Verbatim 16x bd-r media worth higher cost?

I recently had to replace my 10yo lg 10x bd-r drive with wh16ns40 drive.
Back on the old drive, I was able to burn 6x plex disc bd-r at 8x in nero.
With the NEW 16x speed drive, I can only burn at the rated 6x. The plex disc is rated at 6x, but I’m considering buying 16x verbatim at least to “test out” that I can burn at 16x… The main issue I’m wondering about is the 50pk of plex discs are around $20 ± $4… and the Verbatim 16x 50pk is around $38 ± $20… Is it worth 2x the price just to be able to burn at 16x speed?
I know some of you will state the obvious that verbatim is a better media than Plex disc… but the main comparison value I’m looking at is the ability to burn at substantially faster speeds, even if the option is to burn at a range between 8-16x…

Also downgraded the firmware successfully to 1.02, looking for CHEAP 4k blu ray movie to rip for proof of concept-- I don’t need a 1:1 copy of a movie.

1 Like

Strictly in that sense, I would rather save the $ and burn at the slower speed, especially given it’s going from about $20 to 40. but basically unless your burning a ton of discs, I would definitely rather save the money.

but with that said… if you care about the data your burning, Verbatim seems like the safer choice. so it’s not just about burn speed but disc quality. personally I would rather have quality discs than worry about burn speed especially if you don’t burn a lot of discs in general. but I guess it just boils down to how good those Plex discs are as if they are ‘good enough’, they are probably all around better than the Verbatim (like if they last long enough at about half the price it makes them the better all around buy) but if they won’t last nearly as long, and you want some level of long term data storage, then obviously the Verbatim is probably the only real option.

The data that I DO archive is distributed on dvd and blu ray now for redundancy… I guess I will hold onto all copies I make until some of them die, and then replace those or at the specified interval, whichever comes first. I’ve slowed burning discs altogether compared with the dvd days, because it’s a relatively expensive hobby now and I’m not committed to the extra storage space it would require. I seem to go through a 50 pack of bd-r every 20 months vs a 50 dvds a year-- more if I’m burning for others or discs go bad. Given the nature of media and software these days, that’s about the average stream of worthy backups IMO. I suppose there are those who will begin to trust/migrate to flash media, ssd and hard drives as the cost of those densities keeps dropping while optical media stays relatively fixed. As I write this:
1-pack verbatim bd-xl 100gb $12.99, 2 dual layer 50gb @ $2 each
vs 4 single layer (25gb) good quality $4 vs 4 ok quality $1
1 128gb microcenter flash drive $9.99
vs 1tb ssd @ $90 vs 5tb hdd @ $99
The question is, which would you trust more after 10 years, if you recorded important data and left it for 10 years in storage?

I don’t recommend to burn at 16x speed, the number of errors will be a lot higher than at 6x speed.

And you can’t use flash memory for long term storage, if you don’t power it up sometimes. It will lose data.

IMHO USB flash drives are the worst for data storage. Had to many defect flash drives in the past. Not everytime a hardware failure, also defect file systems.

SSD are more reliable but the specs only say it have to hold the data 1 year without connect to a power supply.

And all WMRM-storage is vulnerable for defect filesystems and Crypt-Trojans

That´s the biggest advantage of WORM-media

Most laptops and some desktops are not including optical drives anymore-- just look at the PC cases being made without 5 1/4" bays.
Desktops if including a burner will be dvd, not blu ray to keep cost down.
I bought 2 wh16ns40’s for my legacy case build. I’m planning to make one external at some point, when a compatible external case is cheap enough, primarily because laptops don’t include optical drives anymore.

There’s also the cloud, which is mostly hard drives, maybe ssd will be part of that mix eventually.

I suggest hard drives primarily (like a bare minimum of two copies on two different hard drive) as they are the most practical. hard drives are the best all around choice if you ask me when it comes to cost/convenience etc.

