My old VHS from those days weighed about 35 lbs!

I can also recall a co-worker saying, “What do you need a video tape recorder for”? I was waiting for them to be mass marketed since TV guide had predicted it in the early seventies. Who knew it would come to DVD’s that can have 25 gig of storage?! Back then, TV networks were erasing 2" videotape reels along with Sony’s high end Betamax pro cartridges because they were too expensive! Now everyone and his brother have backup copies in every conceivable codec of everything that’s broadcast 24/7!

Once again though, it depends on the application. I find them quite valuable when it comes to TV series that would require tons of compression to make them fit, or more importantly for videogame console backups that are double layered. For the vast majority of things, I agree that you are better off using single layer discs though.

Yeah I got an email from buy.com and it said free shipping but when I went to the site it was one of several items that did not have free shipping.

Also don’t think betamax is completely out yet as saw a person on another forum wanting to buy one. He said he got about halfway through transferring his tapes to DVD when his died.

Mack

There are still some units around. One of these days this and the first VHS model will be in the Smithsonian.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&q=sony%20betamax&sa=N&tab=wf

If you want to really see something interesting and get an idea of the how far away we were back in the early seventies, take a look at this:

http://www.angelfire.com/alt/cartrivision/

http://www.labguysworld.com/Museum017.htm

That’s something called Cartrivision. It was the ancestor of the VHS and Betamax units. I remember seeing it in a window of an electronics store and almost drooling. Obviously it never caught on as it was very expensive and riddled with problems.

They should allow me to crosspost this in the DVD recorder and Home Entertainment forum!

yup…this is a mail in rebate, which i always forget to mail in. plus the shipping is not free like the single layers i picked up from these guys. this reminds me i haven’t seen a sale in a couple weeks for the dl.

Huh? I seem to remember BB having one last week.

The article that was poted on the main page a couple days ago reguarding the increased demand for dl should hopefully mean massive increases in production followed by an overall decrease in price. Even 2 and change for a disc is a little steep.

As pointed out above, not when certain things are involved (ie TV series that require alot of compression or videogame backups). $2 and change for a 5-6 disc series is still a hell of alot cheaper than purchasing another $60-$70 box set or $2 and change is a hell of alot cheaper than buying another $40-$50 videogame title.

You can always use DVD Shrink to separate episodes (choose the Re-author function, that’s a big button at the right end of the toolbar).

You can even mix episodes from different DVD9s or mounted ISO images to fill 4.7 GB discs, for example, reauthoring a series of four six-episode DVD9s into six four-episode DVD5s. All of this without recompression.

DVD Shrink is a very versatile application. It can also combine two-disc (DVD9+DVD5, for example) movies like Pearl Harbor into one DVD9.

Been using DVD Shrink for a long time and yes I know all about tweaking it’s settings but once you get into breaking things up like that between multiple discs it just gets rediculous and having several episodes without a menu is just insane IMHO. Movies are one thing, but trying to navigate even 3-4 episodes without a menu is just a pain in the arse.

Sometimes… only dual layer discs will do.
When I back up my favorite, special effects laden movies… movies with greta visuals and sound… I do no want any compression whatsoever.
Cost of original movie 17-22 bucks.
Cost of dual layer media – 1.80-2.50 per disc.
Math works out for me.

I do understand people’s price concerns. But I am getting a widescreen hi-def tv soon and I want the back ups of movies such as Lord of The Rings to be 1:1 copies.