Verbatim AZO = CMC Magnetics?

vbimport

I grabbed a 10 pack of Verbatim DigitalMovie 8x DVD-R from an Office Depot recently, when I popped the disc into a burner the MID read CMC MAG AE1! I know technically these discs do use an azo-based dye, but up until now the “AZO” logo on Verbatim media has always indicated MCC media :a

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2785956]I grabbed a 10 pack of Verbatim DigitalMovie 8x DVD-R from an Office Depot recently, when I popped the disc into a burner the MID read CMC MAG AE1! I know [B][I]technically[/I][/B] these discs do use an azo-based dye, but up until now the “AZO” logo on Verbatim media has always indicated MCC media :a[/QUOTE]
Not always, in the old days AZO discs could be Taiyo Yuden instead of MCC. But this is very bad news.

I wonder if it may be a bit of private enterprise (or maybe a genuine error) on CMC Magnetics’ part, rather than a decision by Verbatim. May be worth e-mailing Verbatim. Even if you don’t get a meaningful reply, it at least lets them know that you know.

Can you decipher the date from the hub code?

Interesting. I hope this is limited to these 8x DVD-R’s and not going to “trickle-down” to the AZO 16x line-up. I also wonder what the mfg date is, clearly its post-2007.