Verbatim 16x dvd+r discs

Does anyone know by the style of the cakebox top who is the manufacturer of these Verbatim Azo 100 pieces 16x dvd+r? These 100 pk are made in Taiwan. One style has a portruding knob in the middle of the cakebox top ( the knob is higher than the surface level of the cakebox top). The other is the knob is flushed( level) with surface of the cakebox top.

Could be CMC or Prodisc.
Please tell by the OPEN/LOCK font instead.

CMC MAG. MCC004 has a rectangle above the recycle symbol (triangle) on top.
Prodisc MCC004 does not have the rectangle, if you are not familar with font styles :wink: , thanks kg_evilboy
dash- MCC media is the same as + packaging look for the rectangle if you want CMC made.

purchased the Verbatims, did a disc check with Nero CdSpeed identifier. The MID is MCC 004. On the disc itself, Verbatim logo is stamped on clear area disc. Are these made by CMC for Verbatim using Mitsibishi Chemical dye? So these a good disc?

The media code itself doesn’t tell you much.
Yes, it’s Mitsubishi/Verbatim dye.
You have to look at the packaging or the code stamped into the hub (does it start with PAP? then it’s CMC)

the stamper number on the disc itself is as follows 6095F4025+0838 0F03. The bottom of the cakebox does have the rectangle logo on it in addition to the triangle recycling logo. The top of the cakebox has a thin raised lip.

Prodisc made.
Can be good media, my LG absolutely loves it. But watch out, some batches have bonding issues and air bubbles in the hub :frowning:

so, are you saying Prodisc made also has a rectangle logo at the bottom of the cakebox in addition to the recycling triangle? There is only two types of cakebox style available presently. One has the rectangle and one does not.

6095F4025+0838 0F03 is a Prodisc serial. When in doubt, the serial in the clear hub is to trust.

Please go by the OPEN/CLOSE font style, as suggested in post #2 - it’s the easiest way. For Verbatim “Made in Taiwan”, Serif = CMC and Sans-Serif = Prodisc. The CMC’s also have a taller straight lip than Prodisc (especially the 50pc. cakebox).

Excellent illustration, that’s incredibly helpful. :slight_smile:

Does the Open/Lock Font apply to the Mcc004 LightScribe 10 packs as well? My LS discs are from Newegg.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [004]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

The clear part of the hub serial is PAPA06KA25004595

Here’s the catch. The cakebox lid uses Sans-Serif.

Don’t know, but that hub code is CMC, I believe. :slight_smile:

It’s CMC. But CMC has been using Prodisc-style cakeboxes for some time too, cloning characteristics such as the Taiwanese recycle icon on the bottom (Verbatim Pearl White 8x DVD+R 25 disc pack in Europe, for example, and also some TDK 16x 25 disc packs).

Bought some Verbatim DVD-R 16x from Newegg.com. Serial is 6025E0813-02123X08. The cakebox Open/Lock is Sans-Serif. Prodisc made I am guessing. Does Verbatim have CMC -R’s? If so, is finding them just the luck of the draw?

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]

Yep those are Prodisc. And yes CMC does make -R’s. However, I think I read here that the CMC spindle packs are being phased out, so you’d be seeing more Prodisc ones from now on.

Try looking for 50 pack cakebox with labeling identifying them with offer of 100 photos from Winkflash. They have the serif lettering and the discs themselves have CMC coding PAP for plus and MAP for minus. It is available in both + or -.

Yes, but Dolphin also said that Prodisc lost licensing for making Verbatim media.
This means that you will also get the MBI crap :wink:
(Or, if you guys have luck, that CMC will be back on stage soon…)

Now forgive me is CMC = MCC? I have been returning my DVD+R Verbatim 100pk cakeboxes with sans serif open/lock lettering and keeping my DVD-R Verbatim 100pk cakeboxes with serif lettering. Both show MCC as MID but you are claiming that the sans serif ones are CMC(which stands for?)
Do I understand this right?
Either way I have moved on and now only buy Taiyo Yuden from reputable online seller. Occasionally I will pick-up sales on Verbatims etc. that people point out on these forums but this is gettin ridiculous establishing what is what :S

CMC manufactures media for many brand names including Verbatim; Verbatim is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (MCC) / Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (MKM).

Verbatim (MCC) manufactures very little of their media themselves, preferring instead to outsource manufacturing to other companies like CMC, Moser Baer India and Prodisc. Such outsourced manufacturing is done using Mitsubishi technology and quality assurance however.

So most of the time when we are talking about Verbatim Made by CMC, it really is Mitsubishi technology and a Mitsubishi media code, but the manufacturing was done by CMC.

There are exceptions, however, because Verbatim have used CMC manufactured media with CMC media codes for the Pearl White 8x series available in Europe.