Verbarim DVD-R CMC MAG. AM3

vbimport

Just bought some Verbatim DVD-R discs.
Identifier says its CMC MAG. AM3
Has Verbatim quality gone away or has CMC stepped up thiers? I try to avoid CMC from past experience. I’m afraid to use them for backup. I’d hate to throw them away!

Verbatim has been using the CMC Mag disks in their “Life Series” disks. You can still buy Verbatim AZO disks online, or look for AZO on the label when you buy locally. AZO on the label is just a quick way to determine that they are MCC mid codes.

The CMC disks are average quality. Good enough for day to day use, but I personally wouldn’t use them for long term storage.

I need discs for long term back up. Bought them because I always had good luck with Verbatim and was out of TY’s. Although these discs read and spec. great they are worthless if they don’t last . In the past I have had CMC MAG.s corrupt after only 6mos…and swore never to touch them again! I will never buy another Verbatim disc if this is what they are selling. Guess I will have to wait for my TY’s and give these to my kids.

[QUOTE=James424;2591617]I need discs for long term back up. Bought them because I always had good luck with Verbatim and was out of TY’s. Although these discs read and spec. great they are worthless if they don’t last . In the past I have had CMC MAG.s corrupt after only 6mos…and swore never to touch them again! I will never buy another Verbatim disc if this is what they are selling. Guess I will have to wait for my TY’s and give these to my kids.[/QUOTE]

By all means stick with Taiyo Yuden media. Beginning in 2008 I’ve used Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R media (TYG02) in all my Panasonic, Magnavox, Philips, Toshiba and PYE recorders.

When good quality media is desired for use with my CopyPal duplicator or computer back-up I use 16x Verbatim AZO Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (MCC) series DVDs, 16x Taiyo Yuden (TYG03), or 16x Maxell (Ritek) media. I’m also having good results with 16x DataRight (Moser Baer) media from India. For routine short life material I use Verbatim Life Series, Magnavox or TDK media, these last three 16x DVDs are manufactured by China Magnetics Corporation (CMC).

The first photo shows the retail store spindle labeling of the Verbatim Life Series (CMC) at the left and Verbatim AZO (MCC) Series (the cartridge points to the AZO logo) in the middle. The JVC/Taiyo Yuden TYG02 “cake box” is seen at the right.

The second photo shows examples of Verbatim Life Series and Magnavox CMC AMG3 media purchased at Office Max.

Thanks for the info on these discs. I’m always looking for discs that have a long life span. After loosing tons of documents and pictures after only one year on so called good brands, I find the only one I can trust is TY.
Is there a list on this site that shows discs rated for longevity ?. All the lists I find are more concerned wit h read errors and specs. These verbatim AM3’s have fantastic test spec. readings but are worthless if they won’t last.!

By the way. The verbatim discs I bought are in the orange and blue std. verbatim wrap. These discs in the past were always AZO’s so I assumed these were the same. I didn’t know they were CMC’s until I did a test!

Verbatim do several types in the same coloured packaging so you need to read the label to be sure.

[B]Wombler[/B]