Verbatim BD-R 2x media for $2.50 each

vbimport

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=47809&vpn=97090&manufacture=VERBATIM&promoid=1084
What do you guys think? It seems like a very good price… The only limitation is that it is a 2x media. Would it be possible to burn at 4x without compromising the burn quality? Is this media decent quality?

That is LTH media, which uses organic dye instead of inorganic seen in most BD blank disks. You’ll have to check to see if your burner is compatible with this type of media. Many of the earlier BD burners cannot use it.

The other thing to be aware of, if you are using these for backing up video, is that not all Blu ray players can handle this type of disk. There have been a few reports of them failing to playback or even be recognized by the player.

LTH discs, I would pass

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2487738]http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=47809&vpn=97090&manufacture=VERBATIM&promoid=1084
What do you guys think? It seems like a very good price… The only limitation is that it is a 2x media. Would it be possible to burn at 4x without compromising the burn quality? Is this media decent quality?[/QUOTE]

Those are the LTH discs, as other people have told you. They are NOT compatible with many burners and standalone Blu-Ray players except for those which specifically support LTH media. What’s more, the reseller listed above in your link will not accept returns or exchanges on LTH BD-R media that simply turns out to be incompatible with your burner or standalone player (they will only exchange for the exact same product). In other words, they’ll end up in the trash unless you manage to find firmware updates for your burner and standalone player which support LTH media or spend even more money on a newer BD burner and/or a new standalone player.

If you want a full BD-R that’s compatible with most burners and standalone players, you’ll have to spend twice as much (at the vendor listed above, it would cost you $5.00 CAD per disc). And that’s for the 4x BD-R discs which can be burnt at 6x or 8x in some burners.

I am planning to buy Blu-ray burner, did all newer models have support for LTH discs? I don’t need a compatibility for standalones because I don’t own any of them yet (my guess they all will support LTH in the future). LTH have good price comparing to DVD+R DL, so I am saving money for my first Blu-ray burner. It will probably be LG, I will see which model will be available on time of buying.

I have a VERY limited number of LTH discs so i am sorry I cannot try it out on video, would be interesting to see if they play on my PS3 though.

I know they burn and read just fine being burned on a Pioneer BDR-205, here is a scan…

Also 2601 has a LTH burn from the LG BH10NS/LS30 HERE

So either of these drives should work for you.

It’s nice to learn something new. Never had knowledge about LTH media. I bought two Verbatim blanks (Microcenter clearance) awhile ago. Apparently, the bwu-100a didn’t have the capability of handling those type of discs w/o a firmware upgrade. Thus it was entirely a fluke that the drive was able to burn those.

^Verbatim sells both types, the regular inorganic dye BD-R disks and the LTH disks. Do yours have the LTH designation on them somewhere?

Thanks everyone for the info about the LTH media. I currently do not own a Blu-ray burner, but I’m thinking about buying one in the future if the price of the media and the burner gets reasonable.

I am really old school and the common knowledge with CD and DVD media is that Verbatim media are very high quality. I was not aware of LTH media and the compatibility issues…

Would this media be much better in terms of compatibility? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/592757-REG/Verbatim_96769_BD_R_Blu_ray_Recordable_Disc.html

One more question… If I only plan on using LTH media as a means to backup my computer data, are they considered to be reliable in terms of long-term storage? Will the future burners/readers be able to read this media or is this LTH format dying out?

Those Verbatim disks in your last post are fine.

No one really knows the answer to your question on longevity. LTH media is too new, even though it uses dye technology from dvds. The only LTH media I’ve seen is made by Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, but they are major players, so I doubt it is going away anytime soon.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2488199]^Verbatim sells both types, the regular inorganic dye BD-R disks and the LTH disks. Do yours have the LTH designation on them somewhere?[/QUOTE]

I had updated the firmware to 1.0F, so either type would have worked. The upgrade was done not for LTH, though it’s listed as an improvement, but for “Writing performance and reliability improvements,” per Sony website.

The LTH designation would probably be obvious, so the discs I bought likely weren’t. And from another post in this thread, it seems as if this technology is rather new. The discs I bought were manufactured in 2006.

Edit:

In fact, there’s no way the discs are LTH. The latest firmware only allows the “[B]reading[/B] of LTH BD Media.”