Verbatim DL MKM001 INDIA CRAP! **56K Beware**

:ai got my first batch of india 2.4x dl

i must say it is absolute crap, 4 coasters right off the bat

pioneer 212d

half the discs have defects on the surface and dye.

called verbatim , was told they are exactly the same (BS).

sending me a return label to send them back.

i took some pics showing the defects on new unburned media.

avoid these made in india dual layers!

Click on image for full size (1.7 MB)

Click on image for full size (1.7 MB)

we knew that they weren’t has good as MIS but those have real problems on the surface!
btw those images are a bit big

I must get all the good Verbatim DL MKM001 MII, I overburn them to 7-8x no problem. But they don’t look like that. Good ole Sam’s Club 50pk $69.95 and never had a coaster.

10/31/2007 2:37:41 PM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
10/31/2007 2:37:25 PM info Media removed. Burning layer not ready to write
10/31/2007 2:37:23 PM info Finalization Time 00:01:12 - Total completion time 00:16:39
10/31/2007 2:36:10 PM info Write finished in 00:15:27 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 7.05
10/31/2007 2:20:43 PM info Lead-in burning time (mS) 0
10/31/2007 2:20:43 PM info Write started 4019600 sectors to write
10/31/2007 2:20:43 PM info Layer change set to LBA 2047296 (3.9 Gb.)
10/31/2007 2:20:19 PM info Writing speed requested x8.0, effective x8.0
10/31/2007 2:20:19 PM info Layer break set by user at sector 2047296
10/31/2007 2:20:19 PM info Available write speed: 8x, 6x, 4x, 2.4x
10/31/2007 2:20:19 PM info Media ID: MKM-001-00
10/31/2007 2:20:19 PM info Media type: Dual Layer DVD+R
10/31/2007 2:20:19 PM info Write started
10/31/2007 2:20:17 PM info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
10/31/2007 2:20:17 PM info Compatible media types : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVDRAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R, DL DVD-R
10/31/2007 2:20:17 PM info New Drive selected : 0:0:0 - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112L 8.21 [J] (Usb)

Can you post a quality scan on your MII dvd+r dl?
TY

I know what your looking for, Your looking for a scan with PIF, Jitter etc. Im sure i can scan the disc thru my BenQ or LiteOn but i don’t bother scanning as for me what counts is how compatible the DL burn is with standalone players. I have’nt found a standalone so far that the DL burns produced by the Pioneer 112L and MII Verb overburned has’nt played in. And pic quality is same as original. Scan is worthless for playback reasons unless the scan was so horrible. With the Pio 112L it’s worry free DL burning. And if i used 10x MKM-003 Verbs MIS the 112L burns those DL at 12.5x. But im sure you know i cross flashed my firmware to make it like this. As in first post im even doing this thru usb: 0:0:0 - PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112L 8.21 [J] (Usb). The only problem i have with MIS MKM-003 is the price, $4.00 U.S. each.

I burn all my MIS 2.4x(thank god i can find them near home) @6x with my plextor 760A, lower than that i have worse results, 6x seems to be the sweet spot. 500 PIF total.

Im in U.S. i can only find MII, Only MIS i can get here at the moment is MKM-003 but there alot of $. But i see where you are and my wife has some family still in Portugal. I’ll tell them to send me 200 or so discs if i can’t get any here. I also burn them at 6x with 760A and ext 755UF

Those results are worrying. You should indeed send the discs back to Verbatim. Take some scanning pictures and whatnot also and send them to Verbatim. Hopefully they’ll finally see that the MII can be very bad.

@ greengiant2315 - you should scan a disc here and there if you have a benQ/liteon. You never know if a media might degrade over time and scanning is very good at detecting this.

