Verbatim cd-r

vbimport

I have a few VERBATIM CD-R #43351 made in Japan 50pack spindles bought several years ago but never opened. The spindles are labeled Extra Protection and not AZO. Were these made by Taiyo Yuden? I know that they are no longer available so are current offerings from Verbatim any good? I was only able to find Verbatim CD-R media made in India and in China.

Which verbatim product number do they show?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

As I already wrote above Verbatim#43351.

Oops I’ve read it too quickly! That’s an interesting combination of manufacture and model number. If they were from Taiwan they’d be CMC

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2780083]I have a few VERBATIM CD-R #43351 made in Japan 50pack spindles bought several years ago but never opened. The spindles are labeled Extra Protection and not AZO. Were these made by Taiyo Yuden?[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you just open them and read the ATIP?

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2780083]I know that they are no longer available so are current offerings from Verbatim any good? I was only able to find Verbatim CD-R media made in India and in China.[/QUOTE]

In my experience current Verbatim AZO blanks (with Verbatim / Mitsubishi ATIP) are pretty bad, as is most other CD-R media. The printable “professional” Verbatim media (medical grade, clear cake box with a white label) is just OK-ish, i.e. not as bad as the normal retail one.
If you can, get FTI made TDK CD-Rs, CMCpro Tayio Yuden (avoid the value grade ones, which are really B grade), or Traxdata Pro Ritek. In my experience (limited, would probably need 10+ spindles each to be statistical relevant) those are still excellent to good quality. None of those match the insane low BLER of old TY, though.

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2780083]I have a few VERBATIM CD-R #43351 made in Japan 50pack spindles bought several years ago but never opened. The spindles are labeled Extra Protection and not AZO. Were these made by Taiyo Yuden? I know that they are no longer available so are current offerings from Verbatim any good? I was only able to find Verbatim CD-R media made in India and in China.[/QUOTE]

If the data side of the discs is blue vs. light green and MIJ they are Taiyo Yuden. If the underside of the discs is light green, they are fakes (not made in Japan). However as drezon wrote, you will only find out for sure when you check the ATIP.

Regarding current AZO CD-R’s. Made in China is significantly better than Made in India however these discs are no match to TY media. I like them for their crystal surface protection, probably the best surface protected discs available right now. But you do compromise on error rates.

[QUOTE=aztekk;2780115]If the data side of the discs is blue vs. light green and MIJ they are Taiyo Yuden. If the underside of the discs is light green, they are fakes (not made in Japan). However as drezon wrote, you will only find out for sure when you check the ATIP.

Regarding current AZO CD-R’s. Made in China is significantly better than Made in India however these discs are no match to TY media. I like them for their crystal surface protection, probably the best surface protected discs available right now. But you do compromise on error rates.[/QUOTE]

I was looking for non printable CD-R and the only I could find were made in China, but Extra Protection and not AZO. Which CD-R have crystal surface protection?

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2780127]I was looking for non printable CD-R and the only I could find were made in China, but Extra Protection and not AZO. Which CD-R have crystal surface protection?[/QUOTE]

Crystal surface protection is exclusively found on AZO CD-R’s. So you need to look for AZO CD-R and CRYSTAL on the packaging. You can read more here: http://www.verbatim.com.sg/technotes/technologies.pdf

Extra Protection CD-R’s are rebranded media of other manufacturers (CMC, MBI, Taiyo Yuden) and do not use any Verbatim/Mitsubishi technologies such as AZO dye or Crystal surface. Those Extra Protection discs Made in China will likely be manufactured by CMC Magnetics.

Does anyone know if Verbatim professional are any better than their regular media?

[QUOTE=kyrcy;2780499]Does anyone know if Verbatim professional are any better than their regular media?[/QUOTE]

Read my last reply in this thread, maybe? There I wrote that in my limited experience they are better. However, CMC pro TY or FTI TDK are much better than even the “professional” Verbatims.

I prefer to buy locally and I can’t find CMC pro TY, FTI TDK or Traxdata Pro Ritek.

[QUOTE=drezon;2780110]
If you can, get FTI made TDK CD-Rs, CMCpro Tayio Yuden (avoid the value grade ones, which are really B grade), or Traxdata Pro Ritek. In my experience (limited, would probably need 10+ spindles each to be statistical relevant) those are still excellent to good quality. None of those match the insane low BLER of old TY, though.[/QUOTE]

How are Falcon CD-Rs?

These for example. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Falcon-Media-Shiny-Premium-High-Quality-Duplication-Grade-CD-R-700mb-52x-Thermal-/282205160104?hash=item41b4bd02a8%3Ag%3AKbMAAOSwTA9X8jCc

I’m not sure how to read the test results. Also don’t know if anyone has tested them recently.

Thanks

Falcon CD-R should be excellent quality (equal to Taiyo Yuden), especially those labelled ‘Pro’. :smiley:

[Although Falcon-made discs sold under other brands [I]may[/I] be of lesser quality, rather like buying Taiyo Yuden’ Valueline discs.]

[QUOTE=drezon;2780110]If you can, get FTI made TDK CD-Rs…[/QUOTE]
FTI = Falcon. They use TDK’s ATIP code under license.