Verbatim 16x DVD+R Issue?

vbimport

I never had a problem burning DVD’s using Nero 7 and the Pioneer 112D DVD Burner (1.24 firmware) running under Vista Home Premium SP1 until the last batch of Verbatim disks. It seems more often than not the first time I try to burn a DVD @ 20x the burn fails near the end. I can come back minutes later and burn the same data to the next Verbatim disk and it works just fine. This has happened at least 4 times and I’ve only use 15 of the DVD’s! Anybody else encountered this problem?

First of all, your 112D can only burn at 18x maximum speed :wink:

Second, overspeeding media is always risky. While it can produce good results with certain batches of media, with the next batch it could be too fast.

Sorry about that - another senior moment. You are correct it burns at 18x not 20x. But the problem with the “first burn of the boot error” is still the question.

In my experience, burning at high speed is a gamble and you can’t expect good results every time, except with the best batches of the best media in the most compatible burners.

Even 16x is pushing it a lot of the time.

I would reduce the burning speed and stop worrying, but that’s me.

For what it is worth - I am able to burn the same Verbatum 16x DVD’s at 20x on my Samsung 203B burner with no apparent problems! I’ll try telling Nero to burn movies at 16x on the Pioneer 112D and see if the coaster generation goes away.

[QUOTE=Ken429;2126311]For what it is worth - I am able to burn the same Verbatum 16x DVD’s at 20x on my Samsung 203B burner with no apparent problems! I’ll try telling Nero to burn movies at 16x on the Pioneer 112D and see if the coaster generation goes away.[/QUOTE]

Only because your Samsung finishes the burning process that doesnt mean that the result is good.

Yeah, that clearly is the solution to my problem!

Womi and Dragemester have actually already suggested a likely solution to your problem: reduce the burning speed. If that doesn’t work, you can still try different things (different media, software etc.) to isolate the problem.

It’s not like a few more seconds are going to kill you, and it most likely will improve the burn quality even with media that is suitable for 18-20x burning. There is a reason why the media is certified for 16x speed.

How many discs have you burned with the 112D? It could be that your burner is failing. I managed to burn several hundred DVDs on my 110D before it started producing coasters.