Verbatim 16x +R

vbimport

hello there,

You all been much helpful, and I havr another question - I do apologise if the answer is already here, I’ve already trawled through a lot, but I’m in a dreadful hurry and need clearance:

I’m transfereing +rw’s onto +r’s (by playing & recording, not burning).

I was adviced Verbatim +r’s a re good. NOW, I have a Philips DVDR610, which i believe is okay for 8x +R discs (due to 2004 firmware)

Will verbatim 16x record alright? Or is this a mistake, should i look for another brand with 8x?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thank You!!! :):):slight_smile:

ryanluke Welcome to CDFreaks

The short answer is yes they will record,most of us burn at half the speed the disc are rated for.

Great! Thank you bean55. TDK are good as well I hear (UK market)??

No, TDK DVDs are horrible, there have been two threads here in the last month about failed TDKs - one where the OP could burn nothing but coasters (all scanning with insane PI rates), another where a user had data on TDK dvds and they’re unreadable after 2 years (so bad the drive can’t even recognise them), I think it was. Avoid 'em at all costs!

Many people here (myself included) would advise you to only to use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. DVDs, with Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8x (YUDEN000 T02, Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 16x (TYG03), and most AZO Verbatims.

As stated in my sig :

I use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim media only

Wasted to much time using other media and having to redo.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2161089]No, TDK DVDs are horrible[/QUOTE]

Not all. New FTI made ones are excellent.
But of course, Verbatims or TYs are safer and more available choices.

Philips has a firmware update for the DVDR610 dated 26-10-2005 [v BT1_35 English (UK)] which might offer better support for 16x discs.

Great, Thanks.

Well, it has to be SONY +R’s now, as my supermarket had an offer. 1-16x.

Thanks for the info on the update.
Its breakdown info didn’t have anything about 16x, just some other stuff I don’t understand. And I can’t burn the update onto a disc on my computer as the drive is shot! Oh the joys of modern technology, much more to go wrong.

Thanks for the help guys. I’m going to give these a shot- Sony 1 - 16x comp dvd+r, on my philips 610. Pray for me.

Ta.

Well, in the absence of Verbies or TYs, Sony would be my pick :slight_smile:

Re: the firmware update - you should be able to run it from your desktop (I usually do so in Safe Mode, just to reduce the amount of background proggies running), assuming it’s an .exe - it may be a .zip file that you have to extract first, I don’t know. But you shouldn’t have to burn it to disc. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Off-topic:

Re: the TDK discs. TDK 16x -R (CMC MAG. AM3) are very good for me, burned at 8x - on newer burners, though. So not all TDK is bad :wink:

[QUOTE=ryanluke;2161236]Well, it has to be SONY +R’s now, as my supermarket had an offer. 1-16x.[/QUOTE]

Which supermarket & how much?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2161238]Re: the firmware update - you should be able to run it from your desktop, assuming it’s an .exe - it may be a .zip file that you have to extract first, I don’t know. But you shouldn’t have to burn it to disc. :)[/QUOTE]

The Philips DVDR610 is a standalone DVD video recorder. :wink:

Of course the easiest and quickest way to copy your +rw discs to +r would be to just do a straight disc copy on your computer. Playing back and re-recording will not only take a long time but the picture quality will suffer significantly. If you copird the discs on a computer then you would get a perfect copy. Also this would any problems with your DVDR610 not liking 16x DVD+R discs.

You can get a good DVD writer to replace your current drive for about £15. An Optiarc AD7200x or a Samsung SH-202x or 203x would be a good all-rounder. The Samsung would be a much better DVD quality scanner than the Optiarc.

great, thanks everyone.

Thanks for the reassurance Arachne.

Ibex : Tesco. Only a pound or two off, not much, being discontinued (just grabbed them in a rush) £9.68 for 25 (+ and -) or something like that.

Kodak’s are on really good offer through tesco direct (spend £25, get free delivery/store collection). 10pack -rw £3.98 etc. etc. -/+ R 25 pack £4.48. it’s on the tesco direct website. Was going to get £25 worth, but they’ve run out of +rw which i need also.

I’ve never burned discs but would love to give it a go - so i suppose i need some sort of copying software? I assume the discs are loaded onto the hard drive first, then copied onto a blank disc?

thanks for the help, all. re-recording a disc now, so I’ll let you know the outcome.

Ta.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2161242]The Philips DVDR610 is a standalone DVD video recorder. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL whoops! That would explain the need to burn the firmware to a disc :bigsmile: :doh:

I’ve never burned discs but would love to give it a go - so i suppose i need some sort of copying software? I assume the discs are loaded onto the hard drive first, then copied onto a blank disc?

Plenty of copy software around, I load all to my hard drive and then burn, some do not.

Check out the tab up top under download.

Happy Burning

Don’t get the Kodak’s from Tesco, they are cheap crap made in Hong Kong. Same goes fro the Tesco’s own brand. :Z

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2161383]Don’t get the Kodak’s from Tesco, they are cheap crap made in Hong Kong. Same goes fro the Tesco’s own brand. :Z[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Kodak media from Tesco are made by Umedisc (UME01-02, AML002-003 MIDs) in China and Hong Kong. They are not the worst media around, but for you can buy Verbatims for the same price…

[QUOTE=ryanluke;2161274]I’ve never burned discs but would love to give it a go - so i suppose i need some sort of copying software? I assume the discs are loaded onto the hard drive first, then copied onto a blank disc?[/QUOTE]

You should be able to copy your discs using Nero Express or any other DVD writing software. Just select copy disc and it will copy an image of the disc to your hard drive than write it to a blank disc. Because the discs have been recorded on your DVD video recorder there will not be any copy protection which requires special software to overcome.

Great Thanks Ibex.

I’m jumping over the fence to Mac soon, so I’ll try it on that. It’s all footage from my camcorder so it should copy fine. Thanks for the help.

The Kodaks are pretty bad. I’ve used quite a few of them and will definately be transfering onto the sony +r’s. But at 3.98 I’m not really complaining.

the Tesco’s home brand are a no no.Thanks for the help guys! Appreciated.

Now one last question :flower: : DVD cases or jewel cases? I’m thinking jewel cases, they’re okay really aren’t they to be honest? I don’t want the clutter of tall dvd boxes.

[QUOTE=ryanluke;2164366]Now one last question :flower: : DVD cases or jewel cases?[/QUOTE]

Entirely down to your personal preference.

If you want to store as many discs as possible for the least amount of shelf space then these are what I use.

10 disc DVD case - Standard dvd case height but thicker, about the size of the plastic cases for VHS cassettes or a paperback book. Sit nicely on a bookcase.
http://svp.co.uk/product/amps_10_way_black_dvd_storage_case_amps072

Small slimline double DVD case - About the same size as a standard CD Jewel case (slightly slimmer). I have also used a different make but the tabs that hold the discs break too easily, these are better.
http://svp.co.uk/product/amps_small_slimline_double_black_dvd_case_amps069

The quality of the plastic is not great (recycled), but unlike jewel cases they don’t shatter when you drop them.