Verbatim CD-R 52x (CMC Magnetics, MID 97m26s66f)

vbimport

I bought a 100piece spindle of those “Verbatim” labeled CD-Rs (made in China),and checking the Media ID with CD Speed I came across that ID. Does anybody know if they’re any reputable? I can’t seem to find any info about them, and I have yet to see a more incomprehensible MID. No Super-AZO, no such things. It’s a plain looking CD-R media.

Here’s the info:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : CMC Magnetics
MID : 97m26s66f
Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 16 X - 20 X - 24 X - 32 X
Capacity: : 79:59.71
: 703 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - D0 00 98 00 61 1A 42 00 4F 3B 47 00 00 00 80 00 - …a.B.O;G…
0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …

And here’s how it looks like:

Thanks in advance for any input.

Those are Verbatim Extra Protection CD-R. The Extra Protection CD-R are not made with Verbatim technology but bought from other companies instead.
They can be used for everyday purposes and the quality is average, but I wouldn’t trust them for archival, as they switch manufacturers from time to time.

Sometimes, Verbatim Extra Protection CD-R from Taiyo Yuden (Made in Japan) show up. Those are good, if you can find them :bigsmile:

Thanks for your reply. It seems like I made a bad buy.

CMC CD-R is not (necessarily) a bad buy, in fact it is one of the better CD-R available nowadays, if bought under reputable brands.
How much did you pay for it?

Yes, Verbatim is a reputable one, but they just don’t look like the AZO ones. It may just be the psychological factor. I bought them for 22 Euros. The price seems just OK (or even a bit high). What do you think?

PS. Fyi, these are featuring the so called “extra protection surface”. Hmmm.

Hi,

This is a rather normal price in german shops like Media Markt here. Recently, I got the TY variant there :slight_smile:

Concerning AZO/non AZO: If you can get some of the AZO discs, they are mostly Made in India. If I compare the scanning results, these are not better than the CMC discs. What kind of discs is more long time stable, that will be proven in future. I haven’t lost many discs, those that went bad, were mostly Ritek, Ricoh and something else - all were bought in supermarkets. Go figure :wink:

Michael

What kind of discs is more long time stable, that will be proven in future

Yep, very true.

mostly Ritek, Ricoh and something else - all were bought in supermarkets. Go figure

Agreed as well. I avoid buying from super markets, I guess my instict prompts me not to.

I 've also noticed that my TDK’s are exactly the same type, CMC Magnetics, MID 97m26s66f. Kinda weird, since I bought the Verbatims, to shift brands! It seems like cmc is after me. Is there a way to know, BEFORE buying, which is the manufacturer? I guess not. :a

Look carefully at the cakebox. There are a few special cakebox traits for cakeboxes from different factories and companies. You can find a few cakebox photos here.
Also, the country of origin (China or Taiwan can be almost everything, Malaysia = Daxon, India = Moser Baer, Japan = Taiyo Yuden) can be a telltale. :wink:

Buying from supermarkets is good! You can find rare media for low prices there. And even Verbatim is cheaper than in lots of electronics retailers :slight_smile:

Very useful cake gallery. Mine is like the one in the second pic (the new style) but with a tall lip.
Thanks for all the tips and kind answers. Let’s hope I will eventually settle down to a good brand, concerning CD-Rs. Because as for DVD+R’s go, I 've always prefered “That’s” Media, manufactured by Taiyo Yuden and imported by Discimpex here, in Greece. Dunno about their CD-R’s (“That’s”, as well) since I haven’t ever tried them.

Some spindles still say DatalifePlus on them. Those are Super Azo. Also, if it says super Azo… it’s… super azo lol.

Lifetime warranty should mean it’s also super azo. They don’t give lifetime warranty on CMC discs :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s CD-R from Taiyo Yuden is excellent, and one of the best (if not the best) CD media available.
It should be better than CMC :iagree: In fact TY’s CD media is better than their DVD media, IMO.

Get the Ceramic Coat ones for extra protection-like look and feel.

Thank you kg, I’m ordering a 50piece spindle of them tomorrow morning. :slight_smile:

Get the Ceramic Coat ones for extra protection-like look and feel.

Yep, that goes without saying. All “That’s” DVD+R’s batches I’ve bought are with the ceramic coat.

Well, there are also printable and color-surface That’s DVDs. :bigsmile:
While a tough ceramic surface may not make a difference with DVDs due to their sandwich structure, it does make a difference with CDs. :slight_smile:

While a tough ceramic surface may not make a difference with DVDs due to their sandwich structure, it does make a difference with CDs.

Now this is a useful knowledge, thanks a lot for the info.

I’ve always went for the ceramic coated " That’s"DVD+R’s mainly because of their pearl-white surface (I like it A LOT) and also because of their price. Disc Impex sells them for 24 cents each. I think that you can’t beat the price for what they’re offering!
Something else I like about the ceramic coated media is that they feel (and must be) heavier in you hands. Solid stuff.