Verbatim announces gloss printable DVD+/-Rs and CD-Rs

So it looks like this new Verbatim 1-16X DVD media is particularly geared to those who like printable DVDs as for me, meh since I don’t use them but I’ll probably pick up a pack just to play with. :stuck_out_tongue: Courtesy of TGdaily, here’s the link.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/27/verbatim_pritable_media/

$25 for a 20 pack of DVDR? Their 16x inkjet (non-shiny) spools are less than half the cost. Oh the lure of shininess must be strong for that large bump in price. Must… resist… shiny… discs…

Sounds interesting.

For the difference in price on one spindle, I can buy 2 cans of Krylon and seal 5 spindles. And they won’t smudge or fade either. :wink:

If the print quality is anything like TDK’s glossy printables, there is no comparison with normal printables even with a spray coating. Too bad the TDK’s burn quality kinda sucks, plus they do not print well on Epsons. Maybe the Verbatims will do better in both respects.

The secret to geting good looking discs is not in the media, but in your printer settings. True photo-quality prints are possible on any surface, if you take the time to get the settings right.

Sometimes it involves using something other than the “disc” media setting in your driver. Trying photo paper settings or even transparancy settings can yield terrific results. You also need to be adjusting the color and intensity settings, and using high-res images. I find that often the quickest way to better discs is to use Photoshop to adjust the image itself, pushing contrast and color to the max.

But anyway, good results will almost never be obtained by just slapping a disc into the printer and hitting “print”.

If you’re a good painter, using sealant on a disc will yield better results than any “glossy” surface will produce. And for smudge/fade proofing, a sealant is needed on any surface, gloss or otherwise. In fact, some of the gloss surfaces are more prone to smudging and fading than matte surfaces are.

All this takes practice and quite a few wasted discs to master.

After printing over 1200 discs, always using Photoshop optimised labels, many of them custom made in the highest quality, and after testing every possible printer setting, I think I can judge the effect quite well.
No matter how good the result on Verbatim or TY printables, and how much or little spray was used, the TDK photo quality glossy media looked better (apart from the Epson problem I mentioned before; Canon users reported no such problem).
Admittedly, taste comes into it. Not everyone will like glossy labels, and in some cases a matte finish looks better. My point is, you can’t get the same effect with spray on a normal surface.

My point is, you can’t get the same effect with spray on a normal surface.

I disagree, in fact it’s better IMHO. But it all depends on technique. But I’m certain that using the same settings on both disc types will not work out well. Hopefully the new surface will allow higher resolution. Color and contrast are adjustable.