I tend not to trust anything flash type of storage (USB flash drives or SSD) as while it might be okay, it’s more susceptible to dying out of no where where as a hard drive (or DVD media) you might be more likely to get some level of warning before outright failure. so while SSD’s (or USB sticks) can be nice, I would definitely NOT rely on those as my sole backup storage option.

from what little I have read up of BD around here seems to be more susceptible to failure earlier than DVD. plus, in terms of convenience recordable media is slower/less practical to use and generally costs more especially once hard drive prices decline quite a bit over the last some odd years as you can get rather large amount of storage space for quite cheap especially in the 2TB to 4TB hard drive ranges. hell, maybe even larger hard drives for not all that much more.

bottom line for me when it comes to higher importance storage backup… I tend to suggest the following for that data… 2 hard drives, 2 different brands of DVD media (Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden). even for the lazy types, if one does not have a bare minimum of two different copies of their data on two different devices, they are asking for trouble. NOTE: I am slacking a little as while I got a good portion of my higher importance data backup on two different hard drives, along with the Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden DVD recordable media combo, a decent portion of it is still only on hard drives. but even with the minimum of two hard drives thing it still gives one a reasonable level of protection against data loss.

but with any recordable media, even if it’s reliable, it’s slow and sort of a pain to use especially if you got a lot of it to backup which makes hard drives all that much more appealing since it’s nice and simple. but it seems once hard drive storage became cheap, recordable media lost most of it’s appeal.

as an additional backup option… storing stuff online can be nice especially if you don’t have a lot of higher importance data to backup. I definitely would NOT rely on this, but I see it as a bonus to the usual HDD/DVD backup methods. if one wants to take a bit more extreme measures one could keep backups outside of their home as this way if a fire were to occur, they would still be okay if they kept backups at another persons home. the online backup helps with this to but I would definitely not use online backup only as a persons only source for backup data.

in the end… if something becomes too cumbersome/time consuming, it’s natural for us humans to take the easier route especially after a certain point. that’s why I tend to suggest the two different hard drive method at the minimum (or maybe even go with three hard drives for a bit more extra insurance (maybe even store that additional hard drive at another persons home)) as it’s easy and does not take much of ones time and still gives a person a reasonable level of protection against data loss and not to mention recordable media might be harder to use in the future as drives that can read the media might disappear as while I don’t think it will be a problem finding say DVD drives in say 10-20 years from now, but beyond this it might be a crap shoot. so in this regard, hard drives are the safer choice as those don’t appear to be disappearing anytime in the foreseeable future.

10 years of storage?

M-disc BD-R TL 100GB discs or Sony 128GB - all depending on how much I was storing and the conditions I was storing it in. Plus a Hard Drive/s of what is on the discs. This way I have fast access to the data if needed but if an EMP like event happens (solar flare, nuke, war, magnate city etc. can be local or even a targeted event only), I still have all my data on the Blu-rays. Nothing lost. If a cyber attack wiped out all my online HD’s they wouldn’t be able to touch the Blu-rays/DVDs.

Blu-ray/HD combo is still the best way I know, at present, to store digital media for long term use.

USB flash drives are the most unreliable storage medium ever. I only buy the best and they are still junk in comparison to BD-R or HDs. SSD’s can randomly die and are hard to extract data from after it is dead. Great for speed and editing video ( with a backup), terrible for long-term storage.

1 Like

I´m not shure how much data is really important to you.

My most important data like photos (also from people who already died), important documents, fill only 7 BD-R SL.

It´s also on 2 HDDs

But it´s not data which I need everyday, so the speed of the backup media isn´t that important to me. The burn process and scanning are things I do in the background while I do other things.

I have also other data which is less important to me, but I don´t want to loose. TV-series and movies which I recorded, some are hard to get on DVD/BD or which are to expensive.

It´s much more data, I stored it all HDDs, two copies, always different HDD-models and manufacturers.

I do it a lot of years and had never the problem that the two HDDs failed at same time. But there is still a risk, so the real important data is also on a WORM-media

And I´m not a fan of cloud for real important or sensitive data.

2 Likes