Verbatim BD-R LTH degradation!

vbimport

Hi all. This is a sad story… :sad:
For my backups I 'm using Verbatim LTH BD-R single layer
So far I have experienced this:
burning is ok, playback is ok, but after some months (about 5-6 months) disk is not playable anymore.

To check my BD-R I’ve tried copying them to hard disk. It tooks a bit but apparently I succesfully copied the content of the BD (BDMV and Certificate dirs) to hard disk simply with a copy and paste.
After that I executed clownBD on the BDMV folder on the hard disk and…eac3to it’s complaining about source files damaged!!
The source file seems to be damaged (sync byte missing). <WARNING>
The source file seems to be damaged (discontinuity). <WARNING>

So just copying from BD to hard disk without any error message is not enough to be sure BD content is good???

Also… I have verified the BD with imgburn and it didn’t report any damaged sector… it took a lot of time to complete and speed degraded a lot for the last 10% (start at 2.48, finish at 0.3) but no errors reported…
Same happened using nero scandisk. read speed degraded but it didn’t report any damage/defect.

So now I’m stuck… What am I missing?

P.s: I’m very disappointed about this degradation on verbatim LTH. What do you think about? And what do you advice? I’m thinking about conserving backups on hard disk and burn cheap mediarange when children or friends want to watch movies.
Thanks all for your suggestions/explanations

Since these are backups and not encrypted, did you try to open the disk with ClownBD directly? Do you get the same error?

Have you tried making an ISO of the disk using ImgBurn? Once it is complete and on the hard drive, mount it in Slysoft’s VirtualClone Drive and see if it plays back correctly. Or once mounted, see if ClownBD has the same complaints.

I use Verbatim BD-R disks, but I don’t use the LTH variety. I’ve had no failures thus far. For example: http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/verbatim-96769-blu-ray-bd-r-25gb-4x-branded-media-10-pack?brand=VERBATIM&max=15&offset=0

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2568439]Since these are backups and not encrypted, did you try to open the disk with ClownBD directly? Do you get the same error?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, same error.
It seems degradation bring corrupted frames… In this case the only way to be sure BD-R is good is to try demuxing it using eac3to… If this is true than it’s really a pain in the ass…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2568439]
Have you tried making an ISO of the disk using ImgBurn? Once it is complete and on the hard drive, mount it in Slysoft’s VirtualClone Drive and see if it plays back correctly. Or once mounted, see if ClownBD has the same complaints.
[/QUOTE]

I will try that, but like I said I did a verify using imgburn and read speed at some point decreased to 0.3Mbit/s.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2568439]
I use Verbatim BD-R disks, but I don’t use the LTH variety. I’ve had no failures thus far. [/QUOTE]

I’m in Europe and LTH cost about half than not LTH…
Have to say the degradation appear after some months. And this is really sad…

If you are getting the same error straight from the disk, making an ISO won’t help. You’ve got some deterioration on the disk itself, and you didn’t cause any problems in the transfer. That’s the only thing I was trying to determine.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2568443]If you are getting the same error straight from the disk, making an ISO won’t help. You’ve got some deterioration on the disk itself, and you didn’t cause any problems in the transfer. That’s the only thing I was trying to determine.[/QUOTE]

What I cannot understand is why imgburn verify and nero scandisk don’t report any error and file transfer to hard disk completes. Still when eac3to process the files blame about damaged source.

Verify is no fool proof status for content erors.

My oldest Verbatim LTH is now about 8 months old. I only burn them as data backup, and I don’t notice any data corruption, nor slowdowns.

Probably it’s the impression being put on the coating layer by my disc wallet. The coating tends to be slightly soft on so anything that’s pressed against them will eventually leave a mark… Damn :a

Verbatim BD-R LTH :disagree: :disagree: :disagree: :disagree::disagree:
Burn& scan 1.04.2013

scan 5.12.2013

Verbatim BD-R LTH
Burn& scan 1.04.2013

scan 5.12.2013

Verbatim BD-R LTH
Burn& scan 1.04.2013

scan 5.12.2013

Verbatim BD-R LTH
Burn& scan 13.04.2013

scan 5.12.2013

Verbatim BD-R LTH
Burn& scan 2.05.2013

scan 5.12.2013

This is not good at all.
I can’t scan mine, but I will try copy test.
I think mine oldest are from May 2010.

Mine oldest, May 2010.
Can’t scan, but it have perfect TRT.

Lth bdr are more fragile don’t us it

I only use HTL bd-r disc and never have any problem with my movie stored on the disc since 2008

I have found out that storing bluray discs in a way that something is in contact with the recordable layer does damage the disc over time some more so than others.

i had my bluray movies stored in a disc wallet case much to my horror the surface of the discs had a pitting effect on them this was on my Falcon pro and Panasonic BD-R discs. They are still readable but there scans are terrible compared to what they used to be when i first burnt them.

The discs i have stored in spindles or cases without anything touching the layer scan as well as they did the first time i burnt them.

LTH verbs i have have been going very well I have scans of a particular disc i burnt early 2013 that i will post soon once i have run another scan showing how LTH discs are not as bad as people say.

Attached are three scans one when the disc was burnt back in april and then one in July and one i just completed today.

[QUOTE=chilledout;2715600]LTH verbs i have have been going very well I have scans of a particular disc i burnt early 2013 that i will post soon once i have run another scan showing how LTH discs are not as bad as people say.[/QUOTE]

Obviously there is a study alone on the web that labels this LTH media being poor quality. There are further studies and tests required to come to this sort of conclusion. And even if that study is right, LTH quality might improve with further research development. We here, need to post our scans and their long-term effeciency. I’ll start with what media I obtained, as I just entered the BD-R burning world with a new Pioneer 208 drive. The scan will have to wait until my LiteOn arrives.