Verbatim Digital Movies DVD+R on AOpen writers

Hello,

Just like to share my experiences on this:

I have an AOpen DVD writer, DUW1608/ARR, latest firmware 1.08, and wanted to burn my home movies on Verbatim Digital Movie DVD+R 4x speed on this burner. The disc seemed to come out ok, but didn’t work well on my standalone Onkyo DV-SP502 DVD player (Towards the end of the movie, the frames started to stumble and at some point the whole movie froze). Normally my Onkyo player plays all discs without problems, so I was unpleasantly surprised that the Verbatim’s didn’t play well. I also wasn’t too happy about this, because I bought 20 of these Verbatim’s, since they were tested well and recommended for archiving home movies, because of the so-called AZO “metal” layer feature, which protects better against UV and also offers a better picture and sound quality…

Anyway: I next burned that same movie on a common Imation DVD+R 8x and tried that one in my Onkyo, with good results: the movie played back without any distortion…
As a test I copied this Imation disc in my other system with the “old” AOpen DVDRW 2412Pro to a new Verbatim Digital Movie Disc (used Nero DVD-Copy for that). To my surprise this time that Verbatim DVD worked fine in the Onkyo player…:slight_smile:
So I’m questioning myself here:

1. Does it have to do with the bad support of diferent brands of DVD+R’s on the AOpen DUW1608? I have the latest firmware installed…
  2. Does the DUW1608 has a problem with AZO-layered discs?
  3. Does it have to do with burning the Verbatim Digital Movie disc (4x speed supported) at a lower speed?. (The AOpen DVDRW 2412 Pro only has a top-speed of 2.4). If that would be the case maybe I should burn the next Verbatim with the DUW1608 only at 2.4 speed? (Seems silly though with a fast burner like that).
    I’m curious if any of you has some opinions on this…
    Thanks in advance…