Verbatim 16x DVD-R Made in Japan TYG03

Hi,

I just received some new Verbatim 16x DVD-R media, and I was expecting to see either Made in Taiwan or Made in India discs with a MCC 03RG20 identifier.

What I got instead was Made in Japan with a TYG03 identifier and a hub batch number GH000126; presumably these are genuine Taiyo Yudens.

The packaging type was 25 pack cakebox non-printable with reorder number 43522. This is the same reorder number as Matt Silver MCC 03RG20, and the packaging also features the Advanced AZO+ logo.

I haven’t burned any of these as I still have a fair number of Made in Taiwan discs, but since I haven’t seen anyone here reporting getting Verbatim branded 16x Taiyo Yuden media, I thought you might be interested.

I bought the discs from a webshop in Germany that specifically targets the danish market (due to horrendous blank media levies in Denmark). The shop was IT-Netsupply.dk in case anyone is interested.

Hmmm, I wonder why Verbatim is re-branding 16x discs from Taiyo Yuden; I thought they were only re-branding 8x TY disc because they were moving all their production facilities to 16x media. Now I’m confused… :confused:

They want better reputation since the Pearl White :wink: Thanks for the info…

I thought Verbatim in EU quite often used TY media? Don’t live there so I don’t know!!:flower: Well it’s still great media. Seems you have a quite recent batch, mine are 073 and 076. Wouldn’t mind seeing a scan in one of your NEC’s though. Cheers.

I’m curious to see a scan of these media :slight_smile:

Too bad never seen one of these media :frowning:

I wouldn’t mind seeing a scan I could trust on my NEC 4551 either, but it is not cooperating so far. :a

Right now I’m scanning a disc that shows more than 2200 PIEs per 8 ECC blocks, which is pretty amazing since the theoretical limit is 1664, and the same burn shows about 40-50 PIE max in my Plextor and LiteOn drives. The PIF values in my NEC scans are crazy too, except in 1x scans which is at least somewhat believable. :doh:

If and when I post scans I will be certain to include scans performed in my Plextor and LiteOn drives! :slight_smile:

Hmmm, this is interesting because I thought TY’s lines were so busy producing their own unbranded (and That’s!) discs that they didn’t have the capacity to to make them for other companies like Fuji. At least that’s what Fuji said; maybe they just don’t want to pay TY prices…

Aren’t NECs known to be flaky scanners, Dragemeister? You already have the two makes (Liteon & Plextor) that are considered to be the standard in scanning. I know Pioneer and NEC rushed out their first scanning drives last year, but I would have thought they got it nailed down by now.

I don’t know, as I already said I was quite surprised myself.

The shop I bought the media from does nothing else but sell DVD and CD media (plus some accessories), so they are definitely not selling some of old stock, so I guess they must have gotten these Verbatim TYG03s very recently.

Yes, NECs are known to be flaky scanners, but I didn’t think they would be as flaky as mine is. I actually bought the LiteOn SHW-1635S after I got fed up with the scanning results with my NEC 4551 just so I could get a dependable second opinion of the disc quality (I still consider my Plextor PX-712A as my primary scanner because I know it so well).

And please, it’s DrageMester (danish for DragonMaster) - not Dragemeister (a danish/german bastardization of the name). :wink:

Here are two scans of the same disc (NOT the Verbatim TYG03s I started the thread about) performed on the same NEC 4551. The first scan was performed on the first day I got the drive and the second scan was made four days later. The disc was kept in a jewel case between the two scans, and according to my other scanning drives did not deteriorate during these four days.

With a difference like this between two scans of the same disc on the NEC drive, there’s no way I can trust it as a scanner. Maybe something in the drive went haywire after that first day, because now all my scans look pretty bad on the NEC except for some 1x scans. But the drive still reads well, so it seems to only affect scanning. :confused:

Even though this is completely off-topic, I don’t feel guilty 'cause I started this thread. :bigsmile:

And now the scans (NOT of the Verbatim 16x DVD-R TYG03):

Thanks for these scans :slight_smile:

Are you sure that scanning @12x isn’t too fast?

The first scan is not so bad, but second one have too much PIF :frowning:

Yes, as you know they are real Taiyo Yudens. However they are only available in Europe, Taiyo Yuden is currently selling these TYG03 at a discount in many of the online sites. About 40.00USD per 100. There is one site that sends them out if you order TYG01 4X media. I think they are overstocked with TYG03 and that is why there is no Yuden000-T03-000 available in the US yet. I know they are in England because I recieved some froma friend in Yorkshire but none here in the USA, only TYG03.

