Verbatim DLP CD-R Made in EU

Hi,

today I saw Verbatim Data Life Plus CD-R (Crystal) sold in 10pcs slimcase in a local store. These are really pricey (5.99€/pack), so I didn’t buy them. The interesting thing: The discs are declared as “Made in EU”.

Any opinion about these?

Michael

Those still exist? Are they 52x rated?
Thanks for the info! They might be CMC-made in the Kodak/CMC plant in Ireland.
They are worth the extra price in this case… If you can, look at the hub code.

CMC-made Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-R is rare, but usually burns excellently. There are some drives preferring the CMC flavor and hating the MBI flavor (at least [B]Drage[/B]'s Optiarc is, maybe he found out more about it now).

Oh, and does that shop usually have old stock? Or is it a high circulation shop (as ever-annoying Media Markt and Saturn in the cities usually are)? That might be very important to know, as I also want some of these discs :stuck_out_tongue:
This might be a good sign if it is indeed new stock, it might be a sign that Verbatim gets more CMC stuff again.

EDIT: With slim cases there’s a way to detect MBI.
The black part on the top and bottom which holds the transparent front is rippled with the MBI slimcases, but not rippled if it’s from any other manufacturer’s slim cases.
The inlay holding thingies are rectangles with rounded edges if they are from MBI (and Ritek, Infodisc, …) slimcases, while they are half circles if they are from CMC (and Taiyo Yuden, Panasonic/Matsushita Japan…) slimcases.

Hi,

:iagree:

Thanks for the info! They might be CMC-made in the Kodak/CMC plant in Ireland.
I see.

They are worth the extra price in this case… If you can, look at the hub code.
I don’t remember exactly, but there was something like a print (looking like done by an old 8 needle printer) in the center, and the mirror band contained “CD-R” and “DLP”. Seems, I have to get some, but I doubt they will beat my Pastels :wink:

CMC-made Verbatim DataLifePlus CD-R is rare, but usually burns excellently. There are some drives preferring the CMC flavor and hating the MBI flavor (at least [B]Drage[/B]'s Optiarc is, maybe he found out more about it now).
I have 2 spindles of “MII” discs here. Average media, I think.

Oh, and does that shop usually have old stock?
You know “Real,-”, don’t you? :wink: People prefer buying Memorex or Platinum there :bigsmile:

EDIT: With slim cases there’s a way to detect MBI.
Much easier: “Made in India” on the package. I doubt, that Verbatim prints MIEU on MBI made discs.

Michael

I have more or less decided that my Optiarc AD-7173A is a lemon and I don’t really trust it for any purpose, but it’s true that it likes the Made in China much better than the Made in India variant of Verbatim DL+ Super Azo Crystal 52x CD-R.

My best drive for burning the Made in India discs is my BenQ DW1655 with BCIB (or BCHB) firmware (scans available on request) but even that drive burns even better with the Made in China discs.

Michael, perhaps you should sacrifice yourself for the common good and test those discs and post results here. :bigsmile:

Hi,

Good to read that. I haven’t tried mine on my 1650 BCIC yet :slight_smile:

Michael, perhaps you should sacrifice yourself for the common good and test those discs and post results here. :bigsmile:
You got me :bigsmile: What drive(s)? What speed? My recent test series were made at 40x, but I don’t want to waste that expensive media :wink:

Michael

Whatever speed you think is optimal. Personally I find that the 16x/32x for Audio/Data rule of thumb works very well for me, with the difference between 16x and 32x being almost exclusively the jitter.

You should IMO post scans (and statistics) using the Advanced Disc Quality feature in CDSpeed 4.7.0.0 on your BenQ DW1650 drive, because that will provide the most detailed information.

Since you will be spending your own time and money, it’s up to you of course. :slight_smile:

Moser Baer wanted to build a plant in Erfurt, Germany once :wink:
Well, the jewel cases are another way to detect the CMCness.
CMC hub codes have a lower resolution so it could well be that they are CMC.
Memorex is still a better choice than Platinum imo :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ll look at the supermarkets in my area. (But also at ever-annoying MM and Saturn, of course. Each new delivery could be a Made in EU delivery, although chances are low…)
I remember having bought quite some MCC 003 (CMC) and MCC 002 (MIS!) in Marktkauf supermarkets. I luv them because they’re selling old stock!!

These discs were a waste of money :frowning:
Drive: LG 4163B A106
Speed: 24X
Burned with ImgBurn
Scanned at 40x with Benq DW 1650 BCIC (CD/DVD Speed) and Liteon SOHR-5239V 2$OE (Kprobe)
Don’t care about the reading curve, I did something else during that scan :wink:
At least with the LG the MII discs are much better: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1496662&postcount=3

Whoa, check out the jitter! :eek:

As always, thanks for taking the time to test, Michael :flower:

Sorry to hear that, Michael.

The results are not impressive, but at least there are no E22 errors.
Since you didn’t use the Advanced Disc Quality scan for the MII discs, you can’t be sure that they are better (although they probably are) because I’d take a peak BLER of 61 with zero E22 over a beautiful BLER with non-zero E22 any day of the week.

That is why I have always trusted my Plextor scanner more for CD scans, and now also the BenQ which even show the indivdual BLER errors (E11, E21, E31).

We can hope that your discs burn better in your other drives, e.g. the BenQ drive.

Hi,

really ugly, isn’t it? :bigsmile: Seriously, I have seen worse results, also the peak should be ignored.

As always, thanks for taking the time to test, Michael :flower:
Always at your service Ma’am :flower:

I just did the same test with a MII disc, so we can compare. See below.

We can hope that your discs burn better in your other drives, e.g. the BenQ drive.
Not to forget the Samsung, as it did a rather good job with the MII discs. Also, this is only a 10 pack of those discs.

Michael
EDIT: added scan for the same test as above, but with a MII disc.