Verbatim DL media smell!

Hello folks,

Yesterday I purchased a 25 piece Verbatim DL Advanzed AZO 2.4x which comes in a cake box, but when i opened it, i found out it smells like crap!! The smell is something like burnt plastic, is this normal? For sure the smell doesn’t come from the plastic case, it does come from the discs!! Oh, forgot to mention they are the printable ones! Any idea as to what’s this weird smell?

Thanks,

John! :smiley: :smiley:

id think it would be normal , i mean when i open a fresh pack of my pannys i get a strong wiff of coconut :stuck_out_tongue:

Well sometimes I get a strong smell of shit too, but that’s usually my dog letting one go.

Some discs just have an odor I guess, as long as they work, that’s the important thing :slight_smile:

Great - another disc sniffing thread! :doh: :bigsmile:

Welcome to CDFreaks, John/construder! :flower:

[U]Don’t lick on them though[/U]. I remember someone here got a bit sick from that. Something about a little drunk and the sweet taste = bad stomach :wink:

I didn’t get sick by licking on TYs…

I do remember one very old post from [B]Arachne[/B], though…

The only media that had smell for me is TY (Sony T02 and Panasonic TYG03) , the same strange smell :slight_smile:

Prodisc’s also have a strange smell, not crap smell…

Sounds like those Katrina disks are popping up again…

Thanks folks for the immediate responses! To be accurate, the smell is not that crap, but it’s a bit strange. the kind you smell when you burn plastic. Anyway, thanks again, see ya! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You need to switch media. My Taiyo Yudens have the aroma of Japan in springtime during the Cherry Blossom Festival…

Exactly , although I don’t know what this smells like , but it smells “that” strange for me :bigsmile:

Hmm for disc likkers prodisc probably made those germ proof disc’s to make it more safe. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

LOL! :bow:

New Germproof DVD media

Oh I love these sniffing threads, wondered when another one would appear :bigsmile:

Welcome to CDF, John! :flower:

LOL @ cd pirate :bigsmile:

I really don’t know but I wouldn’t be so fast to blame it on the discs. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: just j/ing.

I think it’s the glues that leak out the sides. It might even be the quality of the chemical used to create the polycarbonate layers.

Taiwanese Sony DVD+R and DVD-R have a unique stink to them, but it’s not overpowering.

Those cheap DVD cases from meritline have a horrible petroleum stink, like huffing gasoline! :eek:

Did you sniff it on purpose? :stuck_out_tongue:

The most potent ones I’ve found are older Riteks or Maxell-branded RICOHJPN R03-04… they’re kinda overwhelming, so enjoy them in a well-ventilated area or employ the buddy system. Remember to limit yourself to one disc at a time, and always cover the remaining discs before you start.

Hahaha :bigsmile:

Hmmm, haven’t noticed that about my Maxell RICOHJPN R03s. I’ll have a quick sniff next time I use them :o

I have a 50 pk of MIS and i notice no smell :disagree: I also have a few 10 pks and nothing there either :confused: Maybe my smeller doesn’t work right anymore :bigsmile: