Verbatim Digital Vinyl AZO CD-R 52x..... any good?

vbimport

Hello everyone, I am new here in the forum :o so pardon my n00bness if I exhibit any. (Also If I posted in the wrong subforum please move it for me :))

I recently brought few pieces of Verbatim Digital Vinyl AZO CD-R 52x… are these stuff any good?

I didn’t buy it by spindles so I have no means of checking from what country it was made of, so I am here to ask if I did buy something really durable for archival purposes (I am planning to burn my FLACs :)).

Here is what I got:

IMGBURN
ATIP Information:
Disc ID: 97m34s23f
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.
Start Time of LeadIn: 97m34s23f
Last Possible Start Time of LeadOut: 79m59s73f

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Verbatim
MID : 97m34s23f
Write speeds: : 10 X - 16 X - 20 X - 24 X
Capacity: : 79:59.73
: 703 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 98 00 61 22 17 00 4F 3B 49 00 00 00 80 00 - …a"…O;I…
0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 80 80 00

Opti Drive Control
Disc info
Type CD-R
Manufacturer ID 97m34s23f
Capacity 359998 sectors, 79:59.73, 703 MB
Write speeds 24 X , 20 X , 16 X , 10 X
Disc status closed
ATIP 0000 : C0 00 98 00 61 22 17 00 …a"…
0008 : 4F 3B 49 00 00 00 80 00 O;I…
0010 : 00 80 00 00 00 80 80 00 …

So are these any good? I would like to also know specifically

1. Who is really the manufacturer of these discs?
  2. Are these from Singapore? or Taiwan? or other?
  3. Are these really made up of AZO?
  4. Would you recommend me to buy this stuff again over the Verbatims from CMC?

Thank you so much for finding time to read my post, and I hope to hear from you. :slight_smile:

P.S. Here’s what it looked like

Moved from Newbie forum to the Blank Media forum, where you should get better informed replies.

Definitely good stuff. Can you tell me the number that you can read in the clear plastic hub area? This will allow me to tell you whether it’s MIS, MIT, MIC or MII (most likely Chinese or Indian made though as Singapore hasn’t made any CD-R for ages).

Thank you so much kg_evilboy for your response. The number on the plastic hub is:

NOINDI87804177402

Thank you so much.

Could it be starting N01N or N10N or something like that instead?
In that case, these CD-R are made by CMC Magnetics (Taiwan or China).

I think these are very good discs, especially as Azo dye CD-R are quite uncommon nowadays. The fact that the ATIP is Verbatim/Mitsubishi means that it is most likely an Azo CD-R. Azo discs are a bit more coloured (more blue-greenish than regular phthalocyanine discs that are only slightly yellow/gold/greenish) on the recording side.

Thanks kg_evilboy, most likely it is, as I was really having a hard time determining if I was 1 or the other way around. Thank you for all that information, at least now I am assured that I did buy something that suits my purpose.

However, got a question tho (not to mean to question your judgments and information), aren’t CMC products reputed as being mediocre?

Thank you again :smiley:

Verbatim is a brand name owned by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. They farm out most of their production to other companies, like CMC Magnetics in Taiwan or FTI in UAE or Moser Baer in India. The disks are made to specifications set out by Mitsubishi however, and are not just run of the mill products from these companies.

Cool! Thanks for the clarification Kerry56, I appreciate it.

Thank you guys for all the information you have shared :slight_smile:

I’m wondering where the OP found some Digital Vinyl CD-Rs that use Azo dye :eek:

I mean there were the OLD ones from 2003 that used the up-to-16x Metal Azo dye but those are long gone, and Azo CD-Rs have disappeared from retail (in the USA at least).

http://www.verbatim.com.sg/en_SG/products/bluray-dvd-cd--cd/cd-r/63305/cd-r-azo-700mb-52x-gold-vinyl-50pk-spindle/gallery

I want some of those for the sheer cool factor alone.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2621922]http://www.verbatim.com.sg/en_SG/products/bluray-dvd-cd--cd/cd-r/63305/cd-r-azo-700mb-52x-gold-vinyl-50pk-spindle/gallery

I want some of those for the sheer cool factor alone.[/QUOTE] They look amazing! :bow:

@[B]x_girlfriend[/B]: Welcome to the MyCE forums! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2621919]Azo CD-Rs have disappeared from retail (in the USA at least).[/QUOTE]

I dunno about the digital vinyl ones, but Azo CD-R’s are still available. B&H has them (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300526-REG/Verbatim_94523_CD_R_700MB_DataLifePlus_Disc.html) – i picked up a spindle a few months ago, they are made in China and produce nice burns – and newegg lists them too.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2621919]I’m wondering where the OP found some Digital Vinyl CD-Rs that use Azo dye :eek:

I mean there were the OLD ones from 2003 that used the up-to-16x Metal Azo dye but those are long gone, and Azo CD-Rs have disappeared from retail (in the USA at least).[/QUOTE]
I got five of those really old Metal AZOs from eBay. Will keep them until I can get my hands on a Yamaha F1 that can actually DiscT@2 them.

Yes Two Degrees it looks cool especially that I’m burning songs on it, sort of a perfect match :smiley:
Thanks DrageMester, everyone has been very great and helpful here :smiley: and of course thanks for all the info
kg_evilboy :smiley:

Sorry to bump this, but I found this over the internet:

[U]Store Link[/U]
Says,[B] Japan AZO Dye.[/B]

But also found this:

[U]Store Link[/U]

Also another [U]Store Link[/U]

Can anyone verify the [I]Japan AZO Dye statement[/I]?
I really wonder why this “cd” is sort of “rare” if that’s the right word…

Thanks for all the help guys :slight_smile: