Verbatim Azo cd-r Made in china

vbimport

What is this? Just got 2 spindles of 50 pieces Verbatim Datalifeplus 52x Azo Cd-r (reorder #43343). These are just garbage.
Been using Azos Made in India that gave good results, and Pastels that are excellent also. Now these two then… Other spindle burns all the way through, but when starting Nero CD-Dvd speed quality scan, it just says that “drive does not support this feature” and Scan disc gives 100% Bad sectors.
The other spindle can do quality scan, with average C1 errors of about 30.0. Are these just this bad piece of crap? Drive used here is Optiarc Ad-7200A that has burned all pastels and MII azos with real good results.

The only acceptable made in China media I ever had were Philips branded Ritek CD-Rs. A lot of fake media still being produced in mainland China and Hong Kong, that’s why I avoid it in general.

Those should be genuine. CMC has a plant in China where they make CDs, and of course CMC makes CDs for Verbatim, but I’m not sure about the current quality of the stuff coming from China plant.

What’s the ATIP, and are there any codes around the hub?

Where did you purchase them?

I have some Verbatim DataLifePlus Super AZO Crystal from a couple of years back which were Made in China, and they were excellent - comparable to Taiyo Yuden.

Then for a while the Verbatim DataLifePlus Super AZO Crystal I got were Made in India by Moser Baer and were not quite as good.

This week I saw that the local shop were selling Verbatim AZO CD-R (new packaging) Made in China again.

So I’m assuming those are legit Verbatim CD-R but I haven’t tested the quality of these new ones myself.

Ok, got these now working… seems like these just need some speed to burn with. More speed = better burn. Few coasters but about 10 now done with good quality. Coasters came from the top of the spindle ones. 48x I get excellent results, comparable to TY. Slower I go the more C1 I get. But is 48x any good for audio? used to burn TY with 16x-24x. These MIC verbies seem to like minimum 32x to get good results. Wierd… but hey, they work.

Edit. Ok, the quality seems to vary a bit, sometimes I get really excellent burn, and sometimes just mediocre. Well, anyway they seem to work now.

Now Verbatim has switched Azo CD-R production back to China, I’m surprised for real. :eek:
Azo CD-R has been constantly Indian for the, say, last two or three years now…

You have to looky at the jitter values… they can also tell ya whether speedy burns are good or not…

[quote=jurmula;2142509]
Edit. Ok, the quality seems to vary a bit, sometimes I get really excellent burn, and sometimes just mediocre. Well, anyway they seem to work now.[/quote]

Consistency is what differs really good media from ok / mediocre media.

I can not see jitter with my drive/nero cd-dvd-speed. Only C1/C2 errors. But they seem to get in average of 1.10-2.50 C1 now when burning with 32x. When burned with 16x-24x it gets about 2.0-10.0 average C1. Two discs got avrg about 30.0!!

Maybe it has something to do with my drives capabilities with this specific media. 48x will do better than 32x though, but I’m little too sceptic to burn audio with that kind of speeds. In fact 32x is absolute max I think for audio cd.

I will try Pastels with 32x also when I get them, should get them soon. Just for try because I haven’t burned them with 32x never.

But these results with C1 errors at 32x are really comparable with Pastels at 16x-24x. Little bit worse but not much.

I’ve been using various types of Verbatim media since the early 80’s. As far as I’m concerned, Verbatim “jumped the shark” within the last year or so. They used to be put out fantastic product, at a premium.

Now they are just a familiar name attached to often mediocre quality products. As for DVD-R/DVD+R, it looks like it went all down-hill since the packaging of the 100 disc spindles changed to the purple/blue and orange/blue plastic sleeves. Even before that it had become hit-or-miss, but it was all over when they moved production to India.

So long Verbatim, thank you for the good times. It was nice knowing you. :sad:

[QUOTE=DW1650;2145095]I’ve been using various types of Verbatim media since the early 80’s. As far as I’m concerned, Verbatim “jumped the shark” within the last year or so. They used to be put out fantastic product, at a premium.

Now they are just a familiar name attached to often mediocre quality products. As for DVD-R/DVD+R, it looks like it went all down-hill since the packaging of the 100 disc spindles changed to the purple/blue and orange/blue plastic sleeves. Even before that it had become hit-or-miss, but it was all over when they moved production to India.

So long Verbatim, thank you for the good times. It was nice knowing you. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Please, stop the hyperbole. :rolleyes:

The main problem with recent batches of Verbatim single-layer media can all be traced to the decline of Prodisc and it’s financial troubles. CMC manufactured Verbs are still great, and the Europeans have already proven that MBI manufactured Verbs are good.

On the dual-layer side, MII manufactured Verbs have actually gotten better, although they are still not on the level of the MIS disks. Verbatim already addressed this issue by insuring that there were still plenty of MIS disks in the market stream. You don’t have to buy MII DL Verbs if you don’t want to. Problem solved.

Lastly, in regards to the CD-Rs, the classic AZO and Super AZO media has been gone from retail shelves for so long, that the discussion is moot. People should have moved on to using nothing but Taiyo Yuden for archival purposes long ago. CMC and Ritek are still good, and acceptable for everyday and non-critical use. Why anyone is still rambling about this is beyond me.

[quote=negritude;2145107]The main problem with recent batches of Verbatim single-layer media can all be traced to the decline of Prodisc and it’s financial troubles. CMC manufactured Verbs are still great, and the Europeans have already proven that MBI manufactured Verbs are good.[/quote] I’ve never had any Prodisc manufactured MCC 004, but I’ve had some batches of CMC manufactured MCC004 that were mediocre, some poor and some bad (and of course many that were good).

Lastly, in regards to the CD-Rs, the classic AZO and Super AZO media has been gone from retail shelves for so long, that the discussion is moot.
Verbatim (Super) AZO CD-R media have been available in retail here (Denmark) for a long time and is still available in retail with the new packaging.

Verbatim Super Azo 52x MII is still available retail in the US, but I’ve only seen it at Micro Center.

Ok, two 50 pcs spindles done. 3 coasters. about 20 pieces had so high C1 error rates I threw them to garbage. That’s that. Will stay away from this Made In China media. India was a LOT better. And still haven’t got those Pastels yet, they’ve done great so far in my experience. Some new shipment coming Pastels from Verbatim, so I really hope that they haven’t gone MIC… If they have I will return them and say just bye bye Verbatim.

Oddly enough, the earlier Made in China Verbatim Super AZO CD-Rs I got were better than the later Made in India ones.

I haven’t heard of Verbatim Pastel CD-R being anything other than Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden.

Verb AZO made in Singapore has worked very well for me, everytime. I do not understand the difference between MIS, MIT an aso on.

Best Buy here in Florida has the Verb AZO made in singapore. I don’t see on the package if they are MIT or MIS, if it makes any diff. I don’t know what they are anyhow!

Jurmula, if you say Bye-Bye to Verb, what will you use for DVD9+r DL?

This thread is about Verbatim AZO CD-R media, not DVD Dual/Double Layer media.

There are other threads about Verbatim DVD DL media.

Could we please get back on topic?

Yep, back for azo CD-R media. Has nothing to do with DVD+R… Think I notice some sort of harsh sound on some disks, maybe it is that jitter thing, don’t know. Maybe I did burn them a bit too fast:doh: Or maybe it is just my imagination.:rolleyes:

Um, is the Optiarc even a useful CD-R scanner?

From what I have read and seen here, it’s a liteon CDRW drive or BenQ DVD drive for scanning CD-R. I personally use a BenQ. BenQ reports jitter and can show an advanced page of all the different levels of errors. If you don’t know, there’s much more to it than just C1 and C2… even with a BenQ drive that can report all the different levels and jitter, it’s still missing a few things that only a professional analyzer can show.

Why are you throwing discs out and whatnot after a few pointless scans on a pointless scanner that aren’t even remotely scientific?