Verbatim 43815 DVD+R (50 discs cakebox)

vbimport

I just purchased a cakebox (50) of Verbatim DVD+R discs.
The item code is 43815, the label reads “DataLife” , there is no AZO badge, and it’s manufactured in China.

I looked up for 43815 in Verbatims site (both Interenational, Europe and even China) but there is no record of this item.

I wonder why these items are listed on the site…
43498 Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB 16X Cakebox 10 (AZO Dye)
43500 Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB 16X Cakebox 25 (AZO Dye)
43550 Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB 16X Cakebox 50 (AZO Dye)

…while this is not;
43815 Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB 16X Cakebox 50 DataLife (No AZO)

The site I purchased from uses the photo for 43550 and the title says 43815.
I thought the number 43815 was a typo since it did not appear in Verbatim site search, so I ordered the item expecting to recieve a 43550.
I feel like tricked.

Is this 43815 actually made by Verbatim?
If yes, why it’s not listed in any Verbatim sites?

Any ideas?

43815 Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB 16X Cakebox 50 DataLife Contains;

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-M01-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [M01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

[ DVD Identifier V5.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

That’s your regular, “run-of-the-mill” CMC Magnetics junk unfortunately. Not the first-rate Mitsubishi Kagaku Media product.

I wonder why 43815 does not appear in Verbatim site.

Does Verbatim produce such ghost products?:eek:

If I was able to find info about 43815, I’d know it was a DataLife series CMC product and I’d avoid it.

From what site did you purchase these discs? I would expect them to be labeled “Life Series” instead of the plain “DataLife”. (“Life Series” is still CMC or some other mediocre media.)

Maybe this “DataLife” product is just a regional variant of their value-oriented products? It is a little weird that this is not on Verbatim’s main site.

[QUOTE=Albert;2750343]From what site did you purchase these discs? I would expect them to be labeled “Life Series” instead of the plain “DataLife”. (“Life Series” is still CMC or some other mediocre media.)

Maybe this “DataLife” product is just a regional variant of their value-oriented products? It is a little weird that this is not on Verbatim’s main site.[/QUOTE]
I think they are [S]almost[/S] certainly counterfeit. :frowning:

Search on Google for ‘Verbatim 43815’ and all of the relevant results are for shopping sites in Turkey. (And this thread on MyCE, top of the list where it should be. :iagree:)

There is no Verbatim site anywhere in the world in the search results. I checked Verbatim’s Turkey web site manually and it has nothing similar to these.

Finally, all barcode numbers should be registered before a product goes on sale. But this one doesn’t appear on any of the databases I searched. That seems pretty conclusive.

This wouldn’t be the first example of discs with counterfeit Verbatim branding & packaging. A couple of years ago someone received some horrible (probably cheap Chinese-made) Plasmon ATIP CD-R, which were sold with fake Verbatim branding & packaging.

Yeah, I couldn’t find any info, either. I wanted to be hopeful, since these are no better than Verbatim’s own value discs…unless some disc manufacturer has decided to fake CMC’s media. :rolleyes:

Maybe noisywan can try to return these discs and try again with a different retailer?

Irrelevant to the conversation, but on the label exists a link to a website that doesn’t exist for me (a link to a site supposedly there to give you info about recordable DVDs – some dvdrwservices site). I wonder what the purpose of that is?

[QUOTE=Albert;2750374]Irrelevant to the conversation, but on the label exists a link to a website that doesn’t exist for me (a link to a site supposedly there to give you info about recordable DVDs – some dvdrwservices site). I wonder what the purpose of that is?[/QUOTE]
Your eyesight is much better than mine. :rolleyes:

Dvdrwservices.com was the DVD+RW Alliance’s upgrade portal. Archive.org has snapshots from 2003-2009. The enterprising individuals who unilaterally expanded Verbatim’s product range had faithfully copied an old label - 1st generation ‘new’ type from 2008-2009.

@noisywan

Welcome to the forum. :flower: (Forgot earlier :o)

I hope that you will be able to return these discs for a refund or exchange for genuine Verbatim discs.

If you cannot, they are probably genuine CMC Magnetics discs (if you post the disc serial numbers somebody should be able to confirm it). The quality varies quite a lot, but if they are a good batch they should be perfectly usable discs.