Your correct about that. But even if scan was wonderful in just a short time some other format is going to take over. I think and i am only thinking This DVD 480i format has IMO maybe 3 yrs or less b4 you see them starting to disappear from stores. I wish what wud happen is blu-ray or hd-dvd wud take a dump but i think one is going to take over within 2 yrs.

always avoid INDIA of all cost…buy MADE IN TAIWAN or JAPAN or even SINGAPORE.

the tech at verbatim could care less when i offered photos.

he very sternly insisted all us “internet people” are crazy

that the media made in india is the same as singapore.

and the photos are big to show detail

[quote=crunchtime2k;1920713]and the photos are big to show detail[/quote] Photos resized within the thread to preserve layout and protect people from forced 3.4 MB dowloads. They are clickable to show your original photos. :wink:

I bet the MII DL Verbatims are full of defects because all the spices’ particles floating in Indian air :bigsmile:

Send them to Verbatim and get a replacement :slight_smile:

Is it just me or does Verbatim QC really sux ?!!

either that or that never heard of a clean room and air cleaners.

this whole situation ahs really made me sour about verbatim.

i have a similar situation with ritek

riteks customer service sucks ROYAL ****

atleast verbatim is helping out

[QUOTE=greengiant2315;1920648] Im sure i can scan the disc thru my BenQ or LiteOn but i don’t bother scanning as for me what counts is how compatible the DL burn is with standalone players.[/QUOTE]
The scan could show up problems that you have no other way to see if the test is just will it play in my SAP.

The whole point of the tests I do with my media is so I have a base line to check back next year (or whatever) to see how well the disk has stood up, and, as I said above, a good way to check what (if any) has caused the problems, I have found some older media that had failed most times no matter what I did, but after my checking I have found that a 4x burn with my 4167B, with nothing else whatever going on with the computer will give a ok burn that works.

This is fake Aone with a TYG02 MID media, but I have learned it and get a working burn out of it now, where as before the jitter (I think) was the cause because of the computer having to do other things and putting the flow of data off. Its only £10 quids worth of media, but TBH I dont see the need to waste any media when with a bit of time and learning of your drives it can be got to work.

I agree with you totally, I’ll put it in a better way. If the DL movie i burn lasts a month thats all i care about. But you are correct on the scanning. Then again i have MII that still play the same 2 years later. I just don’t bother scanning. I don’t keep the copies long. When whoever wants to see the movie see’s it that is my only concern. BTW in life nothing lasts forever, Even MIS etc. Or us as humans, No scanning is 100% accurate either with the best scanning drive out there. I would’nt want a DVD for 20 years or even 10 as new tech leaves older tech in the dust sooner or later. Yet again newer tech always does’nt mean better. For a example its been years since i watched a VHS, Beta, 8mm tape as it’s history. The same goes for 8 track music tapes your not seeing many ppl still using them. And yes tapes are’nt digital data like DVD’s or CD’s. Same will happen to DVD 480i in just a few years or even less. Bottom line MII is’nt as bad as most ppl think, Unless those ppl are getting really horrible batches or using drives that are’nt very good burning in DL in the first place or can’t burn a certain media type very well. Pioneers can burn inferior media very well if you want to call MII verbs the junk of DL’s that verb Mfr’s.

[QUOTE=crunchtime2k;1920634]:ai got my first batch of india 2.4x dl

i must say it is absolute crap, 4 coasters right off the bat

pioneer 212d

half the discs have defects on the surface and dye.[/QUOTE]

MBI manufactured stuff is quite variable for physical quality, I have had some defective Verbatim ones before aswell.

I hear ya, I been lucky. Also 112 and 212 Pio are not alike either. Dunno my sams club must have a good batch of MII, The term “Coaster” means the write failed in the burn process. Some ppl use the term coaster to say the DVD did not play in there player/standalone but the burn did’nt fail.

[quote=greengiant2315;1920985]The term “Coaster” means the write failed in the burn process. Some ppl use the term coaster to say the DVD did not play in there player/standalone but the burn did’nt fail.[/quote] Most people use the term “coaster” for an optical disc that is not (fully) readable.

I like this definition from Wikipedia:

A recordable [U]optical disc[/U] (e.g. [U]CD-R[/U], [U]DVD-R[/U]) which has not been properly [U]recorded[/U], thus becoming useless as a [U]data storage[/U] medium. The implication is that the plastic disc now is only useful as beverage coaster; similarly arrived-at terms for other objects include “doorstop” and “paperweight”. The term ‘coaster’ can also be used perjoratively to describe disc-based media which has been properly recorded (movies, video games, music, etc.) but contains content that is considered too undesirable (that is, “crappy”) for the disc to be used as anything other than a coaster.

LOL, thats a good coaster explanation hehe:bigsmile: