Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R

I just bought a 50pk of Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R and i would like to know if i just bought some crap and need to return them or are they any good?

difficult to lable, should burn at 16x or less, cool looking but not the best for quality burns.

They are most likely CMC magnetics light green Pythalocyanine discs. Not the nice deep blue Metal Azo they once used to be.

I personally would never use them. But for everyday burning they would be ok. The days of Super Azo and Metal Azo are almost completely dead and buried.

I would love to know whether they’re CMC phthalocyaine discs or MCC azo discs. If it’s the phthalocyaine variety, I’d look elsewhere. Ritek makes a nicer phthalocyanine disc than CMC.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1921180]I would love to know whether they’re CMC phthalocyaine discs or MCC azo discs. If it’s the phthalocyaine variety, I’d look elsewhere. Ritek makes a nicer phthalocyanine disc than CMC.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

99% chance it’s phthalocyanine. If it says 52x it’s phthalo. Maybe if you find old stock you’d get lucky.

No, mate. You can’t be 100% sure. I have some Verbatim CD-Rs that are 1X-52X rated and are Super Azo. In fact, quite a large quantity of 52X Azo CD-Rs were produced.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Interesting, I was just going to ask about 1-52x Datalife Plus Super AZO…

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1921224]No, mate. You can’t be 100% sure. I have some Verbatim CD-Rs that are 1X-52X rated and are Super Azo. In fact, quite a large quantity of 52X Azo CD-Rs were produced.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

Those discs with the vinil design like the old LPs can be anything from MCC to TY to CMC…over here in Japan i have seen all three variations. The latest was MIJ TY of which i bought one pack last week.

FYI, here in Europe it’s like that:
[B]Verbatim Super Azo 52x CD-R (for data)[/B] is still alive and well, now it’s mostly made in India by Moser Baer.
Older Made in China and Made in Europe 52x Super Azo CD-R (made by CMC, I assume) were also still around for some time, but now it’s all India.

[B]Verbatim Vinyl CD-R[/B] are only sold in a 10 disc (slim jewel cases) pack and are always Made in India and, if I remember correctly, Super Azo.

[B]Verbatim Live It! Audio CD-R[/B] is either Metal Azo made by CMC in China (super rare) or Taiyo Yuden made in Japan (not so rare).

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;1921224]No, mate. You can’t be 100% sure. I have some Verbatim CD-Rs that are 1X-52X rated and are Super Azo. In fact, quite a large quantity of 52X Azo CD-Rs were produced.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/QUOTE]

I think he was speaking specifically about the Digital Vinyl discs, that if they’re 52x they’re phthalocyanine, not about all Verbatim CD-R media.

Indeed I was talking specifically about Digital Vinyl discs. I know full well that Super Azo discs supported up to 52x and are still available under the Verbatim name. But for the vinyl discs, I highly doubt they would be super azo and if someone somehow found the Vinyl’s were Super Azo, I would love to know how to distinguish them apart from Phthalocyanine rubbish.

I have around 200 16X Digital Vinyl. They are Super AZO MCC, 97m34s21f .
I also had the 52X variety, they are CMC 97m26s66f

What about these Made in Taiwan 2003?

[quote=MegaDETH;1921587]What about these Made in Taiwan 2003?[/quote] What about them? Is there a question in there somewhere? :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue:

hehe just thinking those should be AZO Blue and wanted confirmation, I will find out soon enough :smiley:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1921592]What about them? Is there a question in there somewhere? ;)[/QUOTE]

I have seen these by the cash register at Staples. Never really payed attention to them so i will have to check them out next time i see some.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;1921365]
[B]Verbatim Vinyl CD-R[/B] are only sold in a 10 disc (slim jewel cases) pack and are always Made in India and, if I remember correctly, Super Azo.
[/QUOTE]

Yep your correct i have a pack of 10 vinyl discs mii super azo.

hehe just thinking those should be AZO Blue and wanted confirmation, I will find out soon enough :D[/QUOTE]

It says Super Azo on the case lol. How much more obvious can it get :stuck_out_tongue:

Reviving this thread.

I bought some at Microcenter with the belief that ALL CD-R will play on any CD player. I. was. wrong.

These CDs only played on a few players. Many of them couldn’t read it, struggled to read it, or produce clicks and pops (notably the first track). Only a couple were able to play them flawlessly. Why is this? My PC reads them fine, but not on many others.

I burned them in Adobe Audition at 16x (that’s the minimum it can go). It’s frustrating.

Many of the CD players I’ve used at an event can all read Red Book CDs. I need something akin to that.

What drive did you use?

Using a tool such as Nero CD-DVD Speed, OptiDriveControl, or similar, can you tell us who the reported manufacturer is?