Please note that these scans were NOT of Verbatim 16x DVD-R TYG03; I posted the scans just to show how flaky a scanner my NEC 4551 is (and I’m not saying that all other 4551s are this flaky).

Scanning at 12x seems to be better on my drive than scanning at 5x, 8x or 16x; only 1x scanning is more reliable (or LESS unreliable). But these two scans are the most instructive I have to show how unreliable my scans on the NEC 4551 are. This is why I haven’t reall posted many scans yet fom this drive.

When I post scans of this media at some point, I will be sure to include other scanners than just the flaky NEC drive.

Thanks DrageMester, and sorry :flower: : I missed it

Sorry, I did take German for 4 years in school and sometimes it slips out. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, who’s responsible for a bastardization known as “Carlsberg”? :bigsmile:

(Not playing favourites; Molson, Foster’s, Budweiser, Beck’s, Boddington’s, Stella Artois … all crap.)

Here are two scans of the same disc (NOT the Verbatim TYG03s I started the thread about) performed on the same NEC 4551. The first scan was performed on the first day I got the drive and the second scan was made four days later. The disc was kept in a jewel case between the two scans, and according to my other scanning drives did not deteriorate during these four days.

Well, that is the hallmark of a “flaky” scanner: wildly different results between scans, but not necessarily showing uniformly bad results. A friend of mine has an old Liteon 411s and I encouraged him to do some scans. Well, one scan would show a dreadful coaster, yet done again right away and it would show a pretty good scan. I asked about this in the Liteon forum and they just said “ahhh, yes, 411 was a flaky scanner”. :rolleyes:

Even though this is completely off-topic, I don’t feel guilty 'cause I started this thread. :bigsmile:

I think we talked about TYG03/Yuden000-T03 in the Plextor forum and I said I thought some people were kinda disappointed by them both. The reason I said that was that the scans don’t seem to be any better than TYG02 or Y-T02 oversped to 16x (still pretty good). I think the expectation with the 16x TY media was that 16x burns would have PIEs no higher than 9 and ultra-low PIF spikes and totals - which isn’t the case.

Right now, I’d have to give the nod to Verbatim for having the best 16x media (MCC 004). In that discussion you & I had, I also mentioned that TYG03 (been out less than a year, remember) was already heavily discounted here, costing less than $1 more for 50-spindle than the 8x media. Now you let us know that Verbatim is selling it, and Alan1476 reminded us of the order-4x-and-get-16x episode.

I think something’s “up” in that not only is TYG03 flooding the global retail and rebranding channels, but its price point is a lot lower than one would expect for their newest DVD-R media. I wouldn’t be surprised if it started turning up in the Memorex and Fuji brands.

No real suprise.(only suprise is that they show up now allready. I would have expected these a few months later. )

Let me quote myself

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1220345&postcount=472

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1221859&postcount=495

So I’m right and Fuji customer service was wrong.

I think something’s “up” in that not only is TYG03 flooding the global retail and rebranding channels, but its price point is a lot lower than one would expect for their newest DVD-R media. I wouldn’t be surprised if it started turning up in the Memorex and Fuji brands.

At this moment I would say FUJI is not so likely.

deleted

These aren’t available in Britain yet.

All I can find at Sam’s Club (a large American discount retailer, part of the WalMart complex) are MIT. The last time I bought them, they were MCC 03RG20.

FYI, at this time the prices to beat in the USA for TYG03s in 100 lot are

rima.com $38.99
supermediastore.com $39.99
meritline.com $38.99

Also FYI, I got 8x -R TYG02s at rima for $31.99. Since it is safer to burn TYG03s at 12x and TYG02s at 8x, the difference in burn time is small. Since it is safer to burn while the computer is inactive, the difference in burn time is not important enough to warrant an extra $7 per 100. It is also claimed by some experts that 8x discs last longer than 16x discs.

And finally, I would like to mention that these are my opinions. If you like them, then I am pleased to be of assistance. If you don’t like them, you know where to shove them.

Or maybe Francksoy will cut me some slack because we respect each others opinions, even when we disagree on something? :slight_smile:

this was the best media I have tested and burned, but the TYG02’s you receive are almost as good

I bought the spindled TYG03’s a couple of months ago in a similar deal.

LOL

Off Topic…Boy you sure like to stir the pot don’t ya!!!