Verbatim CD-R quality

vbimport

Hello folks

I find your forums quite informative whenever searching for disc burners or blank media.

I recently bought a 50 pack spindle (my first) of verbatim cd-r. Though i had ordered azo ones, i received non azo instead.

On checking the disc info, this is what i get

ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
Disk Is not unrestricted
Disk Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-) (4)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11607 (97:27/18)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 18
Manufacturer: Plasmon Data systems Ltd.

Capacity  Blklen/Sparesz.  Format-type  Type
      449849             2048         0x00  No Media Present or Unknown Capacity

These are made in India, and have plasmon as manufacturer.

Also, on the bottom side of the disc, the following is written:

CDR UG 80

Can you please enlighten me about the quality of this media. I mainly intend to use it for burning linux distros.

It is a phthalocyanine CD-R disc (CDR UG 80 = CD-R Ciba Ultra Green dye, 80 minute/700 MB). Generally Plasmon media is considered to be mediocre; not necessarily bad but nothing to write mum about either.

If it’s used for burning Linux distros = short term data storage, it should be just fine. (However, if you want higher quality media for archival I’d recommend buying JVC Made in Japan (Taiyo Yuden) discs, and Ritek CD-R would be another option.)

Wow, I haven’t seen any Verbatim CD-Rs with Plasmon ATIP since 2002 or 2003. Could you post the hub code of those media? I wonder if they are a new old stock or if they were made recently.

I don’t know if this is the hub code, but it was written in extremely small size on the top of the disc.

TFPTL063

Hmm… well the only things written on the bottom of the disc are:

CDR UG 80

(08037106)

Are there any numbers/characters printed or laser etched near the center of the disc except “TFPTL063”?

Nope

TFPTL063

CDR UG 80

(08037106)

These 3 are the only things written anywhere on the disc. And the TF* string is infinitesimally small.

Thanks. Your Verbatims are most likely Chinese made fakes. :frowning:
Where did you buy them?

I bought them from here: http://www.letsbuy.com/verbatim-cd-r-700mb-52x-azo-p-20969 On the page, it’s mentioned AZO ones, but they sent me non-azo ones. I have written them an email to replace them. PS: on the pack, it is written made in india, though.

[QUOTE=atip_missing;2621766]I bought them from here: http://www.letsbuy.com/verbatim-cd-r-700mb-52x-azo-p-20969 On the page, it’s mentioned AZO ones, but they sent me non-azo ones. I have written them an email to replace them. PS: on the pack, it is written made in india, though.[/QUOTE]

The packaging is fake, too. :slight_smile:
Hopefully you will get a full refund or a replacement from those bad guys.

[QUOTE=pepst;2621797]The packaging is fake, too. :slight_smile:
Hopefully you will get a full refund or a replacement from those bad guys.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. can you please elaborate, how can you tell that the packaging is fake?

[QUOTE=pepst;2621691]Wow, I haven’t seen any Verbatim CD-Rs with Plasmon ATIP since 2002 or 2003. Could you post the hub code of those media? I wonder if they are a new old stock or if they were made recently.[/QUOTE]

I’ve never seen any, period :eek:

Reading down the posts as I type this reply, I see it’s Pepst to the rescue, thank God those are fakes. :slight_smile:

Finally received a replacement for them.

Here’s the atip information

# cdrecord dev=/dev/sr1 -atip                                                                              
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.01a07 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2012 Joerg Schilling
scsidev: '/dev/sr1'
devname: '/dev/sr1'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   : 
Vendor_info    : 'ASUS    '
Identifikation : 'DRW-24B3ST      '
Revision       : '1.00'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED 
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
cdrecord: Warning: Cannot read drive buffer.
cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been skipped.
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 4
Disk Is not unrestricted
Disk Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11077 (97:34/23)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359848 (79:59/73)
Disk type:    Long strategy type (Cyanine, AZO or similar)
Manuf. index: 11
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation

Capacity  Blklen/Sparesz.  Format-type  Type
    16763814             2048         0x00  No Media Present or Unknown Capacity

Product Number: 43343
Made in India

stamper code: ZE4347-CDR-A80A AZO
Hub code: 1032 50LC 1629

So are these good :rolleyes:

What did they tell you? Were those Verbatims fakes or from some legit new ultra low-end CD-R product line from Verbatim?

Product Number: 43343
Made in India

stamper code: ZE4347-CDR-A80A AZO
Hub code: 1032 50LC 1629

So are these good

They should be fine.

[QUOTE=pepst;2626362]
They should be fine.[/QUOTE]

What did they tell you? Were those Verbatims fakes or from some legit new ultra low-end CD-R product line from Verbatim?
I didn’t ask them, if they were fake or not, as i thought it might hamper the replacement process. Also, i don’t think they would have any clue, even if i did ask. I had to mail them many times to get this done. They are so careless, that they didn’t even bother taking the previous ones back. Now, i’ll have to courier them myself.

Yes, ZE4347-CDR-A80A AZO sounds very genuine.

Well, they’ll have to take them back on their own cost…

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2626373]Yes, ZE4347-CDR-A80A AZO sounds very genuine.
[/QUOTE]

I assume you’re not being sarcastic :stuck_out_tongue: