Verbatim 321240AL Communication Failure

vbimport

I have a Verbatim 321240AL drive, and from what I can tell from this forum, it is the equivalent of a LiteOn LTR-32123S drive. I’m trying to copy a CD using Nero 6 Ultra, and I get a “communication failure” everytime I attempt to copy a data CD. The firmware is X8S6, and I’ve tried burn rates down to 8X, with the same results. I’m not able to locate any firmware updates on the LiteOn website for this drive, and am at a loss as to what updates/settings I need to adjust.

System specs:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v.2.0
512MB RAM

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

So I verified from some posts that the Verbatim 321240AL is truly a Lite-On 32123S. I used MtkFlash and the XSU1 firmware to convert/overclock it to the Lite-On 40125S with no problems. I still have the same issue in that I can not enable DMA – I get the “communication failure” in Nero unless I change the transfer mode to “PIO only” in XP device manager. It burns successfully with PIO, but much slower. Is this just an IDE cable issue (possibly using a 40-pin IDE cable instead of an 80-pin?) , or am I missing another setting?