Verbatim 6x+ Question on a Pioneer Drive

vbimport

BD n00b with a media question.

BDR-209DBK drive. Drop in my Verbatim 6x disc and ImgBurn tells me it’s burnable up to 12x speed.

Some research tells me the drives and media are capable of it. Quality-wise should I go that fast or should I lock it down at 6x and burn at what is pretty much CAV?

Since Pioneers can’t do quality scans I can’t do any tests to find out what is best.

If you have the time to wait a few minutes more, 6x (probably CLV, or close to it, in that drive) might be better. Just an educated guess, based off results I’ve seen at 12x+ versus the more middling speeds (6x or 8x).

Just my Opinion, But I never go above 4x, I am not in that big of a hurry and I belive that the quality is better

Marty

I just did a burn and it almost immediately reached 6x and even though it was supposedly limited by ImgBurn it still maxed at 7 point something. Seems like a good sweet spot.

My Taiyo Yuden DVD5 I believe can hit 12x but I’m pretty sure I’ve never gone over 8x. I’ve had discs that I’ve burned BELOW rated speed and having crap quality to show for it but better quality at it’s max speed.

I tend to trust rated speed. I was just curious what results people have seen.

That said, I know it isn’t RELIABLE, but is there some software that will actually allow Pioneer drives to do a quality scan? It should be informative at least for a comparative basis.

[QUOTE=DoctorM;2723939]
That said, I know it isn’t RELIABLE, but is there some software that will actually allow Pioneer drives to do a quality scan? It should be informative at least for a comparative basis.[/QUOTE]

No, none that I know of. You’re stuck having to do real-world playback/reading.

Ah well. I’ve already seen the Pioneer do some impressive things. Fingers crossed on the quality.

You will get best results from Verbatim Datalife 43804, 43811, 43812 (Mediacode CMCMAG BA5) as well as from original VERBATIMe with 6x.
The Pioneer BDR209/S09 is able to burn them faster successfully, but LDC/BIS failures rise with the speed.