Did you buy the discs in Turkey?

Good luck.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Ibex is right, I purchased them from a Turkish shopping site; hepsiburada.com

Here is the item link;
http://www.hepsiburada.com/liste/verbatim-dvdr-47gb-16x-50li-cakebox-43815/productDetails.aspx?productId=bs51771&categoryId=3011536&SKU=BS51771

The serial number on the transparent part of the disc is;
PSP319RL31223712 - 4

The serial number on the dye side;
CPDR47G-CSMWPO3-1158 F521
(I’m not sure if that O is a number or a letter. It wasn’t a slashed zero so I read it as a letter.)

I’ll be keeping them but I won’t be using these CMC non-AZO DVDs for archival purposes.

I wonder what Verbatim will say about those 43815 disks not appearing anywhere else but Turkish stores. They haven’t replied to my email yet.

Even though I’ve noticed them, Hepsiburada still lists the item with the wrong photo. (Naturally they can’t find an official photo since 43815 does not exist on Verbatim sites)

I’m not an expert, but they look very similar to other CMC Magnetics serial & stamper codes so should be genuine.

If my counting is correct, the letters ‘RL’ indicate they were manufactured in December 2013.

Verbatim EU has replied and they say some products are made for specific markets only and would not shown on the Verbatim website.

It’s weird that they have country/market based websites but they don’t mention country/market specific products in those sites.

BTW here is the quality test.

Very good CMC Magnetics discs. :iagree:

[QUOTE=noisywan;2750432]Verbatim EU has replied and they say some products are made for specific markets only and would not shown on the Verbatim website.

It’s weird that they have country/market based websites but they don’t mention country/market specific products in those sites.

BTW here is the quality test.
http://i.imgur.com/qizuaFR.jpg[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a generic answer from Verbatim - they may not have bothered to read your e-mail properly or check the details.

Or maybe I’m wrong and they are a genuine Verbatim product? It is perfectly possible that they have a product only for the Turkish market.

But we know the discs are recent production (December 2013) and the packaging is a new product not seen before. So why would the label mentions a web site which ended 5 years ago (and used a different address for several years before then), and which Verbatim stopped printing on other DVD+R labels some time ago?

I hope they are counterfeit. While it is unfortunate that many people will be conned, the thought that Verbatim might start selling these all over Europe…

Your scan isn’t bad at all. Apart from the PIF clusters at 2.4 & 3.5GB, the result is very good. The PIE average should be lower at a slower scanning speed - 16x speed is too fast for scanning, we normally use 4x or 8x. Scanning at such a high speed is more a test of how good the drive is at reading than the quality of the disc.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2750445]Sounds like a generic answer from Verbatim - they may not have bothered to read your e-mail properly or check the details. [/QUOTE]

I thought so and I’ve replied with a question asking the market those 43815 disks are sold.

Without a complete product list (including all markets), it’s very hard for a customer to distinguish fake and genuine Verbatim products.

They look like they are not willing to be clear about this.

[QUOTE=noisywan;2750471]I thought so and I’ve replied with a question asking the market those 43815 disks are sold.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly what I would have done - if only on principle! :bigsmile:

Too many people don’t do their job unless they are forced to.

[OT]
This is an excellent & very entertaining book on the subject, written by one of creators of ‘Yes, Minister’.

[I]How to Beat Sir Humphrey: Every Citizen’s Guide to Fighting Officialdom by Antony Jay.[/I]

You should mention the dead link too when you talk to them.

[QUOTE=Qyngali;2750718]You should mention the dead link too when you talk to them.[/QUOTE]

Dead link?

Looks like Verbatim EU simply ignored my question.

I have also contacted UK and US (using a different user profile) and they never replied. Verbatim EU replied once with a generic answer and that’s all.

Apparently there is no way to be sure that 43815 is not a counterfeit cakebox of CMC discs.

[QUOTE=noisywan;2750776]Dead link?[/QUOTE]

Discussed in posts 6 & 7.

[QUOTE=Albert;2750787]Discussed in posts 6 & 7.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok. Sorry. I’ll ask that too if they reply to my email.

Today I purchased a 43550 cakebox of Taiwan MCC 004 discs and it also has that dead link on the box.

Looks like they don’t care about details like links,product codes and customers asking for information since sales are all fine.