Verbatim DataLifePlus

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-52x-cdr-media-94904---p-18225.aspx

Can anyone vouch for these CDRs? The description says it has a dual layer of protection. Are they really scratch resistant and durable?

I tried to scratch one of these with keys and it was a lot harder to make damage than to other CD-Rs (on the printable side of course, it is the same on recordable side).

Edit: sorry about that, I tried to scratch Verbatim Crystal CDs.

[QUOTE=dj-test;2225111]I tried to scratch one of these with keys and it was a lot harder to make damage than to other CD-Rs (on the printable side of course, it is the same on recordable side).

Edit: sorry about that, I tried to scratch Verbatim Crystal CDs.[/QUOTE]

Well, I’m in the USA.

Are the DataLifePlus discs basically the same thing?

It doesn’t matter if you’re from USA or Madagascar, their discs are the same.

Maybe they are the same, they both have DataLifePlus written on them, but they look different:

http://www.verbatim.com/images/products/94892_Disc2.jpg
http://www.arcomp.com.pl/images/katalog/CD-R_Verbatim_Crystal_kij.JPG

Just bumping this thread.

How good are these CDRs for archival life and reliability? Are they as good as premium Taiyo Yudens?

The Crystal discs from Verbatim have a tougher top layer than most other CDs including Taiyo Yuden.

Other than that, the Taiyo Yuden CD-R media is in most cases better than the currently available Verbatim Azo / Super Azo CD-R media (and better than any other available CD-R media).

I consider the Verbatim (Super) Azo to be second best with TY being the best. Production variations within a certain type of media can certainly change which particular batch of CD-R media is better, however.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2242437]The Crystal discs from Verbatim have a tougher top layer than most other CDs including Taiyo Yuden.

Other than that, the Taiyo Yuden CD-R media is in most cases better than the currently available Verbatim Azo / Super Azo CD-R media (and better than any other available CD-R media).

I consider the Verbatim (Super) Azo to be second best with TY being the best. Production variations within a certain type of media can certainly change which particular batch of CD-R media is better, however.[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The reason I ask is because I understand that TY has gone bad (packing their CDs in China, may defective discs). I really don’t want to take a chance on TY. So I need a GOOD alternative.

It depends on what exactly the purpose of your CD burning is - if it’s archival for personal use, then the Falcon Centry archival media might be up your alley. If it’s for distribution, then a trifecta of longevity+compatibility+cost come into the equation. And that’s not going to be an easy one!

Then again, if you go to GenesysDTP and ask the owner (he seems to know his stuff pretty well) you MAY be able to verify that shop’s Taiyo Yudens production and packaging location.

(For reference, most “Verbatim” CDs in the U.S. are just various other company products with the “Verbatim” on the top.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2242623]It depends on what exactly the purpose of your CD burning is - if it’s archival for personal use, then the Falcon Centry archival media might be up your alley. If it’s for distribution, then a trifecta of longevity+compatibility+cost come into the equation. And that’s not going to be an easy one![/QUOTE]

It’s for distribution. What would be the best in this case? Beside Taiyo Yuden…