Verbatim 16x DVD+R questionable quality suddenly!

heLLo everyone,

Am i out of luck all of sudden with verbatims or wot !?
I dont say its “BAD” and scans are prety much subjective but for what its worth iam certainly not used to have such incosistent scans with verbats and there has got to be some quality loss there (see below) !!

Its a fairly new computer system and iam sure its not my psu either, have checked that torough with everest and compared to the bios setting and everything seems to be ok.

Have bhought 2 50p spindles both are MIT, MCC004, inner ring say PAPA 130G26xxx and something.
Both on my samsung 203N and asus 24B1ST the verbats are producing prety much the same HORRIBLE results at any given speed !!

Both scans from cd speed and optidrive control are prety much consistent so i guess theres nothing wrong about error reporting i asume!!

Example Opti controll (recorded with asus 8x)

Example Cdspeed 4.7.7.16 (recorded with asus 8x):Z

And another Test burn from another disc with asus 8x:Z:Z

Yet another test burn made with Samsung SH-203N this time burned @8x aswell !!::doh:

Verbatim quality usuall looked like this when i started to use them a few years back :iagree:

But NOT LATELY anymore :a !!!

Now, to show you nothing can be possible wrong with the burners i will shown you the results of another DVd+R brand burned @16x i repeate burned @16X (instead of verbatim @ mare 8x)

Brand: JVC (Scartch proof) / MID:YUDEN000T03

Did anyone else have had such a inconsistency once or twice with verbatim discs lately !!?

The discs are so BAD i burn COASTERS AT 20X with ASUS burner ( No additional sense ares error…)
But not COASTER with samsung 203N burner, yet the PIE / PIF / Jitter results are prety much the same compared with the other 8x-12x burns !!

My samsung is sure enough a better burner then the asus by the looks of the scans and by the fact it could finish the burns at 20x al!

But still, its not the first time i have bhought CRAP/GARBAGE media from verbatim and i COMPLETELY LOST MY FAITH in VERBATIM NOW!!

any opinions? Apart from the fact you dont have to tell me to STICK with :bow: JVC/TY :bow: from now ON

Feel free to speak your mind.

cheers,

The last batch or two of Verbatim +R and -R I tried was that bad or worse looking on
scans from both the MCC004 +R and the MCC03RG20 -R.

That is why I have decided to swear off of all Verbatim discs for a while unless I could
get lucky enough to find some of the MIUE discs but I have to say no thanks to any of
the MIT, MII discs and a great big hell no to any of the Verbatim Life series discs. :eek: :disagree:

[QUOTE=getit29;2583500]The last batch or two of Verbatim +R and -R I tried was that bad or worse looking on
scans from both the MCC004 +R and the MCC03RG20 -R.

That is why I have decided to swear off of all Verbatim discs for a while unless I could
get lucky enough to find some of the MIUE discs but I have to say no thanks to any of
the MIT, MII discs and a great big hell no to any of the Verbatim Life series discs. :eek: :disagree:[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it :doh: !!

Is the abreviation of MIUE “Made in europe” perhaps getit?

So you have no such luck with MIT & MII either then … realy?

I mean MIT looks like garbage you sure coud see for yourself :Z.

But are the MII as in “Made in Japan” bad too getit ?

Can you show me some recent scans from MIT and or MII ?

I think i hit the bulls eye “for now atleast” :rolleyes: going for the JVC DVD+R (Scratch proof) with as MID: Tayo Yuden003

Although you seem to have had bad experience with MIJ products , those JVC spindles of mine seems to be made in japan aswell and they produce GREAT results “so far” :iagree:

but indeed those MIT discs are good for frisbee use in the upcoming summer :cool:

I did open another 50p spindle verbatims and did burn another disk … and i have to tell you… iam glad i only purchased “100” cuz that will be the last 100 in a long LONGG…long time for awhile

this is a burn made with Samy SH-203N a YEAR ago :iagree:

And this is a scan from a fresh burn today , again made with the same SH-203N :disagree: :sad:

Pie are just fine but look at the PIF errors not to mention the amount PIF errors !!!

If those scans are somewot reliable to some degree, and you plan to use those discs for long term storage purpose.

Then there is got to be some QUALITY loss not at first but in the long run for sure that is !!

Thanks for your input getit :flower:

cheers,

kab,

That should have read MIUAE or [B]Made In The United Arab Emirates [/B]by FTI or Falcon Technology
as they are the best but hard to find now. :iagree:

MII stands for [B]Made In India [/B]and some have reported having good luck with them but
no good luck on the ones I’ve tried from India. :disagree: :doh:

[QUOTE=getit29;2583520]That should have read MIUAE or [B]Made In The United Arab Emirates [/B]by FTI or Falcon Technology
as they are the best but hard to find now. :iagree:

MII stands for [B]Made In India [/B]and some have reported having good luck with them but
no good luck on the ones I’ve tried from India. :disagree: :doh:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing this up getit :flower:

The only BIG question that remains is if quality variates so much, why doesnt verbatim do something about this !??

I mean, i thought their intigrity wos rock solid when it comes down to QUALITY !!

I recently just bhought one of their brand mouses … and i have to tell you STAY AWY from their wireless mouses … for crying out loud !!

The mouse wheel is so LOOSE that by just moving the mouse the wheel starts to move with as results you go al sorts of directions when browsing pages !!!

And then there’s the connection or rather disconnection between the USB receiver and the mouse !!!

I need to use an usb extension cord to move the receiver almost next to my mouse pad to improve connection !!!

verbatim = :Z:Z:Z cheap more and more lately !!

oh my oh my !!

[QUOTE=Jannenba;2583715]The only BIG question that remains is if quality variates so much, why doesnt verbatim do something about this !??
I mean, i thought their intigrity wos rock solid when it comes down to QUALITY !![/QUOTE]

It is all about the almighty dollar or how much profit they can make and
the quality that Verbatim used to be known for seems to have fallen by
the way-side now days.

Just like with any mfg now days it is all about the profit and how cheaply
they can get their product made and how high of a price they can get for
it and sadly quality is not a main concern anymore. :disagree: :doh:

[QUOTE=getit29;2583771]It is all about the almighty dollar or how much profit they can make and
the quality that Verbatim used to be known for seems to have fallen by
the way-side now days.

Just like with any mfg now days it is all about the profit and how cheaply
they can get their product made and how high of a price they can get for
it and sadly quality is not a main concern anymore. :disagree: :doh:[/QUOTE]

Yes so it seems to be a fashion trade these day’s…

But you know wot, eventually being cheap to gain profit will be at the cost of their customers if the midle man is smart enough to boycot this way of marketing and stop buying from them.

[slid thread to this forum, as it’s more about the media than the drives in question]

I’ve been seeing some degree of this quality decline with EVERY brand over the last 12-18 months. Falcons have gone to complete garbage, & TY’s look like a moderate quality Verb did 2 years ago.

Sad to see, but DVDs are going to go the way of the Laser disc and other formats before it, streaming video is the future, too bad I really liked DVDs alot. It might be five eyars up the road but its coming. JMHO.:wink:

Hey guys! I’m a new poster although I’m not a new visitor, being an enthusiast of c0deking’s tools. :bow:

I just went thru a few batches of Verbatim DVD+R media, and I thought I’d share my findings.

I don’t have shots from the quality scans, but I have a few numbers.
Whenever I began using a new batch (serial number) I would reset the OPC history, and then take
readings from the first and third burn, the first being SB only (to assess how good the media fitted the firmware
strategy), then followed by SB+FHT+OHT ones.

At this point, I found that media quality reflects itself mainly in PIF totals, being PIE a measure of how good the
burner strategy is or gets, since the PIE average would generally drop below 15 after the third burn.
On finding any spike or anomaly that would tilt the averages, I would disregard the scan.

This was what I got (16x burns, 8x scans, ASUS DRW-24B3ST @ iHAS324 AL1A):

[B]Verbatim (spindles of 25, Made in India by Moser Baer)[/B]
Found some layer bonding issues near the inner ring, seen on every disc
from every spindle.
MCC004, ZE4349, [B]1139 522 +R E[/B], PIFt: SB [B]2500[/B]; SB+FHT+OHT [B]2800[/B]
MCC004, ZE4302, [B]1114 546 +R E[/B], PIFt: SB [B]1100[/B]; SB+FHT+OHT [B]540[/B]

[B]Verbatim (spindle of 50, made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics)[/B]
MCC004, ZE4361, [B]PAPA06PD26[/B], PIFt: SB [B]2800[/B]; SB+FHT+OHT [B]2500[/B]

[B]Verbatim (spindles of 100, Made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics)[/B]
MCC004, ZE4361, [B]PAPA16PC31[/B], PIFt: SB [B]11400[/B]; SB+FHT+OHT [B]6500[/B] (horrible) :doh:
MCC004, ZE4361, [B]PAPA29PC29[/B], PIFt: SB [B]2800[/B]; SB+FHT+OHT [B]1500[/B]
MCC004, ZE4349, [B]PAPA29PE05[/B], PIFt: SB [B]2200[/B]; SB+FHT+OHT [B]2900 [/B]

Considering that full burns with PIF totals up to 3000 are acceptable for budget media
(what this was not, at 0.40€ a piece), I have now two JVC/TY spindles coming in from abroad
and I’m not purchasing any more Verbs. :disagree:

Cheers!
Pete

You may want to try FTI, I’ve gad much better luck with FtI/Falcon than with JVC/TY for at least the last year.

To back up my prior statement, here’s a random FTI I just burned a few minutes ago. This is a slightly better than average FTI scan from my current batches. Came from Supermedia (as much as I hate to say anything good about SM).

@mgondium- Welcome to the forum :flower:

I can back you up on this one, 4M :).

The recent production Falcon 8x DVD-R burn very well. Even SMS can’t mess em up :wink:

SB : on
all others : off

Thanks deanwitty :flower:

I wish I could have the choice, but I’m in Europe (southern).
FTI is just an unknown brand, and online stores that ship from abroad don’t carry it.

So I’m stuck with ordering from Germany, lets just see what those JVC/TY are worth.

If they turn out to be worse than those “Verbs-of-FAIL” spindles from Staples, then
I’m through with optical media :doh:

Cheers
Pete

I think I’m having too many Senior moments lately. I just noticed my post (#9) from April where i stated that FTI’s were sucking. Guess I need to change my statement that they’ve been high quality from the last year to the last few months.

FTI did go through a period where their quality went downhill for awhile when they started to get popular. My aging brain apparently had forgotten it was earlier this year.

Either way, my last 3 batches of Falcons are much better than my last 2 batches of TY’s, which I currently only use for my standalone (which I reburn all recordings anyway) or as gifts to friends.

[QUOTE=mgondium;2607848]Thanks deanwitty :flower:

FTI is just an unknown brand, and online stores that ship from abroad don’t carry it.

So I’m stuck with ordering from Germany, lets just see what those JVC/TY are worth.

If they turn out to be worse than those “Verbs-of-FAIL” spindles from Staples, then

Cheers
Pete[/QUOTE]
I’ve noticed that Falcon’s are becoming more common in the UK and I thought it might be so elsewhere in Europe. That is unfortunate.

Hope the TY’s get a nice smooth ride to your doorstep. Sounds like you need a sweet batch o media to get you back to havin’ fun. Give us a shout before you tear up your CdFreak membership card. We’ll figure out some way to get you the good stuff :bigsmile:.

[QUOTE=mgondium;2607848]Thanks deanwitty :flower:

Cheers
Pete[/QUOTE]

sorry, did you read the thread? :bigsmile:
specially the posts of getit29? :cool:
if you can buy verbatim then have a look for made in uae.

if you can get maxell made in japan dvd+r “maxell xtreme protek” take that.
maxell xtreme protek are the best i ever had. :flower:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/160663036033?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

[QUOTE=memory;2607887]sorry, did you read the thread? :bigsmile:
specially the posts of getit29? :cool:
if you can buy verbatim then have a look for made in uae.

if you can get maxell made in japan dvd+r “maxell xtreme protek” take that.
maxell xtreme protek are the best i ever had. :flower:

Yes, I can’t find MIUAE media available in stores here, FTI or other.
There are just MII ou MIT and most don’t even say where they’re from.
Finding MIJ would be a feat comparable to the second coming of the Lord,
and they would most likely turn out to be fakes made in China. :o

I’ll look into that, thanks. :flower:

where are you located?