Verbatim AZO and no AZO in package

Hello, I have seen at a local store Verbatim discs, but the AZO label is not in the package. Are they true Verbatims or they are fakes?

We need more information than that.

CD-R media or DVD+/-R media?

How did you determine that there is no AZO in the package? Did you check the media code / ATIP?

Please be more specific.

I haven’t buy the disc, so I can not tell the MID.

Here are the pictures, one from the local store and one from the Newegg store. Notice the AZO logo missing in the first one.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1673/stcdvbdvd100pk2.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6884/1750700202.jpg

This is the only information I got. Because Verbatim media is hard to get in my country; I want to be sure if they are good or not.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2307934]I haven’t buy the disc, so I can not tell the MID.

Here are the pictures, one from the local store and one from the Newegg store. Notice the AZO logo missing in the first one.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1673/stcdvbdvd100pk2.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6884/1750700202.jpg

This is the only information I got. Because Verbatim media is hard to get in my country; I want to be sure if they are good or not.[/QUOTE]

Guess what? You are in Peru, eh?

Those people living in South American countries like Peru get “shortchanged” when it comes to Verbatim-branded media. In that picture (without the “AZO” designation) linked to in the above post, they are most likely Ritek-made discs (nearly always with RITEKF1 MID codes for DVD-R or RITEK F16 codes for DVD+R) that are branded Verbatim. This is most likely because the “official” South American distributor of Verbatim opted to have their discs supplied by Ritek using that company’s own stamper MID codes rather than getting the MCC-coded media manufactured primarily by CMC (a company which the “official” South American Verbatim distributor apparently has a grudge against).

On the other hand, we North Americans nearly always get MCC-coded AZO DVD media. I personally have never seen Ritek-made Verbatim-branded DVD media here in the U.S. although a few Ritek-made Verbatim-branded CD-Rs occasionally make it into U.S. retailers.

First of all, you should not completely trust stock photos used on websites - they can be generic and don’t necessarily show the actual product that the site is selling.

As [B]RJL65[/B] mentions, Verbatim have been known to market DVD media in South America with non-Mitsubishi technology and media codes such as RiTEK media. This is similar to how Verbatim markets DVD media in Europe that is made by Taiyo Yuden with TY media codes, and similar to how they have marketed “Pearl White” series DVD media made by CMC and RiTEK with CMC/RiTEK media codes.

I don’t know specifically if those are RITEKF1, but that seems like a good guess.

There’s always the possibility that someone is selling counterfeit products, but I think the other explanation is far more likely.

Whatever the media is, if it doesn’t say “AZO” on the label then that means for sure that it isn’t made with Mitsubishi technology, and should be avoided, if possible. The only exception to that would be the media available in Europe, which says “Made in Japan” on the label, and is therefore, Taiyo Yuden.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2308048]Guess what? You are in Peru, eh?
[/QUOTE]

Yes I am.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2308048]
…they are most likely Ritek-made discs (nearly always with RITEKF1 MID codes for DVD-R or RITEK F16 codes for DVD+R) that are branded Verbatim. This is most likely because the “official” South American distributor of Verbatim opted to have their discs supplied by Ritek using that company’s own stamper MID codes rather than getting the MCC-coded media manufactured primarily by CMC (a company which the “official” South American Verbatim distributor apparently has a grudge against).
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2308107]
As [B]RJL65[/B] mentions, Verbatim have been known to market DVD media in South America with non-Mitsubishi technology and media codes such as RiTEK media.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=negritude;2308123]Whatever the media is, if it doesn’t say “AZO” on the label then that means for sure that it isn’t made with Mitsubishi technology, and should be avoided, if possible.[/QUOTE]

So they are likely to be RITEKF1 discs; that would be the same if I buy Memorex, right? Maybe that’s the reason why I can not find Verbatim branded discs, because they are not “true” Verbatims?

[QUOTE=negritude;2308123]Whatever the media is, if it doesn’t say “AZO” on the label then that means for sure that it isn’t made with Mitsubishi technology, and should be avoided, if possible. The only exception to that would be the media available in Europe, which says “Made in Japan” on the label, and is therefore, Taiyo Yuden.[/QUOTE]

Yes that’s true we’ve got in european a lot of Verbatim tha have all AZO protection with covers. The DVD+R DL the same too with AZO label on it. Look here is the proofff.

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

We’ve got last two week in Eurpean in the Netherlands, Germany the sell JVC DVD+R disc’s the are all from Taiyo Yuden. Cd-R are all in the price tooo. Maybe nobody did no, I have add some pics.

Verbatim

JVC JVC Premium-Grade CD-R 700 MB / 80 Min. 52x / 100-pack cakebox (Taiyo Yuden)

[QUOTE=angela20;2308312]
JVC JVC Premium-Grade CD-R 700 MB / 80 Min. 52x / 100-pack cakebox (Taiyo Yuden)[/QUOTE]This thread is about Verbatim branded media :stuck_out_tongue:

If you had mentioned Verbatim Pastel CD-R (now very rare)…

Michael

OW sorry’ about the didn’t I was thinking someone was talking about Taiyo Yuden. But It’s true it’s goes about Verbatim.

Don’t be angry at me, I am new here. I will be look better.

[QUOTE=angela20;2308491]OW sorry’ about[/QUOTE]No problem :slight_smile:

Updating the post, I went and buy two spindles : one DVD+R and the other DVD-R. DVD-Rs had the AZO label on it but the only available model was the “White Inkjet Printable”, the other DVD-Rs that were available don’t have the AZO mark. DVD+Rs don’t have the AZO label on it.

I checked both spindles and the DVD-Rs are “MCC 03RG20” and the DVD+Rs are “RITEK F16 001”, so I guess that the DVD-Rs are legit. :clap:

I have seen in some posts that you said that the Verbatim are made by Prodisc, CMC, etc and how do I know which manufacturer has made the discs that I got? They are made in Taiwan and the center hole of the disc says “MAPA08ND27100851”.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2407935]I checked both spindles and the DVD-Rs are “MCC 03RG20” and the DVD+Rs are “RITEK F16 001”, so I guess that the DVD-Rs are legit. :clap:[/QUOTE]Both are (most probably) legit, but only the DVD-R is using Mitsubishi technology.

The DVD+R are merely sourced from RiTEK with Verbatim branding.

I have seen in some posts that you said that the Verbatim are made by Prodisc, CMC, etc and how do I know which manufacturer has made the discs that I got? They are made in Taiwan and the center hole of the disc says “MAPA08ND27100851”.
MAP… is a serial number used by CMC.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2407938]Both are (most probably) legit, but only the DVD-R is using Mitsubishi technology.

The DVD+R are merely sourced from RiTEK with Verbatim branding.[/QUOTE]

Oh I see. I tried both media and they seem to be good (The DVD-R had a small dot of dust :doh:). Both were burned at 8x with AD-7200S.

Just don’t know which scan is better. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2407938]MAP… is a serial number used by CMC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks DrageMester for the information.

Thanks for putting up the scans. Since both scans are roughly equal to one another (aside from the small clump of dust which created the PIF clump on the DVD-R), these scans merely tell you how great your NEC-chipset Optiarc burner writes to even middling-class media. Had these discs been burnt in another brand of burner, anything can happen.