Verbatim AZO CD-R vs. Verbatim extra protection CD-R

Dear forum members,

I just figured out that Verbatim AZO disks work ace with my equipment (before I used TEVION which was crap).

Now I saw an irresistible offer for Verbatim Extra Protection (no mention of AZO on the box) at a local dealer. Can I go for those ? Are they worse than the one marked AZO ? I am looking for CD-R that perform well in a picky CD player.

Thanks in advance

Montfinal

[QUOTE=Montfinal;2565484]Dear forum members,

I just figured out that Verbatim AZO disks work ace with my equipment (before I used TEVION which was crap).

Now I saw an irresistible offer for Verbatim Extra Protection (no mention of AZO on the box) at a local dealer. Can I go for those ? Are they worse than the one marked AZO ? I am looking for CD-R that perform well in a picky CD player.

Thanks in advance

Montfinal[/QUOTE]

No - the AZO ones are made with MKM’s dye, stampers and manufacturing specifications. The “Extra Protection” Verbatims are just rebranded CMC or MBI discs.

Sh…, that was fast, thanks.
So are there other brands using the same MKM dye, stampers and manufacturing specifications ?

Thanks

Montfinal

[QUOTE=Montfinal;2565487]Sh…, that was fast, thanks.
So are there other brands using the same MKM dye, stampers and manufacturing specifications ?

Thanks

Montfinal[/QUOTE]

No - only AZO, Crystal AZO or MediDisc Verbatims.
Did you try Taiyo Yuden’s CD-Rs? They are known for working on picky CD players too.

I heard about that. Few questions though:

[ul]
[li]Can I buy any of them ? I heard they have low cost products that are not good either.[/li][li]Which brands contain Taiyo Yuden ?[/li][/ul]
Thanks

Montfinal

[QUOTE=Montfinal;2565497]
[li]Which brands contain Taiyo Yuden ?
[/li][/LIST]
[/QUOTE]
JVC (most easily available ones), That’s, Verbatim Pastel (rare and vanishing), Maxell Colour (rare and vanishing), EMTEC/BASF Ceram Guard (ultra rare, not produced since 2003/2004).

[QUOTE=Montfinal;2565497]

[LIST]
[li]Can I buy any of them ? I heard they have low cost products that are not good either.
[/li][/QUOTE]
While the “new” JVC branded TY CD-Rs are not as stellar as the older TYs, you should have no problems with them.

[QUOTE=pepst;2565486]No - the AZO ones are made with MKM’s dye, stampers and manufacturing specifications. The “Extra Protection” Verbatims are just rebranded CMC or MBI discs.[/QUOTE]Or TY. :smiley: (Yes, I do have such a spindle here - and the later Pastels are nothing else than colored EP by TY).
CMC stuff should work nicely with his picky CD player. Perhaps even better than the (mostly Indian made) Verbatim AZOs. BTDT. :slight_smile:

So, for feeding a picky CD player, Verbatim Extra Protection are indeed worth trying - the country of Origin should be China or Japan. I would not go for the Indian made discs.

Michael