Verbatim BD-R LTH degradation!

vbimport

Here are the scans of one of my Verbatim 6x LTH BD-Rs (VERBATIMu), burned on January 25th, 2012 @ 4x using a Pioneer BDR-206D (1.06).
Pic #1 scan May 13th, 2013 (ca. 15.5 months old), pic #2 scan today (March 30th, 2014 - ca. 26 months old).
Seems the quality gets a bit worse in the outer area of the disc, still readable without any problems or slowdown though.

[QUOTE=czary2mary1;2712033]Verbatim BD-R LTH :disagree: :disagree: :disagree: :disagree::disagree:
Burn& scan 1.04.2013

scan 5.12.2013
[/QUOTE]

How was the disc stored ?

In a Jewel case , or in a cd-sleeve / disc wallet or similar ?

[QUOTE=xB^;2724574]How was the disc stored ?

In a Jewel case , or in a cd-sleeve / disc wallet or similar ?[/QUOTE]

Packaging BOX course of constant room temperature ~ 18-22C, humidity 30 ~ ~ 40% to that in the dark room …

[QUOTE=Oinker;2724036]Here are the scans of one of my Verbatim 6x LTH BD-Rs (VERBATIMu), burned on January 25th, 2012 @ 4x using a Pioneer BDR-206D (1.06).
Pic #1 scan May 13th, 2013 (ca. 15.5 months old), pic #2 scan today (March 30th, 2014 - ca. 26 months old).
Seems the quality gets a bit worse in the outer area of the disc, still readable without any problems or slowdown though.[/QUOTE]
Yet another scan of this disc, 7.5 months after the last one, now almost 3 years after burn, looks still pretty ok I think:

Thanks for providing valuable info, Oinker. :slight_smile:

My pleasure. :wink:

Todays scan, after the discs 3 year anniversary - still pretty ok:

From this post appears the one use doesn’t have a degradation
noticeable, another yes, then is not very clear how this support works in the time.

Is there someone that can do another test comparison for this type of disc ?

Well, the bad results mentioned in this thread are VERBATIMv discs, i.e. 4x speed LTH BD-Rs, I had the rather good results with VERBATIMu discs, i.e. 6x speed LTH BD-Rs.
But generally the recommendation is don’t use LTH BD-Rs for important data, i.e. to archive data - it is that simple. Unfortunately that leaves you with just two options, after Sony ended its own BD-R production and uses Ritek crap media now:
Panasonic or M-Disc BD-Rs - both rather expensive, and M-Disc BD-Rs require M-Disc compatible writers.

[QUOTE=Oinker;2724036]Here are the scans of one of my Verbatim 6x LTH BD-Rs (VERBATIMu), burned on January 25th, 2012 @ 4x using a Pioneer BDR-206D (1.06).
Seems the quality gets a bit worse in the outer area of the disc, still readable without any problems or slowdown though.[/QUOTE]
Ca. 50 months old now, looks like the outer area of the disc doesn’t like aging that much. The quality is still within the “good” to “ok” range.

[QUOTE=Oinker;2769988]Ca. 50 months old now, looks like the outer area of the disc doesn’t like aging that much. The quality is still within the “good” to “ok” range.[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much for posting an update. We don’t see many long-term studies like this. :clap::flower:

That disc looks like it is holding up well - the shape of the graph is very similar (the odd peak may be due to dust and not significant). The difference in numbers is as likely to be due to the different scanning drives as the aging of the disc.

Do you still have your Samsung SH-B083L drive? If so, would it be possible to post a scan using that drive?

The Plextor (Lite-On) is an excellent scanner for BD-R, but it would be preferable to have a consistent dataset.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2769994]Thank you very much for posting an update. We don’t see many long-term studies like this. :clap::flower:

That disc looks like it is holding up well - the shape of the graph is very similar (the odd peak may be due to dust and not significant). The difference in numbers is as likely to be due to the different scanning drives as the aging of the disc.

Do you still have your Samsung SH-B083L drive? If so, would it be possible to post a scan using that drive?

The Plextor (Lite-On) is an excellent scanner for BD-R, but it would be preferable to have a consistent dataset.[/QUOTE]
I still have the Samsung drive, unfortunately it doesn’t recognize BD-R media anymore, well almost. The worst kind I have, Philips it does recognize after some attempts. But it doesn’t like LTH and good HTL media.

[QUOTE=Oinker;2770011]I still have the Samsung drive, unfortunately it doesn’t recognize BD-R media anymore, well almost. The worst kind I have, Philips it does recognize after some attempts. But it doesn’t like LTH and good HTL media.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a failing OPU. :frowning:

It’s baffling when they start rejecting the good discs, but are quite happy with the crap stuff. In theory the LTH discs should be easier to read due to their higher reflectivity. :confused:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2770034]Sounds like a failing OPU. :frowning:

It’s baffling when they start rejecting the good discs, but are quite happy with the crap stuff. In theory the LTH discs should be easier to read due to their higher reflectivity. :confused:[/QUOTE]
Got the Samsung drive to recognize the disc, scan looks a bit different compared to the LiteOn@Plextor scan, but overall errors are basically the same.

> 4.5 years old now, seems the outer disc area doesn’t like aging that much. I’ve to do another scan with the LiteOn@Plextor drive though, 'cause I don’t trust the Samsung drive anymore as it seems to be dying.

Seems the Samsung drive is not as bad as I thought, there has been some dirt I didn’t see before the test above, here is the new one - looks like the discs is still aging pretty well.

Damn, the screenshot is damaged again, I’ll get another one, d’oh!

So the LiteOn@Plextor scan first due to the damaged screenshot:

New, fixed/undamaged screenshot of the cleaned disc, doesn’t look as bad on the outer disc area as before.

Todays scan of the same disc, still pretty good:

And again months later, still good:

Pioneer BDR-208 (S08XLT), 208D, 208M (208E/U/J/XJ, 2208), BDR-S08 (S08J/XLB)

6 years old now, still ok: