Verbatim brings 100 GB Blu-ray discs to Europe

vbimport

Verbatim brings 100 GB Blu-ray discs to Europe.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/10/pqUVQT.jpg[/newsimage]Verbatim has announced that its  BDXL discs will now also be available in Europe.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/verbatim-brings-100-gb-blu-ray-discs-to-europe-64406/](http://www.myce.com/news/verbatim-brings-100-gb-blu-ray-discs-to-europe-64406/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

€ 45? That’s just messed up.

€ 45 converts to $57.78 CAD. So for the price of 3 of these discs I can buy a 3TB USB3 external drive. I just don’t see the point. Backups? Wouldn’t HDD be cheaper and faster? Honestly, who’s going to buy them?

Oh, the humanity.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2659996]€ 45? That’s just messed up.

€ 45 converts to $57.78 CAD. So for the price of 3 of these discs I can buy a 3TB USB3 external drive. I just don’t see the point. Backups? Wouldn’t HDD be cheaper and faster? Honestly, who’s going to buy them?

Oh, the humanity.[/QUOTE]

Your math needs a bit of an adjustment. You forgot to include the $200.00 - $250.00 CDN for the Burner and the fact that these disks can only be read by these burners. So for the $400.00+ (can’t forget the “Grab and Steal Tax”) you could buy two 3TB drives and have a bit left over to spend at Tim Horton’s.

BDXL’s been available for quite a while now… price remains a big factor in it’s mass market appeal. The price of a BDXL disk rivals that of some SSD flash drives… that’s not going to the technology in the hands of people who want to buy it, but won’t due to the high pricetag.

IMO, warehousing data on hard drives in staggered production cycles of 2 - 3 years is a much better option at current and potentially future pricepoints. Some may disagree… I like optical media too, but I don’t find the need to backup “everything” as I used to-- that’s what you get when software and media isn’t as innovative as it used to be… plus you have the internet cloud as your source for media as well so personal backup & storage aren’t as necessary, just as long as the cloud is backing up, warehousing & sharing

:wink:

Even for those that would argue that it’s better to store data spread across multiple discs instead of a single large HDD, small external HDDs are also available for a similar price.

For example, on Amazon UK, a basic 320GB 2.5" external HDD is priced at £37 (~€45), roughly the same price as this BDXL. So just pick up a couple of these external HDDs instead. :wink: A couple of advantages include being rewritable, not affected by scratches/fingerprints, no need for burning software and of course not requiring a pricey BDXL-compatible drive to write or read.

This year 128gb usb flash drives are $75 and up… expect that price to drop by about half next year… on some once in a blue moon sales you’ll see SSD drives of similar capacity for $60…

Companies being anti-competitive and price colluding is getting quite annoying where it might be EXPECTTED in gasoline pricing… in technology it’s just waiting for a price fixing investigation by government to get started. This is not the 1970s… companies aren’t allowed to sit on technology innovation for 5+ years with super high prices.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2660330]This year 128gb usb flash drives are $75 and up… expect that price to drop by about half next year… on some once in a blue moon sales you’ll see SSD drives of similar capacity for $60…

Companies being anti-competitive and price colluding is getting quite annoying where it might be EXPECTTED in gasoline pricing… in technology it’s just waiting for a price fixing investigation by government to get started. This is not the 1970s… companies aren’t allowed to sit on technology innovation for 5+ years with super high prices.[/QUOTE]

The question is whether its really collusion when Toshiba gave up, leaving the only other contender, Sony, left.

My fervent hope is that somebody will come up with something out of left field. Some type of fantastic and unexpected thing like those memory crystals used in Superman, that will knock Sony out.

History says all new optical media debuts at a high price point and then falls dramatically over time. Right now, you can get the BD-R dual layer 50GB discs for around $3.50 each if you’re willing to import from Japan. These 100GB discs will come down to below $10 soon enough. Mechanical storage will never fall to these kinds of prices at the same capacity.

Yes, the BD-R and BD-R DL prices have come down to levels where they are very cost effective as insurance against HDD failures. But I really wonder if the high manufacturing costs of BDXL will keep them from ever enjoying the same kind of $/GB costs we now have with 25/50 GB discs.

I’m with Deans’ thoughts.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2660434]Yes, the BD-R and BD-R DL prices have come down to levels where they are very cost effective as insurance against HDD failures. But I really wonder if the high manufacturing costs of BDXL will keep them from ever enjoying the same kind of $/GB costs we now have with 25/50 GB discs.[/QUOTE]

Verbatim and the other manufacturers would not have a high long term price in mind for these discs. If they didn’t think they could eventually get them down below the $5.00 price per disc then they wouldn’t bother investing in them. They know the mass market appeal and the profits are made with low price discs.

I remember similar pessimism being shown by people when Verbatim released the double layer DVD+R discs. People were saying the high manufacturing cost would prevent them from ever being sold at a decent price point. These discs have become relatively cheap and been a big success for a number of manufacturers who sell them.

[QUOTE=olddancer;2660187]Your math needs a bit of an adjustment. You forgot to include the $200.00 - $250.00 CDN for the Burner and the fact that these disks can only be read by these burners. So for the $400.00+ (can’t forget the “Grab and Steal Tax”) you could buy two 3TB drives and have a bit left over to spend at Tim Horton’s.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. Thanks, Olddancer. :slight_smile:

I wonder about the long term readability of a quad layer disc. Doesn’t do you much good to back up several hundred gigs of data, and find out the discs aren’t readable 4-5 years down the road.

Count me in also for the 3 layer discs. :wink: